Menu

Need help from the Christians on the board in comforting my Dad

Though I am not a Christian any more, I was raised in a very strict Christian sect. My Mom is still devout, but my Dad is in doubt. And it's really torturing him. He's having such a hard time. I want so much to help him, but I also feel so helpless.

One of the things that tortures his conscience the most is that this sect teaches that it is works, not grace, which results in salvation. While I'm all for encouraging good works, the problem with this teaching is that whatever you do, it's never enough! Without getting into too much detail, I will just say that this organization calls on its members to do something that is really hard for my Dad to do for emotional reasons (he just doesn't have the right personality/constitution for it). So he feels that since he can't do it, he is doomed, that God doesn't care about him and will forsake him.

I didn't learn until I was an adult that many (most?) Christians believe in grace. Could you please share more about this teaching with me, so that I could pass it on to him? Are there scriptures that could comfort him? Anything I could point him to that could bring him some peace?

I am so grateful for ANY help. My Dad is such a good man, he has a good heart. He doesn't deserve to feel this way.

:grouphug: Greta - what a sweet, kind daughter you are!

The one that immediately jumps out at me is Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

That gets to the gist of it - it is God who does the working, not us.

I feel for your Dad - what a difficult place he's in.

You are so wonderful to want to do this for him, especially since you are not a Christian yourself. I will be praying that he has a full understanding of just how loving and merciful our God is. To know Christ has been the most rewarding and fulfilling relationship of my whole entire life. I want everyone to know this kind of love and joy. It is unlike any other.

Here is a link to a description of salvation through faith that I think is great. It has lots of scripture references in it.

http://www.abideinchrist.com/selah/oct14.html

Here is another verse

Titus 3:4-7

But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us richly through Christ Jesus our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

I also wanted to clarify that the meaning of hope in the Bible is different than how we often think of it. It is not wishing that something would happen but it is a confident assurance and expectation of something that will certainly come to pass because Jesus accomplished it for us and paid the full price for our redemption so we could be adopted into His family.

Romans chapter 4 talks about this as well.

Jesus often spoke in metaphors so we could understand better. One of these was that He is the shepherd who gives His life for His sheep (those who believe in Him)

Here is a verse that says once we belong to Him we are His forever.

John 10:27-28

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me: and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish: and no one will snatch them out of My hand.

John 11:25

Jesus said, " I am the resurrection and the life: he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die.

Edited by Lori in MS

There was a boy by the name of Steve who was attending Seminary in Utah. In this Seminary classes are held during school hours. Brother Christianson taught Seminary at this particular school. He had an open-door policy and would take in any student that had been thrown out of another class as long as they would abide by his rules. Steve had been kicked out of his sixth period and no other teacher wanted him, so he went into Brother Christianson's Seminary class.

Steve was told that he could not be late, so he arrived just seconds before the bell rang and he would sit in the very back of the room. He would also be the first to leave after the class was over.

One day, Brother Christianson asked Steve to stay after class so he could talk with him. After class, Bro. Christianson pulled Steve aside and said, "You think you're pretty tough, don't you?"

Steve's answer was, "Yeah, I do."

Then Brother Christianson asked, "How many push-ups can you do?"

Steve said, "I do about 200 every night."

"200? That's pretty good, Steve," Brother Christianson said. "Do you think you could do 300?"

Steve replied, "I don't know... I've never done 300 at a time."

"Do you think you could?" Again asked Brother Christianson.

"Well, I can try," said Steve.

"Can you do 300 in sets of 10? I need you to do 300 in sets of ten for this to work. Can you do it? I need you to tell me you can do it," Brother Christianson said. Steve said, "Well... I think I can... yeah, I can do it."

Brother Christianson said, "Good! I need you to do this on Friday."

Friday came and Steve got to class early and sat in the front of the room. When class started, Brother Christianson pulled out a big box of donuts. Now these weren't the normal kinds of donuts, they were the extra fancy BIG kind, with cream centers and frosting swirls. Everyone was pretty excited-it was Friday, the last class of the day, and they were going to get an early start on the weekend.

Bro. Christianson went to the first girl in the first row and asked, "Cynthia, do you want a donut?"

Cynthia said, "Yes."

Bro. Christianson then turned to Steve and asked, "Steve, would you do ten push-ups so that Cynthia can have a donut?"

Steve said, "Sure," and jumped down from his desk to do a quick ten. Then Steve again sat in his desk. Bro. Christianson put a donut on Cynthia's desk.

Bro. Christianson then went to Joe, the next person, and asked, "Joe do you want a donut?"

Joe said, "Yes." Bro. Christianson asked, "Steve would you do ten push-ups so Joe can have a donut?" Steve did ten push-ups, Joe got a donut.

And so it went, down the first aisle, Steve did ten pushups for every person before they got their donut. And down the second aisle, till Bro.

Christianson came to Scott.

Scott was captain of the football team and center of the basketball team.

He was very popular and never lacking for female companionship. When Bro.

Christianson asked, "Scott do you want a donut?"

Scott's reply was, "Well, can I do my own pushups?"

Bro. Christianson said, "No, Steve has to do them."

Then Scott said, "Well, I don't want one then."

Bro. Christianson then turned to Steve and asked, "Steve, would you do ten pushups so Scott can have a donut he doesn't want?"

Steve started to do ten pushups. Scott said, "HEY! I said I didn't want one!"

Bro. Christianson said, "Look, this is my classroom, my class, my desks, and my donuts. Just leave it on the desk if you don't want it." And he put a donut on Scott's desk.

Now by this time, Steve had begun to slow down a little. He just stayed on the floor between sets because it took too much effort to be getting up and down. You could start to see a little perspiration coming out around his brow. Bro. Christianson started down the third row. Now the students were beginning to get a little angry.

Bro. Christianson asked Jenny, "Jenny, do you want a donut?"

Jenny said, "No."

Then Bro. Christianson asked Steve, "Steve, would you do ten pushups so Jenny can have a donut that she doesn't want?" Steve did ten, Jenny got a donut.

By now, the students were beginning to say "No" and there were all these uneaten donuts on the desks. Steve was also having to really put forth a lot of effort to get these pushups done for each donut. There began to be a small pool of sweat on the floor beneath his face, his arms and brow were beginning to get red because of the physical effort involved.

Bro. Christianson asked Robert to watch Steve to make sure he did ten pushups in a set because he couldn't bear to watch all of Steve's work for all of those uneaten donuts. So Robert began to watch Steve closely. Bro. Christianson started down the fourth row.

During his class, however, some students had wandered in and sat along the heaters along the sides of the room. When Bro. Christianson realized this; he did a quick count and saw 34 students in the room. He started to worry if Steve would be able to make it.

Bro. Christianson went on to the next person and the next and the next. Near the end of that row, Steve was really having a rough time. He was taking a lot more time to complete each set.

Steve asked Bro. Christianson, "Do I have to make my nose touch on each one?"

Bro. Christianson thought for a moment, "Well, they're your pushups. You can do them any way that you want." And Bro. Christianson went on.

A few moments later, Jason came to the room and was about to come in when all the students yelled, "NO! Don't come in! Stay out!"

Jason didn't know what was going on. Steve picked up his head and said, "No, let him come."

Bro. Christianson said, "You realize that if Jason comes in you will have to do ten pushups for him."

Steve said, "Yes, let him come in."

Bro. Christianson said, "Okay, I'll let you get Jason's out of the way right now. Jason, do you want a donut?"

"Yes."

"Steve, will you do ten pushups so that Jason can have a donut?" Steve did ten pushups very slowly and with great effort. Jason, bewildered, was handed a donut and sat down.

Bro. Christianson finished the fourth row, then started on those seated on the heaters. Steve's arms were now shaking with each pushup in a struggle to lift himself against the force of gravity. Sweat was dropping off of his face and, by this time, there was not a dry eye in the room. The very last two girls in the room were cheerleaders and very popular. Bro. Christianson went to Linda, the second to last, and asked, "Linda, do you want a doughnut?

Linda said, very sadly, "No, thank you."

Bro. Christianson asked Steve, "Steve, would you do ten pushups so that Linda can have a donut she doesn't want?"

Grunting from the effort, Steve did ten very slow pushups for Linda. Then Bro. Christianson turned to the last girl, Susan. "Susan, do you want a donut?"

Susan, with tears flowing down her face, asked, "Bro. Christianson , can I help him?"

Bro. Christianson, with tears of his own, said, "No, he has to do it alone, Steve, would you do ten pushups so Susan can have a donut?"

As Steve very slowly finished his last pushup, with the understanding that he had accomplished all that was required of him, having done 350 pushups, his arms buckled beneath him and he fell to the floor.

Brother Christianson turned to the room and said. "And so it was, that our Savior, Jesus Christ, plead to the Father, "Into thy hands I commend my spirit." With the understanding that He had done everything that was required of Him, he collapsed on the cross and died. And like some of those in this room, many of us leave the gift on the desk, uneaten."

Greta,

The price has been paid, there is nothing that your father can do to lose his salvation..if he has received the gift, no man or thing can take that away....he has blessed assurance....this story demonstrates that gift....praying for his assuredness to be restored!

Tara

:grouphug: Oh, your poor father. I'm so sorry he is feeling this way. The scripture that was already posted is a great one to share with him.

The problem with salvation through "works" is, like you said, how will it ever be enough? What can we possibly do here on earth that will make us worthy in God's eyes? And how would we ever know that what we have done is sufficient? How could we be assured of our salvation?

The bible teaches that we can only be saved through grace. We cannot earn our salvation through works; works are simply a result of living a life of faith - the joy of our faith, of being given such a wonderful gift, create in us a passion to share this gift, and to give back what we can. Works are not the means to salvation, but a byproduct. A Christian church that teaches differently than this seems hardly Christian to me. However, as a Christian, your father's salvation is not dependent on the approval of his church. I would encourage him to read his bible, and try to separate the doctrine of his church from the true doctrine of Christianity.

Only God can see how hard your father tries to serve him. And it sounds like he wants to serve with his whole heart but is unable to serve in the way the church expects him to. I personally don't believe that God expects us to serve him in ways that we are incapable of serving, based on the strengths and weaknesses he created us with. He just wants us to try our best with what he has given us. And only God can judge how hard he's tried. I'm sure your father has many other ways he could demonstrate "good works" other than what the church is asking of him, ways that utilize his special talents and abilities and take his personality into account.

Your post really hit close to home, because my father has anxiety disorder and is constantly doubting his faith. He sometimes feels that if he had enough faith in God that he wouldn't be worrying so much, and that because he is worrying it must mean that he isn't a good Christian. It breaks my heart. I hope that both of our fathers can learn to accept God's grace for the wonderful gift that it is, and not feel like they have to do or be better in order to earn it.

Your post really hit close to home, because my father has anxiety disorder and is constantly doubting his faith. He sometimes feels that if he had enough faith in God that he wouldn't be worrying so much, and that because he is worrying it must mean that he isn't a good Christian. It breaks my heart. I hope that both of our fathers can learn to accept God's grace for the wonderful gift that it is, and not feel like they have to do or be better in order to earn it.

Wow, this must be why YOUR post seemed to speak directly to what I'm feeling and what my Dad is going through -- my father also has anxiety disorder! He is on medication now, and that is helping. But he really blames himself for being so "messed up" that he needs medication, which just breaks my heart. We don't blame ourselves for pneumonia or cancer or arthritis, why do we feel such heavy responsibility for mental and emotional problems?

I, too, hope that both our Dads can find the peace and comfort of which you speak.

The bible teaches that we can only be saved through grace. We cannot earn our salvation through works; works are simply a result of living a life of faith - the joy of our faith, of being given such a wonderful gift, create in us a passion to share this gift, and to give back what we can. Works are not the means to salvation, but a byproduct. A Christian church that teaches differently than this seems hardly Christian to me. However, as a Christian, your father's salvation is not dependent on the approval of his church. I would encourage him to read his bible, and try to separate the doctrine of his church from the true doctrine of Christianity.

I agree, and I have to say that this church is very different from mainstream Christianity in more ways than just this. I hope that he can come to see, as you say, that his salvation is not dependent on the approval of his church. But he has been raised to believe, since birth, that this church is God's "voice" on earth, and that everyone else has it wrong, and that to reject the church is to reject God. It seems ridiculous in one way, because that's obviously putting your faith in man and not God. But it's no easy thing to throw aside such deeply ingrained beliefs.

Only God can see how hard your father tries to serve him. And it sounds like he wants to serve with his whole heart but is unable to serve in the way the church expects him to. I personally don't believe that God expects us to serve him in ways that we are incapable of serving, based on the strengths and weaknesses he created us with. He just wants us to try our best with what he has given us. And only God can judge how hard he's tried. I'm sure your father has many other ways he could demonstrate "good works" other than what the church is asking of him, ways that utilize his special talents and abilities and take his personality into account.

This is beautifully said, and is exactly what I hope he comes to realize. Thank you so very much for your help and kindness!

I find the story of Hosea very beautiful. He is a prophet who God instructs to marry an "adultress woman" or prostitutue. He does so and she is unfaithful to him. She is living with another man and God instructs Hosea to go and bring her home. Hosea would have the right under Jewish law to claim injury and to have her stoned. Instead he pays the other man for her and brings her home to live with him.....The story is a foreshadowing of Christ. We are the unfaithful woman who sins again and again. By the law God has the right to judge us but instead Christ paid for our sins and will ultimately "bring us home". There is a beautiful song about this by a group called The Isaacs, who sing bluegrass gospel.

I think I have understood grace best after reading the book of Romans in the Bible. There are countless passages that really help to understand how I am powerless in my own efforts but am only saved through grace.

One of the things that tortures his conscience the most is that this sect teaches that it is works, not grace, which results in salvation.

I have never heard of a Christian who believed this though Jehovah's Witnesses are often falsely accused of such. So being ignorant of this, I may not be a lot of help. But....I do believe that works accompany faith as the scriptures bring out several times. So maybe I can help a little?

First, it is hard sometimes to do the things God requires of us. We can't do it perfectly as we're just not perfect. This is the case whether we're talking about bridling our tongue, dealing with a harmful addiction, learning to be meek, being a good Christian witness, whatever.

Sometimes it's something else that makes something extra hard because we want to do something perfectly or better than we're capable or to a greater extent than our circumstances allow. I would love to do my volunteer work, for example, to a much greater degree than I can being so ill and homeschooling my son and such. I want to do more. I really do. I don't think it'll get me in God's good favor any more so though. I just want to do what I can for others and for God. Sometimes I feel bad about not doing more. But God understands :) When I remember THAT I can get off my own back.

The same is true with your father. There are many ways he CAN do things. Let's say for a moment that he's one of Jehovah's Witnessses and the hard thing he's having trouble with is the ministry work. We're not all Jesus or Paul! But there aren't a set amount of hours JW's preach and teach. And there are dozens of different WAYS they do so. And he's not going to do it perfectly because he's NOT Jesus. So he does his best for the amount of time that makes sense in his circumstances and in the manner that he CAN do it. And wouldn't that be the case regardless of what "Christian sect" or belief system even?

But I really think he probably needs to do two other things regardless of what "Christian sect" it is. First, he'd probably find it VERY helpful to do some personal study on the issue. I have found SO much comfort in the scriptures. One lady who visited said that our congregation must not have God's Holy Spirit because there were people there with canes! She said that God would have healed them. My answer (not to her!) was to wonder what she thought Paul was lacking. Was he lacking faith and Holy Spirit? Because that man had A LOT of troubles including the "thorn in his side" that he just lived with. I learned I'm not less of God's friend and child just because I have some issues that make DOING for the Lord more difficult, sometimes even impossible. I think your father too could gain some insight, comfort, etc by doing so. Ps 55:22 might help him a bit :) And I love Ps 94:19!

But he may also need to speak to the pastor or elders or whatever (depending on the denomination). A lot of time these men can with the help of holy spirit really help, bringing out just the right scriptures to soothe the soul! I was hospitalized twice last year and both times I got visits by elders. They were so able to share with me Bible accounts I had never even heard of, scriptures I could meditate on, etc. I was SO thankful. So they may be able to change how he's looking at the situation (because it sounds like he may well be looking at it wrong if he thinks he can work his way into God's favor) or help give him peace for having a wonderful wish to do more even if his circumstances won't allow it.

Like I said, I'm not sure I was a lot of help. I can say I've felt like your father at times but I always know it's not "right thinking." God doesn't expect more from me than I can handle. He has never expected perfection from me. Instead, he appreciates me trying to live by his commandments (and asking for forgiveness when I fall short DAILY). His gift of life is extended for me. I simply have to accept and keep the gift "til the end."

I wish your father peace of mind soon :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

But he really blames himself for being so "messed up" that he needs medication, which just breaks my heart. We don't blame ourselves for pneumonia or cancer or arthritis, why do we feel such heavy responsibility for mental and emotional problems?

What does his religion teach about this? This is sure to tick off a few people here but I don't care. It is downright dangerous and abhorrent IMO that some churches teach that mental issues are sinfulness. I honestly feel they should be called to the carpet on it (and if someone is seriously harmed or killed over it, they should be held accountable).

Again, I hope for peace for your father.

ETA: Okay, I do care if I tick off other people, but I think it's such a huge issue, one that almost cost my friend her life (and hopefully won't in the future) that I feel very strongly about it and wish those dangerous places would stop such nonsense. Jesus would never have been so unloving or hurtful.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Greta,

Usually salvation by works is by misinterpreting James. Should your father bring quotes from James or say "yeah but James says...", it is best to have him read it to find that crucial relationship between faith and active works of obedience.

2:14 faith without works is dead.

The real question here is, what is faith? Faith is the means or instrument by which a person is saved. It is from the grace of God. Not of ourselves.(rom 3:26; 4:1-4, Gal 2:16) Faith is a response and typically involves 3 steps:

Knowledge of the content of the gospel, Agreement or recongnition that the gospel is true, and Trusting or a commitment of thyself unto God.

When James says that faith without works is dead, he is describing a faith that knows the gospel and even agrees with it, but has fallen short of trust in God. James is showing us that the failure to grow, develop and bear fruit of righteousness shows that the free gift of God in Christ has never been recieved. Thus, they want to save themselves. It isn't about the works. It's about faith.

Even the good works that we do are never perfect. They are acceptable to God only because of the mercy of Christ (Rom 7:13-20; Gal 5:17), so how can they save?

We express our love for God through doing what pleases him, and he in His kindness promises to reward us for what we do (phil 3:12-14; 2Tim 4:7-8). They show God that we love him, not that we are saving ourselves.

It isn't by works we are saved. It is by faith. If the church refuses to accept that, they lack the grace that Christ died for.

It is a very hard doctrine to understand and it is by these trials of faith (James 1:2-8)that one can humbly go to God and pray for understanding. I will pray for your father that he will be given wisdom in this issue and know what he must DO. :)

Dawn

Seeing the person write about James also got me thinking about his church requiring specific works that are hard for him. The bible is clear that there are different gifts. I believe that God would never have us all do the same works. I feel that it is wrong for a church to put mandates of how a person serves God. We need all kinds of service. Works should follow faith, but those works will all be different. This world has so many needs, but if we work together, we can meet them all. Some will be able to give financially to those in need. Some are able to go and build ramps for elderly. Some can show love to a person they see upset on the street. Do you see what I mean?

I was in a dollar store and the cashier seemed very uncomfortable about something. I asked what was wrong. She said she was in pain because she has kidney problems. I asked if I could pray for her, and she let me. I have continued to think of her often and lift her up in prayer. That was a good work.

We sponsor a child in an orphanage in Kenya. He has made dramatic changes in the 2 years. He has gone from sad and unhealthy to happy and healthy. That is a good work.

We invite families in our neighborhood to church, and even take some of the children with us. That is a good work. God will put us in the place to minister, if we will be open to show his love wherever we are.

Do I feel that I do everything God wants? Probably not. I'm not perfect, but I am striving to be like Him. That is all He wants.

We have all dealt with doubt at times. I remember a specific time our pastor was teaching about this, and I was truly encouraged when I realized what he said was true...

Those who believe and worry about if they are doing and being enough for Christ surely have faith because they care about this at all! Those who don't care about salvation and doing God's will don't "worry" about these things. It isn't sinful to worry, but we must not dwell on it. We use it to test ourselves whether or not we are growing in our walk or not. Then do something about it! Our love for God should be ever growing, which means that our appreciation for what he has done for us must be ever growing and with a swelling desire to be more like Christ.

It isn't a bad thing to "worry" once in a while. Use it to self evaluate. Use it to search deeper in God's Word. Don't sit on the fence wobbling to and fro. Learn and come out stronger.

Thankful for all that God teaches me through difficulties and trials.

Dawn

Edited by Sunny

I just read this verse (it was sent out in a weekly women's ministry email I get from my church) and thought of your Dad. It will be my prayer for him that he "being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge" and to know and find comfort that his faith in Christ is enough. :grouphug: to both of you.

Ephesians 4:14-19

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

I am amazed and grateful for the outpouring of compassion and help. Thank you all so very much. I am saving all of this information to share with him. Hopefully I can find a time and a way that he will be able to really hear and believe it.

Much gratitude,

Greta

Does your father like to read? A book that really helped me to understand grace better was Grace Walk by Steve McVey. It's written in a very simple way, but somehow is able to communicate valuable truths.

Here's a link to the author's website: http://www.gracewalk.org/

If a book is too much for him to tackle, some of the newsletter articles are also very good.

Lori

It is downright dangerous and abhorrent IMO that some churches teach that mental issues are sinfulness. I honestly feel they should be called to the carpet on it (and if someone is seriously harmed or killed over it, they should be held accountable).

His church does not teach that mental illness is sinful. I think that they don't really know how to deal with it, so he's not getting the support that he needs. But they are certainly not making it worse by teaching that it's sin. This is really his own "hang-up" if that's the right term.

Does your father like to read? A book that really helped me to understand grace better was Grace Walk by Steve McVey. It's written in a very simple way, but somehow is able to communicate valuable truths.

Here's a link to the author's website: http://www.gracewalk.org/

If a book is too much for him to tackle, some of the newsletter articles are also very good.

Lori

Unfortunately, my Dad is not much of a reader. But I want to thank you for the link because it led me to some of Steve McVey's youtube videos. I think he will definitely watch those, and if that sparks his interest, he might read the articles or even the book. Thanks!

Wow, this must be why YOUR post seemed to speak directly to what I'm feeling and what my Dad is going through -- my father also has anxiety disorder! He is on medication now, and that is helping. But he really blames himself for being so "messed up" that he needs medication, which just breaks my heart. We don't blame ourselves for pneumonia or cancer or arthritis, why do we feel such heavy responsibility for mental and emotional problems?

I, too, hope that both our Dads can find the peace and comfort of which you speak.

Thanks for your kind words. :001_smile: It's really hard, watching someone suffer needlessly with feelings of guilt and inadequacy. I wanted to share something else, written by C.S. Lewis in his book Mere Christianity, that has helped my father:

"......Christians are told not to judge. We see only the results which a man's choices make out of his raw material. But God does not judge him on the raw material at all, but on what he has done with it. Most of the man's psychological make-up is probably due to his body - when his body dies, all that will fall off him, and the real central man, the thing that chose, that made the best or the worst out of this material, will stand naked. All sorts of nice things which we thought our own, but which were really due to a good digestion, will fall off some of us: all sorts of nasty things which were due to complexes or bad health will fall off others. We shall then, for the first time, see every one as he really was. There will be surprises."

:grouphug:

...the link because it led me to some of Steve McVey's youtube videos. I think he will definitely watch those, and if that sparks his interest, he might read the articles or even the book. Thanks!

Great idea! I just watched a few of his 101 Lies Taught in Church Every Sunday, and Lie #34 was right on track:

Lori