Menu

Adventure books for 11 yo boys?

My sons really seem to dislike fantasy. They loved Redwall, but they have not been taken by Darkness Rising or Aragon. We've tried many of the series on Battlemaiden's thread, and many of the irritated my sons for reasons I don't fully understand.

They like books about animals and they seem to like adventure type books - The Other Side Of the Mountain was a favortite, as were Rascal and Owls in the Family.

Anyone want to make suggestions?

How about Hatchet by Gary Paulsen? It's about a boy who survives alone in the wilderness, and my ds10 loved it (he also loved My Side of the Mountain). You may want to preview it - IIRC, the boy is in a small airplane and the pilot has a heart attack, which leaves the boy stranded in the wilderness. This did not upset my ds at all, but thought I should give a heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

My 11 year old just finished one he LOVED. He's requested the next two books in the series for Christmas. They have an emphasis on Creation Science, so if that offends you, disregard. The book is "The Missing Link: Found" by Christina and Felice Gerwitz. It's a homeschooling mother/daughter team!

I wrote a review here: http://whitetrashmama.blogspot.com/2008/11/missing-link.html

Rascal - Sterling North

Gentle Ben- Walt Morey (we've read others by him but none come to mind at the moment, all good, though)

books by Jean Craighead George besides the My Side of the Mountain series (these are great, too) - I'm sorry, again no specific titles come to mind, but my dd, a budding naturalist, likes them because they have lots of nature details in them

I'm 11 yo has enjoyed the following series: Percy Jackson, Rangers Apprentice, The Mysterious Benedict Society, Pendragon, The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn, Little Britches and the Nory Ryan books.

My son loves Percy Jackson (but that's definitely fantasy), the Tokaido Inn series and especially the Ranger's Apprentice. He's even decided to learn to sew in order to make himself costumes based on that book.