Menu

Just Venting - Non-Committal HS'ers...is it just my area?

I can't stand when people are late. I'm one of those people who is always early because so much is unpredictable and I HATE being late.   

We went on a trip a few years ago to a local small amusement/water park.  The person organizing emphasized that everyone needed to be there on time because she wanted to go inside as soon as the gates opened and did not want to wait on people.  Every reminder she mentioned the importance of being on time, leave early, etc etc etc.

Guess who was late? :glare:

• Like 1

I can't stand when people are late. I'm one of those people who is always early because so much is unpredictable and I HATE being late.

We went on a trip a few years ago to a local small amusement/water park. The person organizing emphasized that everyone needed to be there on time because she wanted to go inside as soon as the gates opened and did not want to wait on people. Every reminder she mentioned the importance of being on time, leave early, etc etc etc.

Guess who was late? :glare:

And sometimes things DO happen, but if it happens with the same person twice, I change the start time for those people

Who show up late. I’ve even been known to have two mailing lists—one for the timely members and one for the others!

We don't do a lot of group field trips, but once we were invited by a family (that we didn't really know) to an event at a state park, an hour away. We showed up at the arranged time and waited. And waited. The EVENT ORGANIZER and her kids were an hour late (and acted like it was no big deal). I was so annoyed.

Back in the day, one of the *leaders* of our countywide group was notorious for being late. Not just a little late, mind you, but LATE. For a season, she was a co-leader of a youth award group with me; I fired her after our first camp out, because late and other issues. :cursing:

Herding cats.

I find there are fewer flake outs when things are made formal through IRL groups.  When you MUST sign up, you MUST pay in advance (even if $1), and you MUST arrive by X:00, people are more likely to commit.

We still got a drop out without notification on a recent (paid for) field trip, but it was one family, not a half dozen.  To be perfectly honest, it was a trip that I felt very on the fence about when I woke up that morning, too.  If I hadn't signed up and paid, I might have fallen on the other side!  I'm in no way saying that's okay, just that sometimes I don't want to do the right thing, either.

Adding, just last week, our co-op scheduled a free activity.  A co-director and I were running behind in an earlier meeting. Neither one of us wanted to go at that point, and people were starting to drop out.  It looked like we might be in the clear!  Then two people responded that they were running late, but trying to make it.  So, we went. And it was just our two families the whole time, not really wanting to be there.  :svengo: