Menu

Issue with my dog - anxiety? pure behavioral issue?

dsmith

For the last few months, our dog starts acting anxious and annoying as soon as we sit down after dinner. What he is after is his nightly walk, but his behavior really comes across as anxiety, at least in part. He pants very heavily, plants himself right on dh on the couch, paws dh in the face occasionally, paces around, barks, etc. We just want to digest for a half an hour! He just relieved himself a little while ago, so it's not a bathroom issue. He is a very schedule-oriented dog, but he tries to move things up to earlier times if he can. Aside from hiding from him, lol, how can we fix this issue? It's really a pain in the butt!!

Our previous dog was like that. He was high strung and super schedule oriented and would pace and pant when it was close to his dinner time and again when it was time to go out at night (because he knew he'd get a biscuit afterwards). I agree that I'd work on a solid stay and/or give him something to chew on, a frozen stuffed Kong, etc. to distract him.

• Like 1

He doesn't calm down until after his walk, and then he is out for the night. This dog is really hard to train, but he is very good at training his humans, lol. Ds and I are really the only ones who can just ignore him, so he doesn't go to us. His usual way of getting what he wants is to bark until he annoys my mil or fil, who then give him a treat. Dh gets the attention when it's walk time. It used to be just a bark or two and he would settle for a bit or we could give him a bully stick to entertain him. The heavy panting is newer, and that is what seems like anxiety. It almost sounds like he's having an asthma attack. (He's a puggle, so his breathing is heavy anyway.) He can get like this when there is too much excitement - new people in the house, sil bringing their female dog around when she may be in heat (he's not been neutered for health reasons), etc. I think he probably is bored and may need more exercise, but for health reasons the one walk is all I can manage at the moment. We've been thinking about another dog - he used to spend time after dinner play fighting with our other dog. It's been a few years since she's been gone and I wouldn't mind adding to the family. Maybe after dinner is when he craves stimulation? I've been hesitant because everyone wants a large dog and I want a small to medium size dog. They are terrible at picking the right dog, lol. (Inactive seniors + chocolate lab = what the heck were they thinking?!?)

I don't know - the more I think about it, the more I think the humans need the training. I just really need to sit and digest after dinner. It's a lot harder for me physically to walk when I'm still somewhat full. We really enjoy taking him for his walks, and he is a very good dog most of the time. When he's not it's usually not his fault.  

Yup, he's escalating. That's typical. 

Imagine you put a coin in a soda machine every day after lunch to get a soda. One day you put the coin in and the soda doesn't immediately fall out. Do you just sigh and walk away? Wait patiently to see what happens? Or hit the button again, harder maybe, and keep trying? Betting the answer is that last one, and that is what the dog is doing. 

If pushing the button harder works, you may do that next time as well, even if you don't need to. 

And if his escalating behavior works, you are training him to do it. (them, not you I guess). 

If they stop it will probably get worse before it gets better (google extinction burst) but then it will get better. It's easier to teach a different behavior than to just outlast that one, hence the suggestion to teach him to go to his bed, or give him a bone to chew. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

Does he calm down if you sit quietly with him and pet him? Does he seem any calmer if he gets extra exercise? Has his diet changed in the last few months?

He actually gets worse if we sit and pet him. If I'm having a really good day I will take him for a short morning walk and he does seem a little better in the evening. Maybe now that it is getting cooler I will try just up and down our street in the morning. As far as diet goes, we finally managed to get fil and mil to stop giving him table food. It's taken years!! 

• Like 1

Can you walk him before dinner?

I've thought about it, but I tend to work better in the late afternoon. I usually work right up until it's time to cook. Also, I don't like to walk alone because I sometimes feel like I can't breathe (MS hug) and I have some trouble walking after about 30 minutes. Dh can't walk earlier - he is usually on the phone until we cook. I can do up and down our street by myself and may try that in the morning along with the after dinner walk. 

• Like 1

My dogs do that, pacing, barking, heavy breathing, suddenly extremely affectionate when they want something. It drives me crazy, so usually I put them in a lay stay until they settle down. Sometimes it takes only 15 or so minutes, sometimes longer. I've been known to shush the dog who's panting heavily. Believe it or not, she stops breathing so loudly! They don't bother me anymore and know if they do, they won't get what they want.

Dh, on the other hand, feels like there must be something wrong with them to act this way, so he usually gives them what they want. Guess who the dogs wake up when they want to eat at 6 am? I tell at them to lay down; dh will get up and feed them. Those dogs have trained dh well!

• Like 1

Can you figure out a way to exercise him indoors? Toss a ball for him while you sit on the couch?

We do toss a ball around and let him chase a laser. He loves the laser more than anything and he gets a really good workout, too. Dh hasn't been playing as much lately - I wonder if that is a factor as he is the one who is on the receiving end of the walk time behavior. 

My dogs do that, pacing, barking, heavy breathing, suddenly extremely affectionate when they want something. It drives me crazy, so usually I put them in a lay stay until they settle down. Sometimes it takes only 15 or so minutes, sometimes longer. I've been known to shush the dog who's panting heavily. Believe it or not, she stops breathing so loudly! They don't bother me anymore and know if they do, they won't get what they want.

Dh, on the other hand, feels like there must be something wrong with them to act this way, so he usually gives them what they want. Guess who the dogs wake up when they want to eat at 6 am? I tell at them to lay down; dh will get up and feed them. Those dogs have trained dh well!

Yes!! Dh has a low tolerance for the behavior and feels we need to walk him right away. I think this is the heart of the issue, but the panting is newer. I guess it is just escalation like ktgrok mentioned. Maybe I just need to send dh somewhere else in the house while I digest on the couch with the dog. :lol:

If I'm having a really good day I will take him for a short morning walk and he does seem a little better in the evening. Maybe now that it is getting cooler I will try just up and down our street in the morning.  

Do you have a yard where you could put a lead line or tie out? The dog can be outside and moving around a bit, that alone might help calm him. Outside is a much more 'complicated' environment than inside, with many more smells and visuals, the sun on your back, a sudden cloud, a gust of breeze . . . it's much more stimulus and thus more tiring. 

There is a reason kids sleep better after a long day outside!

We do toss a ball around and let him chase a laser. He loves the laser more than anything and he gets a really good workout, too. Dh hasn't been playing as much lately - I wonder if that is a factor as he is the one who is on the receiving end of the walk time behavior. 

I wouldn't use a laser with a dog. They can trigger OCD like behaviors in some dogs. I definitely would NOT use one with a high strung, anxious dog. Ever.

If he's food motivated I'd get some toys where he has to use his brain to get the treat. Even a frozen Kong can help, or hiding treats under (empty) cardboard boxes or in paper bags. I'd also do a LOT of training--obedience and tricks. Two or three fifteen minute sessions through the day or one longer one in the afternoon before his stressy time starts. I'd try to stimulate/tire him out mentally as much as possible. IME that works a lot better than increasing physical exercise. It's good and necessary to get enough physical exercise, of course. But mental exercise tires a dog out faster, and most dogs don't get nearly enough.

• Like 1

I think he probably is bored and may need more exercise, 

The panting can be a sign of anxiety, but what you describe sounds more like over-excitement.  You know your dog.  He is schedule oriented and needs more stimulation.  He gets what he wants by pestering people in the house, and you can't change their behavior, so trying to train the dog on your own is impossible.  

Use that information to your advantage.  Set up a new routine for the dog that gives him the challenge he is looking for, and that doesn't depend on the other humans in the house.  Have you tried any puzzles with your pup?  They are great for keeping a dog distracted/occupied for short periods of time.  We love this one for training puzzle beginners, but there are tons out there that are more or less challenging, depending on your dog's needs.  

• Like 2

I wouldn't use a laser with a dog. They can trigger OCD like behaviors in some dogs. I definitely would NOT use one with a high strung, anxious dog. Ever.

If he's food motivated I'd get some toys where he has to use his brain to get the treat. Even a frozen Kong can help, or hiding treats under (empty) cardboard boxes or in paper bags. I'd also do a LOT of training--obedience and tricks. Two or three fifteen minute sessions through the day or one longer one in the afternoon before his stressy time starts. I'd try to stimulate/tire him out mentally as much as possible. IME that works a lot better than increasing physical exercise. It's good and necessary to get enough physical exercise, of course. But mental exercise tires a dog out faster, and most dogs don't get nearly enough.

Wow, I never would have thought that, but I do see signs of that. He will still look for the laser after it is gone. Thanks for the link. I haven't taught him a trick in a while. That would be a good activity for both of us! 

• Like 1

Do you have a yard where you could put a lead line or tie out? The dog can be outside and moving around a bit, that alone might help calm him. Outside is a much more 'complicated' environment than inside, with many more smells and visuals, the sun on your back, a sudden cloud, a gust of breeze . . . it's much more stimulus and thus more tiring. 

There is a reason kids sleep better after a long day outside!

We can't leave him tied out alone, but I do sit out there with him throughout the day. We are hoping to fence in the yard in the spring. He loves to watch the airplanes flying over the house!

The panting can be a sign of anxiety, but what you describe sounds more like over-excitement.  You know your dog.  He is schedule oriented and needs more stimulation.  He gets what he wants by pestering people in the house, and you can't change their behavior, so trying to train the dog on your own is impossible.  

Use that information to your advantage.  Set up a new routine for the dog that gives him the challenge he is looking for, and that doesn't depend on the other humans in the house.  Have you tried any puzzles with your pup?  They are great for keeping a dog distracted/occupied for short periods of time.  We love this one for training puzzle beginners, but there are tons out there that are more or less challenging, depending on your dog's needs.  

He loves puzzles, and we actually have the one you linked. I'd like to find a more difficult one for him but he hasn't used what he has in a while, so I'll definitely bring them out for some play time.