Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW46: Robert Louis Stevenson

Robin M

Other Bingo categories:

• A graphic novel
  • Somewhere you've wanted to visit (but haven't)
  • Seeking truth (theology or philosophy)
  • Weird
  • Microhistory
  • Getting Too Old for This (Protagonist 50+) ~  I found this on another website and liked the idea
  • Comfort books ~ I call them brain candy, but the easy books that are your guilty pleasure
  • Like 10

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eta. I just started looking around in Good reads and naturally started with Kate Morton, I have read two, The Lake House and The Forgotten Garden, the only one marked as Want to Read is The Distant Hours with the same cover as in your comparison. The painted one.....told you it made me want to read the book.

I looked through an old book journal to see if I could find clues about the book I'm trying to remember. No such luck, but I did read my reviews of The Forgotten Garden and The House at Riverton. At least now I know which other Morton book I read several years ago.

• Comfort books ~ I call them brain candy, but the easy books that are your guilty pleasure

That's what I call those types of books too. Coincidentally, in my reviews of the Kate Morton books, I refer to them as brain candy.  I knew they weren't my favorites, but over time I've forgotten how I felt about them when I read them. Mediocre and  brain candy are included in my descriptions. Certain parts of The Forgotten Garden have stayed with me, though. I had forgotten I read The House at Riverton. Maybe that's where my mystery memory of a boarding school subplot is! I tried to use the search inside feature on Amazon to find it. No luck. There are a few other scenes from other books I cannot place. Ah, the mysteries with which one must live!

• Like 9

51rs8BG8DIL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_.jpg         71Uo6rXjUzL._AC_UL320_SR206,320_.jpg

Searching (in vain) to find the title of the book I'm looking for, I ran across these two covers. They remind me of choices 2 and 3. Again, I'm drawn to the cover most like the second one upthread. 

Anyone else game for another round of Choose a Cover?  ;)  Do you prefer the counterpart to your choice in the first round? 

I didn't manage to vote in the first round but probably would have chosen the middle one.  For the Kate Morton cover, definitely would choose the first cover.  Maybe I'm not a fan of red?

I've read The Forgotten Garden and one other Kate Morton book and I found that once I'd read the first one, the second one was plotted so similarly that I was mildly irritated.  I tried a third but had the same problem so I've given up on Morton.

Sadly, cannot help with the subplot from a Morton book as I also found them fairly forgettable and that was probably 5 or 6 years ago that I read them.

• Like 8

Hello, BaWers! It's been a while since my last post. Since my last visit, I have seen several plays, including The Belle of Amherst featuring Kate Fry (runs through December 6 -- get there, if you can); finished all of the Forty Little Pieces in Progressive Order and moved on to the Album of Sonatinas (‘hard to believe that I have been studying flute for three years now); and completed (nearly) twelve weeks at my no-longer-new job. By necessity more than design, my bookish notes from the last six weeks mostly comprise dog-earred pages, screenshots, photos of books, and random lists. With this post, I will try to impose a bit of order.

At this point I have finished reading 140 books:

— 45 plays (33 by Shakespeare)
— 38 fiction titles (not including graphic works)
— 21 non-fiction titles (not including graphic works)
— 5 poetry titles
— 31 graphic works (six of which were non-fiction works)

Coriolanus (“Hear you this Triton of the minnows?â€) and King Lear (“O, let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven / Keep me in temper: I would not be mad!â€) were the highlights of my recent Shakespeare in a Year progress. Finishing the Sonnets represents a milestone, I suppose, but what a slog! At least I can say I have met my goal to read more poetry this year. Heh, heh, heh. And the otherwise tedious task was certainly leavened by Don Paterson’s erudite and irreverent commentary. Over the next week or so, I will quickly reread The Winter’s Tale, The Tempest, and Henry VIII (all of which I have, within the last two years or so (re)read) and then turn to The Two Noble Kinsmen, which I have, to the best of my recollection, never read.

The most recent of the novels I’ve read this year is A Whole Life (Robert Seethaler; translated from the German by Charlotte Collins). In 2015, I noted that Maria Beig’s novel Hermine: An Animal Life (translated from the German by Jaimy Gordon) is perfect, so comparing my experience of A Whole Life to Hermine is the highest praise I can offer this beautiful and deceptively simple novel. See also this review from The Irish Times, which draws parallels to Stoner (John Williams) and So Long, See You Tomorrow (William Maxwell), two books that would, like Hermine, easily earn a spot in my “Essential Bookcase.â€

Another of my goals this year was to read at least twenty-six non-fiction works. Monica Hesse’s American Fire and Katy Tur’s Unbelievable represent the twenty-sixth and twenty-seventh titles toward that goal. Both books recount fascinating stories that probably would have been better related in long-form articles.

From American Fire: Love, Arson, and Life in a Vanishing Land:

p. 23
[W]hile some of his volunteers thought he was a hard-ass, his military training had taught him that there were right ways to do things and wrong ways, and getting small things correct was the only way to make sure the big things worked when it mattered most.

p. 205
It’s amazing how boring trials can be. How even the most salacious of crimes committed under the most colorful of circumstances can result in testimony that is tedious and snoozy.

From Unbelievable:

p. 201
I think we dislike and ultimately distrust the media because journalism, honestly pursued, is difficult and uncomfortable. It tells us things about the world that we’d rather not know; it reveals aspects of people that aren’t always flattering. But rather than deal with journalism, we despise journalism.

p. 235
We really have to start teaching journalism in elementary school. People don’t even understand the basics of what we do anymore.

0b62bc64-95e2-47e0-b316-4fb74cfb5f8c.jpe

Regarding the photo:

— Before seeing The Taming of the Shrew at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater (review here), we attended a “Preamble†program during which the lecturer mentioned Scheil’s She Hath Been Reading. Naturally, I had to have a copy.

— I am reading Hard Times in anticipation of seeing the play over autumn break. (Reviews here and here.)

— Withnail and I arrived on my stack via its (loose) ties to Hamlet.

— And the rest: Family Life leapt off the shelf at me yesterday. It seems like The Road to Jonestown has been on my stack too long. The Hate U Give is one of the few times I’ve given in to “But everybody’s reading it!†We’ll see how that works out.

I'm off to catch up on the thread!

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 12

Some books that are currently free to Kindle readers ~

This one seems somewhat reminiscent of Ken Grimwood's Replay, a favorite of mine, ~ The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver (Middle Falls Time Travel Series Book 1) by Shawn Inmon

literary fiction ~ A Small Country about to Vanish  by Victoria Avilan

paranormal romance ~  Not His Dragon: Shifter Romance (Not This Series Book 1)  by Annie Nicholas

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~  The Yellow Wallpaper  by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Hello, BaWers! It's been a while since my last post. Since my last visit, I have seen several plays, including The Belle of Amherst featuring Kate Fry (runs through December 6 -- get there, if you can); finished all of the Forty Little Pieces in Progressive Order and moved on to the Album of Sonatinas (‘hard to believe that I have been studying flute for three years now); and completed (nearly) twelve weeks at my no-longer-new job. By necessity more than design, my bookish notes from the last six weeks mostly comprise dog-earred pages, screenshots, photos of books, and random lists. With this post, I will try to impose a bit of order.

— 5 poetry titles

Coriolanus (“Hear you this Triton of the minnows?â€) and King Lear (“O, let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven / Keep me in temper: I would not be mad!â€) were the highlights of my recent Shakespeare in a Year progress. Finishing the Sonnets represents a milestone, I suppose, but what a slog! At least I can say I have met my goal to read more poetry this year. Heh, heh, heh. And the otherwise tedious task was certainly leavened by Don Paterson’s erudite and irreverent commentary. Over the next week or so, I will quickly reread The Winter’s Tale, The Tempest, and Henry VIII (all of which I have, within the last two years or so (re)read) and then turn to The Two Noble Kinsmen, which I have, to the best of my recollection, never read.

The most recent of the novels I’ve read this year is A Whole Life (Robert Seethaler; translated from the German by Charlotte Collins). In 2015, I noted that Maria Beig’s novel Hermine: An Animal Life (translated from the German by Jaimy Gordon) is perfect, so comparing my experience of A Whole Life to Hermine is the highest praise I can offer this beautiful and deceptively simple novel. See also this review from The Irish Times, which draws parallels to Stoner (John Williams) and So Long, See You Tomorrow (William Maxwell), two books that would, like Hermine, easily earn a spot in my “Essential Bookcase.â€

Another of my goals this year was to read at least twenty-six non-fiction works. Monica Hesse’s American Fire and Katy Tur’s Unbelievable represent the twenty-sixth and twenty-seventh titles toward that goal. Both books recount fascinating stories that probably would have been better related in long-form articles.

p. 23

[W]hile some of his volunteers thought he was a hard-ass, his military training had taught him that there were right ways to do things and wrong ways, and getting small things correct was the only way to make sure the big things worked when it mattered most.

p. 205

It’s amazing how boring trials can be. How even the most salacious of crimes committed under the most colorful of circumstances can result in testimony that is tedious and snoozy.

From Unbelievable:

p. 201

I think we dislike and ultimately distrust the media because journalism, honestly pursued, is difficult and uncomfortable. It tells us things about the world that we’d rather not know; it reveals aspects of people that aren’t always flattering. But rather than deal with journalism, we despise journalism.

p. 235

We really have to start teaching journalism in elementary school. People don’t even understand the basics of what we do anymore.

Regarding the photo:

— Before seeing The Taming of the Shrew at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater (review here), we attended a “Preamble†program during which the lecturer mentioned Scheil’s She Hath Been Reading. Naturally, I had to have a copy.

— I am reading Hard Times in anticipation of seeing the play over autumn break. (Reviews here and here.)

— And the rest: Family Life leapt off the shelf at me yesterday. It seems like The Road to Jonestown has been on my stack too long. The Hate U Give is one of the few times I’ve given in to “But everybody’s reading it!†We’ll see how that works out.

A Whole Life sounds wonderful. I loved the review so thank you for the link. I have put it on my list of books to request in the new year.

Since The Hate U Give is available on my overdrive I added myself to the wait list. It's a long list! ;)

• Like 9

An  enjoyable column from the Word Wenches sites asks about favorite fictional animals.  Do you have one?

Ask a Wench for November: Those Wonderful Literary Animals

Georgette Heyer fans and readers of regency romances might enjoy this post ~

A Virtual Tour of Regency England: Clubbing in London  by Rachel Hyland

"When novelist Georgette Heyer created the first Regency Romance with 1935’s Regency Buck (discuss!), she began a tradition of both namechecking and fictionalizing, for dramatic or comedic effect, real locations, events and personages of the time that persists in the genre today. True, other historical literary endeavours certainly employ the technique, but one could argue that Regency Romance is its most sincere proponent, for what even is a Regency without the Elgin Marbles visits, the illicit Rotten Row gallops, the Vauxhall masquerades, the Gentleman Jacksons, Mrs. Siddonses and Beau Brummells that we have lovingly come to expect?

But what are these places, these events and these people that are so crucial to a well-told tale of aristocratic historical love (and/or lust, depending on one’s tastes) between the years of 1811 and 1820? And, most importantly, do there remain remnants of any of these worthies for the intrepid Regency fan to explore?

The answer: Yes!..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Amy, re Instant Pot cookbooks: I bought a few, one print book and two or three Kindle books. I even bought one of those monthly recipe books on supermarket stands that claimed to be for the IP. I'm not impressed with any of them.

I prefer websites (not all are created equal) and the big IP group on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf

https://thisoldgal.com/category/instantpot/

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/125878339293/my-top-paleo-pressure-cookerinstant-pot-recipes - We aren't paleo but they have a lot of good IP recipes (and even non IP recipes)

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/

https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/?s=instant+pot - If you do any freezer cooking, Once a Month Meals has some IP recipes for the freezer

ETA: I have no idea why my tablet capitalized supermarket (which I had to fix because it was bothering me). I do not do random capitals. I promise. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

I will think about your mystery book but I can't remember any where the miserable boy at boarding school was able to go home! In my books the son generally becomes distant from his parents and makes two friends who become closer than brothers! ;) :lol:

I've read that book too. I think it's called every book written in England between 1915 and 1960?

Your kids are persistent, I never got a note under the door! I will admit that a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was by myself in the house and didn't bother shut the door all the way, saving electricity. When dd tracked me down she actually closed the door for me before grilling me. Unfortunately she didn't turn the light on but one can't have everything!

Hahaha. That's really funny.

"When novelist Georgette Heyer created the first Regency Romance with 1935’s Regency Buck (discuss!), she began a tradition of both namechecking and fictionalizing, for dramatic or comedic effect, real locations, events and personages of the time that persists in the genre today. True, other historical literary endeavours certainly employ the technique, but one could argue that Regency Romance is its most sincere proponent, for what even is a Regency without the Elgin Marbles visits, the illicit Rotten Row gallops, the Vauxhall masquerades, the Gentleman Jacksons, Mrs. Siddonses and Beau Brummells that we have lovingly come to expect?

But what are these places, these events and these people that are so crucial to a well-told tale of aristocratic historical love (and/or lust, depending on one’s tastes) between the years of 1811 and 1820? And, most importantly, do there remain remnants of any of these worthies for the intrepid Regency fan to explore?

Regards,

Kareni

Love this! It's great.

An anecdote that I've heard before about GH. One of her editors was reviewing a book before publishing and took it to another in house editor because he thought she might have a few facts wrong. He wanted to know where he could go to fact check what she wrote. The second editors response was ... when we need to check a Regency fact we go to Georgette Heyer. She is the expert on the time period.

Amy, re Instant Pot cookbooks: I bought a few, one print book and two or three Kindle books. I even bought one of those monthly recipe books on Supermarket stands that claimed to be for the IP. I'm not impressed with any of them.

I prefer websites (not all are created equal) and the big IP group on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf

https://thisoldgal.com/category/instantpot/

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/125878339293/my-top-paleo-pressure-cookerinstant-pot-recipes - We aren't paleo but they have a lot of good IP recipes (and even non IP recipes)

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/

https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/?s=instant+pot - If you do any freezer cooking, Once a Month Meals has some IP recipes for the freezer

And now my afternoon is shot. I mean improved greatly.

• Like 9

Has anyone read this series? Appropriate for a 13 yo girl? DD loved the Etiquette and Espionage series but I've heard this one is a bit more adult.

51PafSWEZjL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Waving hello in a quick drive by while eating lunch.

Not exactly as has sex scenes. Quick way to find out if a book has appropriate or inappropriate content is to go onto amazon and do Inside book. Search for key words such as kiss or body parts such as br&@st or swear words. This is how I prescreen some books for James.

TTFN

• Like 7

Has anyone read this series? Appropriate for a 13 yo girl? DD loved the Etiquette and Espionage series but I've heard this one is a bit more adult.

51PafSWEZjL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Definitely not for your dd. She would blush for a month! The second book is particularly blush worthy for me and that is saying something! I just told my dd she could read them last summer (she is 19, guys) and was pretty relieved she read Soulless and hasn't had time to finish the rest!

I did just finish the third book in The Great Library series which starts with Ink and Bone I think. Feeling lazy at the moment. I think she would enjoy those and just a couple of mild romances. I was planning to recommend it for her. Huge cliffhangers, as in promising myself I won't do this to myself again, but I do. :Lol:

An  enjoyable column from the Word Wenches sites asks about favorite fictional animals.  Do you have one?

Ask a Wench for November: Those Wonderful Literary Animals

Regards,

Kareni

Love the GH fact checking! :lol:

All I can say is I now have Laura Kinsale's Midsummer Moon on hold. A hedgehog is a character in the book. A hedgehog!!! Obviously I enjoyed the article.

So my favorite literary creature is a really hard one because I love animals. I'm going with Piglet.

This reminds me for those looking for a great read aloud try 101 Dalmatians. Way better than the movie and quite different.

• Like 7

Definitely not for your dd. She would blush for a month! The second book is particularly blush worthy for me and that is saying something! I just told my dd she could read them last summer (she is 19, guys) and was pretty relieved she read Soulless and hasn't had time to finish the rest!

I did just finish the third book in The Great Library series which starts with Ink and Bone I think. Feeling lazy at the moment. I think she would enjoy those and just a couple of mild romances. I was planning to recommend it for her. Huge cliffhangers, as in promising myself I won't do this to myself again, but I do. :lol:

Heck, Soulless sounds like to much for me!  If your dd's looking for something paranormal/steampunky that is a bit less, um, steamy, maybe the Invisible Library series?  There is some innuendo (mostly characters pondering attraction, not doing anything about it), but nothing at all explicit.  First one is just called The Invisible Library.

• Like 6

Heck, Soulless sounds like to much for me! If your dd's looking for something paranormal/steampunky that is a bit less, um, steamy, maybe the Invisible Library series? There is some innuendo (mostly characters pondering attraction, not doing anything about it), but nothing at all explicit. First one is just called The Invisible Library.

Soulless isn't that bad as in you could handle it. The second book is the problem and she would want to read it! ;) But you are right she could handle the Invisible Library. I really liked the Invisible Library series.

• Like 6

I have mostly been listening to books recently - a mix of light fiction and non-fiction, like some of the Ender's Game series (at the insistance of my youngest and our current extra child, child being a description of the relationship, not their age) and A Man on the Moon.  I am still working my way through the Honor Harrington series, and still enjoying it, when I read a real book.

I haven't been on the board much recently because my life has shifted and I am now spending lots of time walking either the dog or my mother, or driving back and forth.  Hence all the audiobooks.

I miss everyone!

Nan

• Like 10

I think my book's title would be:  Musical Beds:  How to sleep in a different bed every night and not lose your mind (or your phone, your glasses or your book).

The sequel could be entitled:  Everyone Else's Brain: When do I get to use it myself?

Related to the discussion about productivity/organization type books, a friend and I are doing a year long Happiness Project challenge. Each month we are going to read a chapter in the book and try to figure out how we would attempt to make ourselves happy following her models.  The first month in her book, which she starts in January, but we've started in November because we're rebels like that, is all about Boosting Energy.  So we have each come up with ways that will hopefully help us boost our energy (physical and mental) and we are endeavouring to put those into place this month.  So far, halfway into the month, I can't say that I have more energy but I am thinking about the things that give me energy more and trying to figure out how to have less energy sucked away from me.

I could use this book. : )  I have gotten to the stage when my brain is my own again (homeschooling high school it most definitely was not) but I have come to the conclusion that my body is never going to be my own and I don't think I really want it to be.

What fun all these titles are!

Nan

• Like 9

On the topic of Robert Louis Stevenson ...

An interesting fact for those of us who are Flufferton inclined - DE Stevenson was his niece. (Actually she was something like a second cousin once removed or something but I never can manage to work that out.)

If you are not already a fan I would suggest starting with:

Miss Buncle's Book

or

Celia's House

Those books also get the award of the day for "Cover Art That Belongs on Another Book Because That's Not What Happens In This Book"

1200465.jpg  2426652.jpg

I love D E Stevens!  I had no idea she was related to RLS!  I can't wait to tell the rest of my family!

Nan

• Like 7

The middle book cover reminded me of some of the older hardback covers of Kate Morton's books, which is one reason I liked it.

51wwAE5J6EL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sooo...thinking of Kate Morton's book covers led me to thinking of her books. Then I starting thinking of a subplot in a book and realized I have no idea what book it is from. It's driving me around the bend! I thought it was a Kate Morton book, but I think I've only read The Forgotten Garden and maybe one other, but I don't remember which one. The subplot is not in The Forgotten Garden.  I'm pretty sure the book is another chunkster, though. IIRC, it's a minor subplot and involves a young son being sent to boarding school against the mother's wishes. Eventually he runs away and the headmaster and both parents agree it's not a good fit. This is only a small part of the story, though, and I don't remember any of the rest of the book.

Ring any bells for anyone? Pretty please?

Minor subplot, right? Might it be The Shellseekers? I liked that bit, having been in the position of people telling me I would adjust to being away from home when adjusting just wasn't going to happen, so I remember it.

Nan

• Like 7

I get to close bathroom doors now, but my youngest will slide things under the door for me to see. Even my older kids talk to me through the door to ask questions, "Mom? Where is....? What do I do...? Can I....?"

Same here. 

My title, "1000 Creative Places for Your Secret Chocolate Stash"

Even my 20-somethings talk to me through the bathroom door.  I still can't shut it all the way because it upsets the cat and the dog.  The cat is fed in the bathroom so the dog doesn't eat her food, so both are naturally very loath to have me close that door all the way.

Nan

• Like 8

Minor subplot, right? Might it be The Shellseekers? I liked that bit, having been in the position of people telling me I would adjust to being away from home when adjusting just wasn't going to happen, so I remember it.

Nan

Eureka! It wasn't The Shell Seekers, but that book led me to it! I didn't have any memory of reading any Rosamonde Pilcher books, but that means nothing. Clearly my memory is the problem here.  ;)   Anyway, I went to Amazon and did a quick search inside and that book wasn't it. But then I saw some of the author's other books and September jumped out at me. I had a flashback of wanting to get it finished in September (years ago) to not mess up my seasonal reads. I did a quick search inside and, sure enough, that's the book! I have no memory of anything else about the book, but the young son running away from boarding school made an impression. 

Thanks to everyone who tried to think of it and special thanks to Nan for sending me to the correct author! 

51zBE9T2IrL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 9

Eureka! It wasn't The Shell Seekers, but that book led me to it! I didn't have any memory of reading any Rosamonde Pilcher books, but that means nothing. Clearly my memory is the problem here.  ;)   Anyway, I went to Amazon and did a quick search inside and that book wasn't it. But then I saw some of the author's other books and September jumped out at me. I had a flashback of wanting to get it finished in September (years ago) to not mess up my seasonal reads. I did a quick search inside and, sure enough, that's the book! I have no memory of anything else about the book, but the young son running away from boarding school made an impression. 

Thanks to everyone who tried to think of it and special thanks to Nan for sending me to the correct author! 

51zBE9T2IrL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I wasn't sure I had the right book.  I knew there was a subplot by that author which matched.  I haven't read any of her books for quite awhile.

Nan

• Like 9

51rs8BG8DIL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_.jpg         71Uo6rXjUzL._AC_UL320_SR206,320_.jpg

Searching (in vain) to find the title of the book I'm looking for, I ran across these two covers. They remind me of choices 2 and 3. Again, I'm drawn to the cover most like the second one upthread (so the first one in this post). 

Anyone else game for another round of Choose a Cover?  ;)  Do you prefer the counterpart to your choice in the first round? 

Since I read Distant Hours with the first cover, I'm most drawn to it.   I enjoyed both Distant Hours and The Forgotten Garden.  Once I started reading, couldn't put them down.   I'm glad you solved your mystery of the boy in the boarding school.  

I get to close bathroom doors now, but my youngest will slide things under the door for me to see. Even my older kids talk to me through the door to ask questions, "Mom? Where is....? What do I do...? Can I....?"

Same here. 

My title, "1000 Creative Places for Your Secret Chocolate Stash"

Chocolate!    Privacy in the bathroom --- add in cats scratching at the door which sounds like finger nails on a chalk board, meowing for me to come out.   I try telling my son - this isn't the place to carry on a conversation from.  Does he remember. Nope.   :lol:

Yes please!

I'll get it in the mail in a couple days!

Other Bingo categories:

• A graphic novel
  • Somewhere you've wanted to visit (but haven't)
  • Seeking truth (theology or philosophy)
  • Weird
  • Microhistory
  • Getting Too Old for This (Protagonist 50+) ~  I found this on another website and liked the idea

Great suggestions! Would work for weekly as well.  Intriguing, educational, and fun! 

• Like 8

— 5 poetry titles

p. 23

p. 205

From Unbelievable:

p. 201

p. 235

Regarding the photo:

Woot Woot! Great progress with all your reads, especially the Shakespearean and nonfiction reads!   

Has it been three years since you started flute lessons. Time has flown remarkably fast.  We should get you and Jenn together to play for us!    

• Like 8

Ask a Wench for November: Those Wonderful Literary Animals*

Eve and Roark's cat - Galahad.  Charlotte from Charlotte's web has always been a big time favorite.  Also the dust bunnies in Jayne Ann Krentz Ghost Hunter series

I have mostly been listening to books recently - a mix of light fiction and non-fiction, like some of the Ender's Game series (at the insistance of my youngest and our current extra child, child being a description of the relationship, not their age) and A Man on the Moon.  I am still working my way through the Honor Harrington series, and still enjoying it, when I read a real book.

I haven't been on the board much recently because my life has shifted and I am now spending lots of time walking either the dog or my mother, or driving back and forth.  Hence all the audiobooks.

I miss everyone!

Nan

We've missed you too.  How is your shoulder going? 

Heck, Soulless sounds like to much for me!  If your dd's looking for something paranormal/steampunky that is a bit less, um, steamy, maybe the Invisible Library series?  There is some innuendo (mostly characters pondering attraction, not doing anything about it), but nothing at all explicit.  First one is just called The Invisible Library.

I keep forgetting I have The Invisible Library on my shelves and every time someone mentions, I think I need to buy that book.   :laugh:    Time for me to pull it out and read it. 

If I wrote a book, maybe I think I would entitle it "The Taste of Clothespins".  Or maybe "Unclipping Clipping".  Or perhaps "The Uneventful Trip".

Nan

The Taste of Clothespins sounds like a quite intriguing title.  I'd read it. 

• Like 6

Nan, Good to see you!

Question of the day:

If you were sent to live on a space station for three months and only allowed to bring three personal items with you, what would they be?

I am assuming it's very unlikely that I would be going on this adventure without DH. But if I am dh should go on the list in place of the knitting. ;) So for my three items I would want a time consuming knitting project with super fine yarn, a deck of cards, and the ability to keep a journal\notes.

• Like 8

Question of the day: 

If you were sent to live on a space station for three months and only allowed to bring three personal items with you, what would they be?

My first thought was my husband.  Second item would be my Kindle and charger.  Third, a three month supply of chocolate.

I'm at work today so dropping by with the question of the day:

If you were to write a book about yourself, what would you name it?  

My title would likely include the word chocolate (see above).  Chocolate Karenina has a certain ring ....

Searching (in vain) to find the title of the book I'm looking for, I ran across these two covers. They remind me of choices 2 and 3. Again, I'm drawn to the cover most like the second one upthread (so the first one in this post). 

Here I'd favor the first cover which is not the counterpart to my choice in the first round.  (And red is my favorite color, Raifta!)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I feel like I'm holding the thread hostage by talking about book covers ... again.

Three book covers for the same book. The first is the paperback release, the second is the American hardback, and the third is the British hardback. Which do you like the best? I find it fascinating that there would such radically different covers for the same book depending on the market.

16142131.jpg  12707039.jpg   13565909.jpg

I must admit the third cover looks very 'young adult' to me. Like something my oldest would pick, in fact.  However perhaps I am being affected by the fact that I recently agreed to read The Selection on her request (well, begging really)

61CSfauaFlL._AC_US218_.jpg

ETA -- this is not the cover that makes me think of the 3rd one above - but I can't find whatever book she has that does look like above so I'm including it anyway

Edited by LaughingCat2
  • Like 7

My shoulder is surviving ballet classes, dealing with the woodstove, and moving the cat and dog around, which is all I needed to do at the moment. We're still buying milk and half gallons and I have to do a set of exercises which I will have to do for the rest of my life. When they operated on my shoulder they scraped out a bunch of arthritis, among other things, so I'm actually more comfortable, quite a lot more comfortable since the operation.

Lady Florida - how was your husband shoulder doing?

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 10

Question of the day: 

I would also be bringing knitting needles already attached to a giant ball of super fine yarn (that counts as one time right?).

I would have to buy a kindle and load it with books, but would be willing to read ebooks for 3 months to avoid having to choose only one book to read.

For the third item I would commission my daughter to create some piece of art that features DH, both kids and all the animals.

• Like 9

I finished two books this week:

Ronja Røverdatter (Ronia the Robber's Daughter) by Astrid Lindgren. This was my 5th Danish book for the year, and my first encounter with Ronja/Ronia. I was enchanted! I would like to see the Swedish film, but haven't found access to it yet. Amazon Prime has a Studio Ghibli animated series, and I think I will watch at least a few episodes of that.

The Hunger of Memory: The Education of Richard Rodriguez by Richard Rodriguez. There were times that this book made me angry, and there were times that it made me sad. It is a somber memoir of growing up as a Mexican-American in Sacramento in the 1960s and it stops when he is in his 30s and poised for a career in academia (published 1982). I disagreed with PLENTY that the author had to say, but I do think he is a good writer and I did leave with much to ponder with regard to how language shapes identity. A fellow ESL tutor has recommended The Distance Between Us by Reyana Grande to me, and I expect that to be a good follow-up.

• Like 9

Some bookish posts ~

Our Favorite Fictionalized Scientists, Mathematicians, and Inventors in SFF  by Stubby the Rocket

8 Spellbinding Fantasy Books That Will Make You Believe in Magic  by Olivia Mason

Plus a one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~  The Chase of the Golden Plate by Jacques Futrelle  

Also currently free to Kindle readers ~

Mystic Tea  by Rea Nolan Martin

KIRKUS REVIEW:  "In Nolan Martin's (The Sublime Transformation of Vera Wright, 2012) latest novel, MYSTIC TEA, a group of eccentric nuns struggle to find themselves and each other in a convent.

Gemma stands on a hill, talking to the Hudson River. Arielle, fresh from rehab, wakes up in a jail cell to a vision of an angel. Prioress Michael Agnes reads through correspondence from the Vatican. Although each character is very different, they all soon find themselves at the same convent on a farm near Albany, N.Y.

In a novel that's similar in structure and tone to Toni Morrison's Paradise
 (1997), Nolan Martin tells the story from the viewpoints of each main character and truly gives each her own distinct voice--not an easy feat. Readers get a beautifully fleshed-out and complete look at their likes, dislikes, fears and pasts, all of which add to the intensity of the novel's main plotline. The story crosses all barriers of religion, and readers needn't be Catholic or even Christian to appreciate its universal tropes. The author brings her obvious spirituality and humanity to this wonderful, relatable tale of failure, love and triumph.

A gorgeous novel about finding redemption."

AND The Keeper  by Jillian Liota

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 6

Regards,

Kareni

Super interesting - thanks!

An anecdote that I've heard before about GH. One of her editors was reviewing a book before publishing and took it to another in house editor because he thought she might have a few facts wrong. He wanted to know where he could go to fact check what she wrote. The second editors response was ... when we need to check a Regency fact we go to Georgette Heyer. She is the expert on the time period.

And now my afternoon is shot. I mean improved greatly.

Haha, love that response!

Question of the day: 

1. My knitting! I'd for sure bring something using lace-weight yarn. 

2. Largest supply of chocolate allowed.

3. An iPod preloaded with lots of podcasts and audiobooks. 

Fun question!

• Like 7

My husband, my dog, and my guitar.

Nan

Nan, Good to see you!

I am assuming it's very unlikely that I would be going on this adventure without DH. But if I am dh should go on the list in place of the knitting. ;) So for my three items I would want a time consuming knitting project with super fine yarn, a deck of cards, and the ability to keep a journal\notes.

My first thought was my husband.  Second item would be my Kindle and charger.  Third, a three month supply of chocolate.

My title would likely include the word chocolate (see above).  Chocolate Karenina has a certain ring ....

Here I'd favor the first cover which is not the counterpart to my choice in the first round.  (And red is my favorite color, Raifta!)

Regards,

Kareni

I would also be bringing knitting needles already attached to a giant ball of super fine yarn (that counts as one time right?).

I would have to buy a kindle and load it with books, but would be willing to read ebooks for 3 months to avoid having to choose only one book to read.

For the third item I would commission my daughter to create some piece of art that features DH, both kids and all the animals.

Super interesting - thanks!

Haha, love that response!

1. My knitting! I'd for sure bring something using lace-weight yarn. 

2. Largest supply of chocolate allowed.

3. An iPod preloaded with lots of podcasts and audiobooks. 

Fun question!

I think you all just came up with a new type of weightless experiment  - Affects of knitting in outer space.  You could write a book "Knitters in Outerspace."    :thumbup1:

Check out  Water Orbits Statically Charged Knitting Needles in Space

During my interweb meanderings found: 

Europa Editions, a U.S. publisher known its focus on literature in translation, is partnering to open an English-language bookstore in Rome.

Benway, Bidart, Gessen, and Ward Win 2017 National Book Awards

Stars and Stripes: 10 Must-Read Biographies of Our Favorite American Icons

10 Space Operas to Read Before You See Star Wars: The Last Jedi

• Like 9

Some recent reads here ~

I finished Americanah  by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie which my book group will meet to discuss tonight. I would have been unlikely to finish this were I not reading it for my book group, but I'm glad I did.  It was eye opening in a number of ways.  (And .. spoiler alert ... it had a happy ending which satisfied my romance reading soul.)  I will admit that it left me with no desire to visit Nigeria.  

"The bestselling novel—a love story of race and identity—from the award-winning author of We Should All Be Feminists and Dear Ijeawele.

Ifemelu and Obinze are young and in love when they depart military-ruled Nigeria for the West. Beautiful, self-assured Ifemelu heads for America, where despite her academic success, she is forced to grapple with what it means to be black for the first time. Quiet, thoughtful Obinze had hoped to join her, but with post-9/11 America closed to him, he instead plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London. Fifteen years later, they reunite in a newly democratic Nigeria, and reignite their passion—for each other and for their homeland."

I also finished with pleasure (the still free) The Librarian: A First Contact Story  by M.N. Arzu.

"BOOK DESCRIPTION: First Contact has never been easy.

Despite the rumors, the US Government has been able to deny First Contact with an alien race for decades, but with good reason: it hasn't happened yet.

When a strange signal comes from an isolated area in the forests outside of Seattle, they find that First Contact is not going to happen with big ships and grand world-wide messages. Aliens, it turns out, like to keep their existence quiet.

Breaking a great number of rules, Seattle's resident alien has come back from a quick trip to his home planet to tell his human wife the truth about himself. Even if he has to do it behind a glass wall and with the military between them.

The Librarian is a contemporary short novel set in Washington State and dealing with first contact with an alien species unlike anything else in modern science fiction."

And I read and enjoyed The Christmas Throwaway  by RJ Scott which is a male/male contemporary romance.  (Adult content)

"Christmas is a time for giving - what do you do when no one gives a damn?

For Zachary Weston Christmas means sleeping on a churchyard bench in the freezing snow with nothing better in his future. Thrown out of his home for being gay, he is left without money or, it seems, anywhere to go.

Until a stranger shows him that some people do give a lot more than a damn.

Ben Hamilton is a rookie cop in his small home town. He finds a young throwaway, fresh from the city, sleeping on a bench in the churchyard on a snowy Christmas Eve. Can he be the one to give Zachary his own Christmas miracle?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I finished Under the Banner of Heaven. According to Goodreads I've been reading it since August. In reality I often put it aside to read other books. If I had read it straight through it probably would have taken me a week or less.

I also started reading the Queen Isabella book and like it so far. Thanks again Negin. 

I'm in one of those moods where none of the books I'm reading holds my attention for long. I'm enjoying each one but none are real page turners. I'm sure I'll get over it soon but I don't like when this happens. 

Also, good to see you Nan.  :seeya:

• Like 9

Gabaldon's books are addictive and I read them all one right after the other. I have the Lord Grey books as well just haven't read them yet. Have you watched the Outlander show on Starz?

I'm not a huge fan of Lord John Grey, so I'm not sure I'll read any of the others after I finish The Scottish Prisoner. It's more about Jamie anyway. I put it down to pick up a couple of other books, though, which is a bad sign.

Although! One of the books I picked up is a fantasy written by her son, Sam Sykes. The City Stained Red. Robin Hobb gave it a good review, which impressed me enough to try it. I just picked up The Scar, by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko, though, and that has sucked me right in. Russian fantasy in English translation. The beginning scenes remind me of those first scenes in War and Peace with the vodka-drinking dare on the window ledge.

I've watched the very first Outlander episode, but... in the books I kind of skim through most of the steamy scenes looking for important dialogue. That's a lot harder to do on the screen! [emoji5][emoji5][emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I'm not a huge fan of Lord John Grey, so I'm not sure I'll read any of the others after I finish The Scottish Prisoner. It's more about Jamie anyway. I put it down to pick up a couple of other books, though, which is a bad sign.

Although! One of the books I picked up is a fantasy written by her son, Sam Sykes. The City Stained Red. Robin Hobb gave it a good review, which impressed me enough to try it. I just picked up The Scar, by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko, though, and that has sucked me right in. Russian fantasy in English translation. The beginning scenes remind me of those first scenes in War and Peace with the vodka-drinking dare on the window ledge.

I've watched the very first Outlander episode, but... in the books I kind of skim through most of the steamy scenes looking for important dialogue. That's a lot harder to do on the screen! [emoji5][emoji5][emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have watched most of the first season of Outlander but am not a fan and tried the books many years ago. I need to try them again but keep putting it off. Apparently my sil is a huge fan and if nothing else it would supply conversation! ;)

I started reading what I think will be a great book today, Hellenic Immortal by Doucette https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31817216-hellenic-immortal?ac=1&from_search=true is the second in his immortal series. The main character has been around basically forever and seems to be in the process with telling his life story interspersed with current day issues like keeping too much cash and being under FBI surveillance. There is some reminiscent of the Iron Driud series with these but it appears this series was first by a few months.

I have been trying to quilt on a machine today but things did not go well and I have spent hours tearing things apart. I've gotten really quick with a seam ripper! Tomorrow is a new day and I will be pretty much starting over unless I decide to hide with a book!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5

Ronja Røverdatter (Ronia the Robber's Daughter) by Astrid Lindgren. 

Astrid Lindgren!! The Tomten!  :001_wub:

51Z6H8spdXL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg   91hGGdc4oSL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg  412ZgSmRHHL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

I'm so glad you mentioned her! It brought back so many memories...  I've been wondering lately why we keep packed away even our favorite books from the younger years. I imagine we would like to look through them on occasion. Such perfect timing with the upcoming holiday season; I should have time to get them out. Thanks!

• Like 11

Ronja Røverdatter (Ronia the Robber's Daughter) by Astrid Lindgren. This was my 5th Danish book for the year, and my first encounter with Ronja/Ronia. I was enchanted! I would like to see the Swedish film, but haven't found access to it yet. Amazon Prime has a Studio Ghibli animated series, and I think I will watch at least a few episodes of that.

The Hunger of Memory: The Education of Richard Rodriguez by Richard Rodriguez. There were times that this book made me angry, and there were times that it made me sad. It is a somber memoir of growing up as a Mexican-American in Sacramento in the 1960s and it stops when he is in his 30s and poised for a career in academia (published 1982). I disagreed with PLENTY that the author had to say, but I do think he is a good writer and I did leave with much to ponder with regard to how language shapes identity. A fellow ESL tutor has recommended The Distance Between Us by Reyana Grande to me, and I expect that to be a good follow-up.

Astrid Lindgren!! The Tomten!  :001_wub:

51Z6H8spdXL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg   91hGGdc4oSL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg  412ZgSmRHHL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

I'm so glad you mentioned her! It brought back so many memories...  I've been wondering lately why we keep packed away even our favorite books from the younger years. I imagine we would like to look through them on occasion. Such perfect timing with the upcoming holiday season; I should have time to get them out. Thanks!

The kids and I watched the Studio Ghibli animated Ronia -- I enjoyed it and it stayed pretty true to the book I think.  

And I didn't realize there were more books after "The Tomten"  -- need to find those!

• Like 9

Good morning! I finished Tyler Henry’s Between Two Worlds which is quite good and leaves me with much to think about. Have any of you watched his show Hollywood Medium? He is a fascinating young man and he has interesting insights into the world. I have always believed in angels and experienced enough synchronicity in my life with people and things appearing in your life who give you insight or nudges to take action.

What do you think? Are you skeptical or a believer or middle of the road?

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

Some bookish posts ~

A Hogwarts House Reading List: 20 Books for Slytherins  by Rachel Brittain

(I may have posted these previously:   A Hogwarts House Reading List: 20 Books for Ravenclaws  and A Hogwarts House Reading List: 20 Books for Hufflepuffs)

Rachel Brittain 3 Cozy Fantasy Reads for Winter  by Jessica Yang

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~  Can You Forgive Her? (The Palliser Novels)  by Anthony Trollope 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I finished Murder is Easy. Dame Agatha did not disappoint on this one. She led me right along to figure out who the murderer was before our amateur detectives did, then she laughed maniacally when the twist was revealed. I know she put red herrings in her books but also gave clues along the way so I'm always trying to be aware of both. She fooled me on this one. It was enjoyable as a mystery but I didn't like the two young people who fell in love over the course of the story. They weren't really nice people. They were decent overall, but a bit on the mean side even towards one another.

My book title - "An Optimist Looks at LIfe".

My space station supplies - 1. A fully loaded Kindle and charger (I'm counting that as one item and no one will change my mind lol) 2. My cat. 3. Crochet supplies. Like others I'm going with the idea that people don't count as your items so I can bring dh. Ds can come if he wants to but he probably would say "Have fun. See you in 3 months". :D

Also, put me on the list of skeptics. I had to google the book and it gave me links about a 1940s movie, so I searched again using Tyler's name. Yep, skeptical I am. Or cynical actually according to his definition. I don't believe in the supernatural at all, in any form. Could my mind be changed? Yes but only with solid evidence. Real evidence. Otherwise call me skeptical and cynical. :)

"Tyler says that in his life and business, as in most, there are both skeptics and cynics. He says cynics are the ones who have already made up their mind about who you are and what you do and, in most instances, it is all but impossible to change their minds."

• Like 5