Menu

Vanity contact lenses?

skimomma

My 14yo dd wants to buy vanity contact lenses as part of her Halloween costume.  She found some online that are "FDA approved."  She does not wear contacts and has never had a dedicated eye exam.  I think it is a bad idea.  At the very least, I think she will struggle to even put them on.  I am even more worried about fit.  Am I overreacting? 

For one night it probably won't hurt anything. It's the taking it and putting back in that generally cause infections. I'd just ask her optometrist for zero degree colored lenses.

That's the problem....she doesn't have an optometrist and I'm not going to spring for an exam for a Halloween costume....

I'm pretty much a "do what you will" kind of parent and am very hands-off about vanity anything or costume/dress-up. My kids have unnaturally colored dyed hair, oddly placed piercings, and tattoos. I think she's doing a good thing by researching what she can. She found FDA-approved, so it shows she's willing to do the leg work to find something "mom-approved" and safe®. What a responsible thing to do, and something to encourage! 

But the eye thing scares me. With someone under 14, I'd say no. With someone 15+ I'd let them make the decision, but I'd make them research the idea more thoroughly so they could make a more informed decision beyond "I want to."

Someone who is 14 though is at that tender age where she's part kid, part young adult. It's hard to say what I'd do. If she had a birthday coming up or some income of her own, I'd cover or split the cost of an exam for her to get real zero degree lenses - this being the most safe option, with the benefit of lenses that could be safely re-used. It might also be a financial point where she decides it's not worth it, thereby she gets to make the decision on her own without me being the Bad Guy. 

Or, depending on her personality, if I was pretty certain she couldn't get past the part about putting them in ... I'd let her purchase them and decide (again) on her own that it's not worth it for her costume. Lots of people need assistance learning how to put on contacts, and these are ones that are actually fitted to the user. A generic pair of contacts would be like trying on a pair of shoes - not all size 7s are created equally, nor are size 7 feet. If it's just a "good enough" fit, some of us will put up with the discomfort but some of us will end up taking off our shoes in the middle of the event.

But anything to do with the eyes makes me nervous. I'd go with my gut after seeing the pair she found online. My gut is likely to say no to generic contacts. 

My 18 year old has wanted red ones for years, and I haven't seen them as worth the risk.  He's 18 now, so we'll see what happens this Halloween.  So far he hasn't mentioned them, but he did just tell me he wishes I'd named him Vladimir, so his vampire fascination clearly isn't completely gone.

I think I have talked her down.  I am a bit on the line here because she would be paying for them.  She does not have the funds to pay for the exam and I am not willing to pay for that either.  The ones she found that are "FDA approved" can be purchased online without an exam.  I half want to let her do it because I am almost positive she will not figure out how to put them in and/or will find them uncomfortable....which would be a good learning experience.  But I also don't want to set her up to fail AND there is always the chance that she will have success but then end up injuring her eyes.

We are normally very hands off about these decisions.  She currently has purple hair, for instance.  This crosses into a safety concern which it appears I am not off base with that.

I think I have talked her down. I am a bit on the line here because she would be paying for them. She does not have the funds to pay for the exam and I am not willing to pay for that either. The ones she found that are "FDA approved" can be purchased online without an exam. I half want to let her do it because I am almost positive she will not figure out how to put them in and/or will find them uncomfortable....which would be a good learning experience. But I also don't want to set her up to fail AND there is always the chance that she will have success but then end up injuring her eyes.

We are normally very hands off about these decisions. She currently has purple hair, for instance. This crosses into a safety concern which it appears I am not off base with that.

Please don't let her risk her eyesight for such a frivolous reason! I think you're absolutely right to be concerned about the safety of these contact lenses.

And not all lenses fit all eyes, so even as an experienced contact wearer, I would never take a chance on something I could order online without a prescription from my eye doctor.

• Like 1

I wouldn't.

I wore contact lenses for years. There is a learning curve and they can cause eye infections very easily if everything isn't kept super clean.

I've let my kids go all out for Halloween before, but this is one place I would seriously draw a line in the sand, regardless of your finances.

No just no just no.

ETA:  

And not all lenses fit all eyes, so even as an experienced contact wearer, I would never take a chance on something I could order online without a prescription from my eye doctor.

As an experienced contact wearer, this is why I knew when it was time to suck it up like a pretty cheerful yellow buttercup and switch to glasses.

They make some really cute ones these days that aren't too terribly pricey; maybe she can find something that works with her costume, OP?

The chorus has sung along with the Fat Lady. Just let us know if you run into any more problems.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

I would be concerned that they are advertised as FDA approved but not really. If there is some irritating dye in there or a piece of plastic that chips off into her eye, I'd be concerned she could permanently damage her eyesight.

I think I have talked her down. I am a bit on the line here because she would be paying for them. She does not have the funds to pay for the exam and I am not willing to pay for that either. The ones she found that are "FDA approved" can be purchased online without an exam. I half want to let her do it because I am almost positive she will not figure out how to put them in and/or will find them uncomfortable....which would be a good learning experience. But I also don't want to set her up to fail AND there is always the chance that she will have success but then end up injuring her eyes.

We are normally very hands off about these decisions. She currently has purple hair, for instance. This crosses into a safety concern which it appears I am not off base with that.

• Like 1

Please don't let her risk her eyesight for such a frivolous reason! I think you're absolutely right to be concerned about the safety of these contact lenses.

Exams for contact lens don't just give you an RX for corrective magnification, as with eyeglasses. One's eyes are measured for shape and curvature - not all eyes are shaped the same. Am improperly fitted contact lens is a very uncomfortable thing!

It's not something I'd allow or encourage for someone who isn't already acquainted with contact lens for normal corrective use.

• Like 1