Menu

ROFL

I feel like saying I'm not proud of my country ... just because everybody's jumping on the PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN bandwagon!

Just gotta be different.

Uh-oh, did I jest step innit now?

Stacey, wondering where her birth certificate is so she can prove she's an American even though she was born overseas

One is always proud of ones country, but today is a day to be extra proud.

It has been 45 years since "I have a dream" was heard spoken at the Lincoln Memorial.

This country has traveled so far in such a short space of time, that everyone one has the right to be extra proud of their country today.

Well, I would have chosen a different African American to be our first black president... but I am proud of my country. America is a land of opportunity. Being raised in humble circumstances does not stop one from achieving greatness in this land. Racism may not be dead but it is a small remnant and no longer prevents anyone from reaching great heights. With hard work, we see in Obama that there is no reason ANYONE can not have the American dream. There are no blanket excuses... not racism, not poverty, not broken families. If one accepts responsibility for their own future there is nothing to stop them from accomplishing their goals.

One is always proud of ones country, but today is a day to be extra proud.

It has been 45 years since "I have a dream" was heard spoken at the Lincoln Memorial.

This country has traveled so far in such a short space of time, that everyone one has the right to be extra proud of their country today.

Martin Luther King's dream was that one day a man would be judged not by the color of his skin, but the content of his character. MLK was a brilliant, noble, and Godly man. I wish he were here today.

Edited by beansprouts
grammer

I've never been so happy to be wrong. :D

That's the crux of it I think. Many people here claiming to be proud are proud because they got their way. They've been badmouthing and condemning the US for months, years. I don't have a lot of respect for that kind of "proud."

That's the crux of it I think. Many people here claiming to be proud are proud because they got their way. They've been badmouthing and condemning the US for months, years. I don't have a lot of respect for that kind of "proud."
:001_huh:

FTR, I didn't say I was "proud" because I'm not American so it's not "my" country.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I am proud of the civility of our citizens and yesterday's successful election process with few setbacks or recriminations. I'm also glad it's all over. :-)

P.S. I voted for Chuck Baldwin

Edited by Virginia Dawn

I can be proud of our electorate and how far we've come as a nation and still disapprove of the things our government has done. I love this country and am grateful to live here every single day. That doesn't mean I don't get to speak out when the people who run it make decisions I'm not happy about. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I voted for Obama and am so hopeful for our future, yet I'm sure there will be times when I disagree with his policies too.

I tell you what, I'm not your kind of proud then. I'm not "my country right or wrong" proud. I've cringed, I've been embarassed, I've been angry at America's choices in the past. Not just in the last 8 yrs, but ever since I've been paying attention.

And conversely, I've also been happy and proud of choices made by the gov't in the name of the people. I also spend a lot of time perplexed...

But right now, I'm proud and it's not because "I got my way". I'm an adult now, you see. I'm proud on many levels. We've elected a black man to be president. That alone gives me goosebumps, I'm so happy with my fellow Americans for that big step.

And we've elected a man whose going to do some wonderful things for the country, which has absolutely nothing to do with race. Not a darn thing. We've made a good choice, we've made it overwhelmingly, and I really hope that when Obama and the democrats reach across the aisle and actually MOVE to get things done, that there's people reaching back. That would be another reason to be very proud of the country.

OK, this comment bothered me a bit more than I thought. Who are "they"? And would that make you part of "we"? I've been in the US for 11 years, and have met many people strongly opposed to various US policies (some more liberal, some more conservative), but I've yet to meet anyone -- other than the occasional person with a megaphone on a street corner -- who is anti-American in the sense you seem to be talking about. You seem angry and wounded and I wish you peace.

I tell you what, I'm not your kind of proud then. I'm not "my country right or wrong" proud. I've cringed, I've been embarassed, I've been angry at America's choices in the past. Not just in the last 8 yrs, but ever since I've been paying attention.

And conversely, I've also been happy and proud of choices made by the gov't in the name of the people. I also spend a lot of time perplexed...

But right now, I'm proud and it's not because "I got my way". I'm an adult now, you see. I'm proud on many levels. We've elected a black man to be president. That alone gives me goosebumps, I'm so happy with my fellow Americans for that big step.

And we've elected a man whose going to do some wonderful things for the country, which has absolutely nothing to do with race. Not a darn thing. We've made a good choice, we've made it overwhelmingly, and I really hope that when Obama and the democrats reach across the aisle and actually MOVE to get things done, that there's people reaching back. That would be another reason to be very proud of the country.

:iagree:

And so well put!!! You have a way with words, Parabola! :D