Menu

share your secrets for fantastic Kale Chips please!

Pen

Liking kale? I bake mine according to the recipe in Isa Does It. I’ll have to look it up when I get home. I make mine oil free and just bake them in the oven without adding anything. We really like kale, tho.

I haven’t made them in awhile which my youngest has taken to reminding me about once every couple of days or so.

• Like 1

I wash it, shake/pat it dry, tear it in bite sized pieces, spread it one layer in a large cookie sheet (one with sides, so maybe not a cookie sheet, but the sides are high like a cake pan more like 1" high), spray with olive oil, lightly salt and pepper. I cook it at 350 for maybe 6 minutes, rotate pan 180 degrees (oven cooks slightly faster in back), cook another 5-6 minutes - watching closely so they don't get too done. Remove and eat. Yummy!

• Like 1

I get rid of any big stems and tear into pieces. Then I put some oil on my hands and massage the kale, making sure I get each piece well. I put it on parchment paper in a single layer and bake on a lower temp (about 275) stirring every ten minutes. It usually takes about 20 min or so. Oh, and I grind some sea salt over it before baking. Then I take it out of the oven and eat half of it before it even gets a chance to cool!

325 for 15 minutes. Make sure it’s *really* dry. I do not add oil or anything else. I’m usually multi-tasking when I do it so I doubt I flip, stir, or turn anything.

And yeah, Laurie’s right. Watch it carefully-ish. Burnt is not tasty.

Yes, it needs to be very dry. I made the mistake once of not drying it carefully and it never crisped up. I do toss mine in a little oil with red pepper flakes or a hot sauce (such as Cholula brand). 

I find collard chips easier to make simply because not being curly, collards are easier to get dry.