Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW44: Welcome to Nonfiction November

Robin M

I have also felt many conflicting, strong emotions over the past couple of days, feelings I’ve struggled to put into words and share. What finally crystallized things for me was the stark contrast of metaphors presented in two adjacent posts, by Jennifer and Robin. Jen sees BaW as a front porch where we gather to talk books and share bits of our lives. Robin sees it as a sandbox where children play with their toys. The children must be monitored to ensure that they don’t break any rules, and bad children who break the rules can be told to pack up their toys and leave.

Like everybody else, I appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining this space. But: that effort doesn’t automatically come with special powers of exclusion. It’s only a sandbox if you choose to see it as a sandbox. The sandbox, the porch, they’re both just stories. We all choose the narratives by which we live. Me? I choose to hang out on the porch with my friends. Pull up a rocker. Don’t kick sand in my lemonade. 

• Like 12

I finished Rise of Keitus (rewrite) by Andrea Pearson.  That's the fourth of the Kilenya Chronicles.  I was at 95% done and the main character was dying and stuck in the past and unable to Travel home.  And I was pretty sure the author wasn't going to get him home (which, obviously, she had to because there's two more books, right?).  Anyway, it was really good.

• Like 10

I find it sad that ANYONE here is feeling hurt or excluded. I might be newish to the BaW threads and unaware of all of its history, but I am not new to these boards. I get that what-is-too-political? is a grey area, but that grey area comes into play all the time on these boards. There are established WTM parameters for dealing with threads that might cross the line. There is a report button (*) that seems to get used with regularity, and there are moderators that take action when they think that action is necessary. I am admittedly surprised at the very notion that these BaW threads would operate with tighter or looser boundaries than the rest of the Chat Board.

* FWIW, I have never reported anything but obvious spam. 

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 4

Yes, I do try to abide by the rules set down by SWB.

Why not let the moderators decide if something goes too far? Honestly, it would be less work for you and probably less stress. It is a sincere question but I'm not expecting an answer - the question is basically a food for thought question.

ETA: I have no doubt that you try to abide by SWB's rules! I genuinely think all of us try to do exactly that.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 3

Why not let the moderators decide if something goes too far? Honestly, it would be less work for you and probably less stress. It is a sincere question but I'm not expecting an answer - the question is basically a food for thought question.

ETA: I have no doubt that you try to abide by SWB's rules! I genuinely think all of us try to do exactly that.

It would be less stressful, however I'm not going to report anyone as it is something I'm not comfortable with as we are all longtime friends, so there are different expectations when it come to what some would consider objectionable material. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

It would be less stressful, however I'm not going to report anyone as it is something I'm not comfortable with as we are all longtime friends, so there are different expectations when it coming to objectionable material.

To clarify, I am not suggesting that anyone needed to be reported and certainly not that you should have reported someone. Rather that there is already a board-wide system in place that seems to work. Everyone here has access to the report button as well as the reply button and the PM option. With a functioning system already in place that is equally available to everyone, I guess I just don't see why any additional monitoring/restricting of the BaW thread is necessary.

edited a few times for an attempt at clarity

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 4

I find it sad that ANYONE here is feeling hurt or excluded.

This is my overall feeling, too.  I like to think of us as an inclusive group.  It pains me that Eliana is feeling excluded but also that Erin is feeling uncertain.  (I shall now go and bury my head back in the sand or hide behind an Adirondack chair on the porch.)

As regards your thoughts on moderators ~ I can think of two who semi-regularly follow and participate in the Book a Week threads.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Angel - I was thinking about you today and about your daughter. Hope all is well with you. Hope you get some answers soon.

Bookish - Thanks all for recommending the Jack the Ripper book. Sophia loved it and is working on the Dracula one now.

28962906.jpg

• Like 6

I just finished a lovely Flufferton Abbey book by a favorite author Anna Lee Huber. I know I have recommended her Lady Darby series several times in the past. Her latest book titled This Side of Murder https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33019745-this-side-of-murder was just what I needed, a great page turning escape. ;) The setting is a Castle on an island in Poole Harbor. I have googled and National Trust does own an island there but no Castle mentioned, it sounds wonderful and is now on my list! Another island there is up for sale at only 1 million if anyone is interested. ;). Naturally WWI widow Verity has been invited to a house party where all the attendees are surviving members of her husband's battalion. Isolated house parties make for good Flufferton. One important secret is Verity was a member of the secret service herself. Lots of intrigue, murder, and a few great surprises.

Totally suitable for our gentle readers so ......

Yes, Amy, you would like it! :).

Angel, you would too. Thinking of you and your dd. :grouphug:

• Like 7

I haven't been around for almost a year, but one of the last recommendations from last fall was for The Elementals by Michael McDowell, and I finally read it. Was anyone else disappointed in the ending? I loved it until the end, but felt the ending was overdone or out of sync or..... something. Anyone else?  (I know this is Nonfiction November, but I forgot to ask in October.  ;) )

• Like 6

I haven't been around for almost a year, but one of the last recommendations from last fall was for The Elementals by Michael McDowell, and I finally read it. Was anyone else disappointed in the ending? I loved it until the end, but felt the ending was overdone or out of sync or..... something. Anyone else?  (I know this is Nonfiction November, but I forgot to ask in October.  ;) )

Apparently great minds think alike! I read this during last year's Spooky October, and here is  my GR review: "I kind of just picked 3 stars out of a hat. Things about this book I thought were fantastic - the description of the setting, the characters and the family dynamics. Just amazingly well-written and evocative. The spooky/suspense part was well done, too. But the horror/denouement? I didn't like it. But did I not like it because I don't really like gore & horror, or was it actually not well done, not right for the story, too much of a break from what came before? I'm not sure, I'm going to have to let this one sit for awhile. At this point it's a book that I really, really enjoyed, until the end, which I really disliked. But that could be my issue as much as the book's. "

• Like 7

Apparently great minds think alike!

:cheers2:   

Apparently great minds think alike! I read this during last year's Spooky October, and here is  my GR review: "I kind of just picked 3 stars out of a hat. Things about this book I thought were fantastic - the description of the setting, the characters and the family dynamics. Just amazingly well-written and evocative. The spooky/suspense part was well done, too. But the horror/denouement? I didn't like it. But did I not like it because I don't really like gore & horror, or was it actually not well done, not right for the story, too much of a break from what came before? I'm not sure, I'm going to have to let this one sit for awhile. At this point it's a book that I really, really enjoyed, until the end, which I really disliked. But that could be my issue as much as the book's. "

Yes!!

I remember a similar disconnect with Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague.  The ending seemed so bizarre. (Not gore & horror in that one, but....um... maybe misplaced and rushed is a good way to describe it.)

• Like 8

:cheers2:   

Yes!!

I remember a similar disconnect with Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague.  The ending seemed so bizarre. (Not gore & horror in that one, but....um... maybe misplaced and rushed is a good way to describe it.)

Totally agree about that one, too. I loved that book, but the ending felt like it belonged to a completely different book.

I've come to the conclusion that ending books in a satisfying way is really, really hard, so when it happens, I'm unduly impressed.

• Like 8

Happy Dance! We signed with a new contractor and renovation has started on our business building and they have begun tearing up the floors and walls.  :thumbup:    Will they be done by Christmas?  Hopefully, maybe, yes!  Keeping fingers crossed.

For our romance readers, a new multi part, multi author series which includes some of my favorite authors has been released -- Seven Brides for Seven Soldiers.

For our writers - Nanowrimo has started

Check out Amy Tan's interview with Poets and writers  -- Where the Past Begins.

Speaking of poetry -  read it forward's   Why Poetry is Necessary

I almost missed it  - yesterday was National Author's Day.  Off the shelf presents 13 authors we love .

It's national circle day which means Cookies! 

22894364_1738199532857424_59102024301553

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

BaW friends, if my posts have ever caused offense or hurt, I apologize.

I will bow out now.

No one wants or wanted to see you or Eliana bow out. Most of all, me.  Our whole 52 Book a week family will miss you all immensely.  :grouphug:  

• Like 7

I finished Death and Judgment. This was my fourth Inspector Brunetti novel and three had somewhat unsatisfying endings. I understand why. They involve corruption at high levels, which is either common or perceived to be so in Italy. However, it slows me down in this series because I don't want to read book after book that ends with bad guys at the top getting away with stuff while the lower level criminals pay. I do like the series so far but it's not one where I can't wait to read the next one.

• Like 7

A rather disquieting post ~

Some Of The Bestselling Audiobooks Are Voiced By 'Mindhunter' Serial Killer Ed Kemper

"Next time you're settling down on the evening and you pop an audiobook on while you relax, bear in mind that you may well be chilling out to the dulcet tones of a convicted serial killer...."

And Publishers Weekly has already released its Best Books of 2017 list.

This link will take you to the overall top 10, but you can see the lists for different genres by clicking the tabs along the top of the page.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

A rather disquieting post ~

Some Of The Bestselling Audiobooks Are Voiced By 'Mindhunter' Serial Killer Ed Kemper

"Next time you're settling down on the evening and you pop an audiobook on while you relax, bear in mind that you may well be chilling out to the dulcet tones of a convicted serial killer...."

And Publishers Weekly has already released its Best Books of 2017 list.

This link will take you to the overall top 10, but you can see the lists for different genres by clicking the tabs along the top of the page.

Regards,

Kareni

Re: Audiobooks. That's really weird. There's lots of audiobooks out there that aren't professionally done - my grandmother and great aunt used to read textbooks aloud and put them on tapes for the blind each week back in the 90's. Really strange things like accounting textbooks. They used to laugh about all the strange things they would end up reading. I wonder who are reading his books? None were listed on audible. I don't think I'd want to listen to them. I couldn't get lost in the story knowing that it was the voice of a murderer.

Re: Publishers weekly list. I'm beginning to wonder if I've ready any books released in 2017. Maybe not. 

And now back to writing my words for NaNoWriMo. Ladies, please yell at me if you see me back on her tonight because it means I'm procrastinating and I really don't have time for that right now. 

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 7

I finished Death and Judgment. This was my fourth Inspector Brunetti novel and three had somewhat unsatisfying endings. I understand why. They involve corruption at high levels, which is either common or perceived to be so in Italy. However, it slows me down in this series because I don't want to read book after book that ends with bad guys at the top getting away with stuff while the lower level criminals pay. I do like the series so far but it's not one where I can't wait to read the next one.

I've been meaning to ask this for sometime because you and I have a lot of overlap in what we like as far as mysteries. What are some of your favorite mystery series that you've read? I'm looking for some new ones to start as audiobooks. 

• Like 5

Happy Dance! We signed with a new contractor and renovation has started on our business building and they have begun tearing up the floors and walls.  :thumbup:    Will they be done by Christmas?  Hopefully, maybe, yes!  Keeping fingers crossed.

For our romance readers, a new multi part, multi author series which includes some of my favorite authors has been released -- Seven Brides for Seven Soldiers.

For our writers - Nanowrimo has started

Check out Amy Tan's interview with Poets and writers  -- Where the Past Begins.

Speaking of poetry -  read it forward's   Why Poetry is Necessary

I almost missed it  - yesterday was National Author's Day.  Off the shelf presents 13 authors we love .

It's national circle day which means Cookies! 

I'm glad to hear happy news about your building project. Hope it all goes smoothly from here on out!

• Like 6

This and that:

• I interpreted Stacia's bowing out as bowing out of the conversation.

• Woodland Mist, I have missed "seeing" you around!

• Robin, I hope your building project proceeds smoothly.

• The film poster arrived, and it is very pretty. I had not anticipated that it would look so pretty - initiating the  scratching-off is going to feel like defiling it.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 9

• Woodland Mist, I have missed "seeing" you around!

Thanks!

I have decided to give myself permission to just post about whichever books prompt me to post and to skim (or skip) the thread when I'm short on time. Hopefully that will help me find the right personal balance and still be able to join in. 

I love that when I pop in the thread there are always familiar "faces" having interesting discussions. It's sort of like Cheers.  :cheers2: 

(Apparently I see the thread as the local pub, which is quite interesting given that I'm a teetotaler!  ;) )

• Like 10

Re: Audiobooks. That's really weird. There's lots of audiobooks out there that aren't professionally done - my grandmother and great aunt used to read textbooks aloud and put them on tapes for the blind each week back in the 90's. Really strange things like accounting textbooks. They used to laugh about all the strange things they would end up reading. I wonder who are reading his books? None were listed on audible. I don't think I'd want to listen to them. I couldn't get lost in the story knowing that it was the voice of a murderer.

One of my mother's close friends also reads for the books for the blind project. Really wonderful project because it can be accessed by paraplegics etc also. When I had my back surgery the man who ran the exercise facility at my PT's only had the use of a couple of fingers due to a diving accident. He was an exam short of being a physical therapist at the time of his accident and was getting an accounting degree using books read by people like your grandma and aunt. Incredible program.

I couldn't find a list of books he narrated either. I love the convenience of audio books but he certainly would not be my choice of a narrator.

Two mystery series you might enjoy on audio.....

Inspector Gamache, Louise Penny(you knew that one was coming)

Elizabeth Peter's (I can't stand the child's voice but it seems to improve as he ages....I am far from done with this series)

Julia Spencer Fleming (Great series and must be read in order, did not care for the narrations possibly it was the first book as much but wonderful after that)https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/33986.Julia_Spencer_Fleming

Ethel, not sure if you are checking in this week because of your move but in googling for Amy I just learned that Julia Spencer Fleming's husband recently passed away. Cancer. :( We have discussed the next book in the past so wanted to update you since I know you have also been looking forward to it. I hope she does finish the next book.

• Like 8

Kareni - Did you ever read any of the Louise Penny books and I missed your post?

You did not miss a post.  I started Still Life and stalled after the first chapter.  I suspect I'll give it another try at some point.

A few currently free books for Kindle readers ~

Chips of Red Paint  by K. Martin Beckner

More Tales For Your Monkey's Mind bySteve Michael Reedy

Romance Down Under: New Zealand Romance Starter Set  by Tracey Alvarez

Adam (Riding Hard)  by Jennifer Ashley

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Despite the twenty or so new library books awaiting my attention, I've been primarily reading favorite books or authors.

I re-read

Anne Cleeland's  Murder In Thrall (A New Scotland Yard Mystery Book 1)  which the Great Pumpkin kindly brought me for Halloween.

the contemporary romance novella His Road Home by Anna Richland

Lyn Gala's alien male/male romance novels 

Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts, Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities, and Affiliations, Aliens & Other Profitable Pursuits

as well as her shorter FREE prelude that you can obtain at the publisher's site. The link is here: www.loose-id.com/prelude-to-claimings-tails-and-other-alien-artifacts.html

I also read for the first time Lyn Gala's shorter piece The Only Way Out Is In

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I just finished Lisa Marie Rice's  Midnight Vengeance (Men of Midnight Book 1) which is a contemporary romance with an element of suspense; it was a pleasant read.  (Adult content)

"Morton "Jacko" Jackman isn't afraid of anything. He's a former Navy SEAL sniper, and he's been in more firefights than most people have had hot meals. Lauren Dare scares the crap out of him.

Gorgeous, talented and refined, she's the type of woman who could never be interested in a roughneck like him. So he's loved her fiercely in secret, taken her art classes, and kept a watchful but comfortable distance. Until now.

Lauren had finally found a home in Portland, far from her real identity, far from the memories of her mother's death, and outside the reaches of the drugged-out psycho who's already tried to kill her twice. One tiny misstep—a single photograph—has shattered it all. She has no choice but to run again, but this time she'll give herself a proper farewell: one night with Jacko...."

Plus a couple of bookish posts ~

In honor of non-fiction November:  10 Best Nonfiction Picture Books for Kids (and Adults, Too!)  by Kathleen Keenan

100 Must Reads of Magical Realism  by Leah Rachel von Essen

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Karen: Despite the twenty or so new library books awaiting my attention, I've been primarily reading favorite books or authors.

Yes, I have quite a few few books in my stacks as well but still in reread mode. Currently reread #10 in Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series Shadow Rites.  Then on to Curse on the Land in her Soulwood series before the 3rd book comes in December. 

Thanks for all the links.   Tor.com also has me adding more books to already too large wishlist with their Aurora Australis - monthly round up of Sci fi thrillers and mysteries from Australia and New Zealand. 

23032474_1739140559429988_17264079109797

Hugs and love to all who are hurting or sick or having a hard time right now. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

Spooky October seems to be continuing as I read through what I have already checked out on Overdrive. I had a surprise when I started The Only Child by Andrew Pyper https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32620376-the-only-child mainly because I didn't know it was one of my spooky book choices! I really loved most of the book but the last third was a disappointment. I am not sure what ending I wanted other than not the one I got! The book's premise is there is only one monster who was Frankenstein, Dracula,and Hyde all rolled up together and he still lives today. Fast paced.

I am currently reading Ilona Andrew's latest book in her Innkeeper Chronicles. It happens to be one of the Goodreads best of 2017 books. I'm not very far but pretty sure this book might keep me up late tonight!https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28756485-one-fell-sweep?ac=1&from_search=true

• Like 6

I finished Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie. It was my first Agatha Christie. :leaving:

Does anyone have thoughts on how it compares to her other books? Are they best read in order or groupings of certain characters?

We are a group with several Christie fans so you may find many opinions!

Hallowe'en Party is not one of her better books. The good news is if you liked it well enough to be interested in reading more you are going to love many of the earlier books. As a general guide her books set in the 60's are generally the worst.

I took a quick look at Hallowe'en Party over on Goodreads before responding and noticed that the Poirot series page had what I suspect is good advice in terms of which books really do need to be read in an order. https://www.goodreads.com/series/51138-hercule-poirot.

I read her books in no particular order and enjoyed most immensely. She is an author I only discovered after we moved to England ten years ago and had an urge to immerse myself in books by British author's. That urge was combined with the fact that book covers were all different there and I was hopeless at bringing books home from the library that I hadn't already read. I turned to Christie and Sayers in self defense! ;)

While investigating our area in order to find a permanent home we stopped and checked books out in all 30 or so library branches our borough had at that time. No reserves I simply checked out whatever was new as we visited. I don't remember ever being overly disappointed and I have probably read 90% of her work. I do prefer Marple to Poirot generally. I also have a fondness for her other series that isn't shared by many. I really like Tommy and Tuppence but that may be because my dd at 12 did too!

A couple of my favorites are The Murder of Roger Ackroyd https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16328.The_Murder_of_Roger_Ackroyd and 4:50 from Paddington https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/140278.4. I am looking forward to hearing what you think of her books!

• Like 8

I finished Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie. It was my first Agatha Christie.  :leaving:

Does anyone have thoughts on how it compares to her other books? Are they best read in order or groupings of certain characters?

I say this as a big AC fan ... the quality of her work varies greatly. Some of them are classics and fantastic. Others are just okay. I've gotten to the point where I refuse to read anything she has wrote after the early 1950's because it all kind of sounds like *you dirty hippies with your long hair and loose morals ... in my day you could get a housemaid that knew what she was doing." It's a bit sad to me actually. 

I see Hallowe'en Party was published in the 1960's. That would have been a no go for me. Try her 1930's books. Much much better. One of my favorites is Death on the Nile. 

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 8

You did not miss a post.  I started Still Life and stalled after the first chapter.  I suspect I'll give it another try at some point.

An IRL friend just said the same thing. She said she struggled to get through the first three chapters the first time she read it and put it aside for a long time. She ended up packing it for a trip and tried it again and loved it. 

• Like 5

We are a group with several Christie fans so you may find many opinions!

Hallowe'en Party is not one of her better books. The good news is if you liked it well enough to be interested in reading more you are going to love many of the earlier books. As a general guide her books set in the 60's are generally the worst.

I took a quick look at Hallowe'en Party over on Goodreads before responding and noticed that the Poirot series page had what I suspect is good advice in terms of which books really do need to be read in an order. https://www.goodreads.com/series/51138-hercule-poirot.

I read her books in no particular order and enjoyed most immensely. She is an author I only discovered after we moved to England ten years ago and had an urge to immerse myself in books by British author's. That urge was combined with the fact that book covers were all different there and I was hopeless at bringing books home from the library that I hadn't already read. I turned to Christie and Sayers in self defense! ;)

While investigating our area in order to find a permanent home we stopped and checked books out in all 30 or so library branches our borough had at that time. No reserves I simply checked out whatever was new as we visited. I don't remember ever being overly disappointed and I have probably read 90% of her work. I do prefer Marple to Poirot generally. I also have a fondness for her other series that isn't shared by many. I really like Tommy and Tuppence but that may be because my dd at 12 did too!

A couple of my favorites are The Murder of Roger Ackroyd https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16328.The_Murder_of_Roger_Ackroyd and 4:50 from Paddington https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/140278.4. I am looking forward to hearing what you think of her books!

I say this as a big AC fan ... the quality of her work varies greatly. Some of them are classics and fantastic. Others are just okay. I've gotten to the point where I refuse to read anything she has wrote after the early 1950's because it all kind of sounds like *you dirty hippies with your long hair and loose morals ... in my day you could get a housemaid that knew what she was doing." It's a bit sad to me actually. 

I see Hallowe'en Party was published in the 1960's. That would have been a no go for me. Try her 1930's books. Much much better. One of my favorites is Death on the Nile. 

Thank you both! This is quite a relief. While reading the book I often wondered why on earth she is one of the most beloved authors of all times. It wasn't terrible, so I'm willing to try another one. Thanks so much for the insights!

• Like 7

Regarding Still Life by Louise Penny:

An IRL friend just said the same thing. She said she struggled to get through the first three chapters the first time she read it and put it aside for a long time. She ended up packing it for a trip and tried it again and loved it. 

Ah, that's good to hear.  (Perhaps I need to ask your friend what books she immediately read and loved!)

ETA: and a non-book related link ~  The 10 Most Beautiful Ceilings in the World

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

ETA: and a non-book related link ~ The 10 Most Beautiful Ceilings in the World

Regards,

Kareni

I love ceilings and haven't seen any on this list. Fun link. I think my favorite is the San Pantalon from this list.

In a vague attempt at book related....many years ago on my birthday dh told the dc's that mom had picked an outing and they needed to be nice because it was my birthday. After being in the car for over 3 hours frustrated muttering erupted very quietly that SHE is probably taking us to see some old ceiling somewhere. At that moment the sign for Harry Potter Studios appeared........ :lol:

• Like 6

I finished Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie. It was my first Agatha Christie.  :leaving:

I read my first Agatha Christie book this year, too. I read Murder on the Orient Express. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I needed one for a bingo square and took it as an opportunity to read a new-to-me classic.

• Like 6

I agree with others, AC is very uneven. My favorite titles are ones where she does something really unique and interesting - she had a number of "firsts" among mystery writers. I'd say my top 3 books of hers are And Then There Were None, Murder on the Orient Express, and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. And Witness for the Prosecution is a great short story. They all have legitimately interesting and unique twists, not just a bunch of red herrings scattered about.

• Like 8

A one day only currently free book for Kindle readers ~

The Life of Reason by George Santayana

"George Santayana’s renowned work of moral philosophy outlines his vision of the ideal life.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

George Santayana’s The Life of Reason stands as one of the most influential and beautifully written works of philosophical naturalism. In it, Santayana articulates his vision of human progression from chaos to reason and the pursuit of the ideal life. Focusing his thought on the lived experiences of people, these phases are traced through humanity’s many endeavors, including art, science, politics, religion, friendship, and reason. Drawing on a range of influences, from Democritus and Aristotle to Spinoza and Schopenhauer, Santayana develops a materialist system of thought that stresses the importance of imagination and spiritual experience.

Originally published in five volumes, from 1905 to 1906, The Life of Reason is Santayana’s most complete statement of moral philosophy and an inspiring account of human dignity."

Also currently free ~

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Years ago I joined in on a perpetual Agatha Christie reading challenge which has kind of gone by the wayside lately.  I had been certainly surprised to discover there were several different characters in her books:  Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Tommy and Tuppence as well as Ariadne Oliver, Harley Quin and Parkey Pyne. I was most familiar with Poirot and Marple. 

I really enjoyed the Spider's Web,  The Mysterious Affair at Styles, The Murder of Roger Akroyd, and And Then There Were None. Some characters drove me nuts like Tommy and Tuppence in The Secret Adversary.  

So much fun reading who done it's and seeing how the detective picks apart the clues to solve the murder.  The books don't have to be read in any particular order, but you can read by character or chronologically.   I would definitely recommend either Mysterious Affair or Murder of Roger Akroyd next.  

• Like 4