Menu

Does anyone make a truly small smartphone that you recommend?

Veritaserum

I've only ever used iPhones and have had positive experiences with the models I've had. My iPhone 5 is dying, but I have resisted upgrading to a new iPhone because all the newer models are wider and longer. My hands are small and I want to be able to used my phone with one hand. Anything bigger than my 5 feels like trying to operate a tablet one-handed--awkward and uncomfortable. I could get an iPhone SE, which is the same size as my 5, but I'm worried it's already out of date in terms of hardware because it's from generation 6 of iPhone.

An internet search shows that the larger size of the newer iPhones (6, 7, 8--not the plus versions which are even bigger) is about as small as smartphones get these days (5.45 inches long). My husband has a 6 and my thumb comes nowhere close to being able to reach the top of the screen. I have to slide the phone up and down in my palm to reach the edges. He likes it because he has big hands. My thumb stops at his thumb's knuckle, to give you a size comparison. I could try using his for a day to see if the length is that big a deal, but I'm also interested in investigating my other options--if there are any. Every phone I look at advertises a new, bigger screen--the opposite of what I want.

My iPhone 5 is 4.87 inches long and 2.31 inches wide. The size is comfortable and I can use it with one hand. Do you have something that's in this size range?

Or, if you have small hands and a big phone, is it as awful as I'm imagining? I also want to be able to fit it into my back pocket or an armband for exercise or in a small purse (and still have room for my wallet and keys).

• Like 1

I've only ever used iPhones and have had positive experiences with the models I've had. My iPhone 5 is dying, but I have resisted upgrading to a new iPhone because all the newer models are wider and longer. My hands are small and I want to be able to used my phone with one hand. Anything bigger than my 5 feels like trying to operate a tablet one-handed--awkward and uncomfortable. I could get an iPhone SE, which is the same size as my 5, but I'm worried it's already out of date in terms of hardware because it's from generation 6 of iPhone.

An internet search shows that the larger size of the newer iPhones (6, 7, 8--not the plus versions which are even bigger) is about as small as smartphones get these days (5.45 inches long). My husband has a 6 and my thumb comes nowhere close to being able to reach the top of the screen. I have to slide the phone up and down in my palm to reach the edges. He likes it because he has big hands. My thumb stops at his thumb's knuckle, to give you a size comparison. I could try using his for a day to see if the length is that big a deal, but I'm also interested in investigating my other options--if there are any. Every phone I look at advertises a new, bigger screen--the opposite of what I want.

My iPhone 5 is 4.87 inches long and 2.31 inches wide. The size is comfortable and I can use it with one hand. Do you have something that's in this size range?

Or, if you have small hands and a big phone, is it as awful as I'm imagining? I also want to be able to fit it into my back pocket or an armband for exercise or in a small purse (and still have room for my wallet and keys).

I did the Iphone SE thing because I was nervous \going to the bigger size.

The phone I've had the last year+ is a iphone 6s, though and -- its not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I don't find myself constantly wishing it were smaller or anything. And I do wonder if I could get used to a smaller screen again now that I've had the bigger one.

(It still fits in my pocket. And a fanny pack purse when I wear one)

Edited by vonfirmath

Big displays are nice but yes the phones are bigger. My old Samsung Android has a 4.5" display. My wife's Motorola has a 5" display. DDs Motorola has a 5.5" display. Put them on the kitchen table and it's easy to note the larger physical size of the handset.  I think when my Samsung dies (or replacement batteries are not available) I might go up to a 5" display, but probably nothing larger.   I will switch to Motorola or Lenovo when the Samsung dies.

A woman can put a larger phone into her purse, but I keep my phone in my right front pants pocket with my wallet and it would be hard to stuff a larger phone in there. 

My stepsons company gave him a Lenovo Phablet to use.  Very nice. However, I don't think I could get it into my pocket and also I believe it would be extremely uncomfortable to hold to talk, for more than 2 or 3 minutes.

So, you are correct to contemplate staying with a smaller display and a phone that is physically smaller.

Good luck with whatever you select!

The SE is on par with the iPhone 6S processor. However, it doesn't need the same processing horsepower as a phone with a larger display. I think you would find it a camera upgrade as well.

If you're looking for a bargain, I think an iPhone 5S from eBay would even be a small upgrade since you'd be getting Touch ID. An iPhone 5C would be even cheaper and yet be a half step better than the 5 in terms of radio chipset if you have any problems with cell reception. The performance would be about the same as the iPhone 5.

I just updated a couple of our 5Cs to 5S and have been pleased. The 5S isn't a huge upgrade, but it does let you upgrade to iOS 11 if you'd like.