Menu

The Developing Character Teachers Lounge 10-5-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning! Happy Thursday! (If my letters get juxtaposed once in awhile here it's because I haven't taken a sip

of my coffee yet!  :p )

Today's theme can apply to developing honorable character in yourself or your kids OR to doing character analysis for

the main characters of a story, which is what I will be doing here shortly.  :D  I'll not actually start writing my story until November

but I do need to flesh out some details and back story of my two main characters and that's best done beforehand.

What are you up to today? Here: besides the above and the obvious school stuff, I will be forcing myself to take the time I would otherwise

spend at Goodwill today to do a good bit of decluttering. If we want to do this RV-life thing, I need to massively declutter!

What is or what was for breakfast this morning? Here: for me, pistachios and cheese cubes. I don't know what the kids are going to have. That's on their own.

How's your weather today? Here: it's relatively cool this morning but will be in the high 90s later today. Yes, in October.

Now do you see why I want to MOVE?  :rolleyes:

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 2

Morning, Scrap!

Today was errands day, but dh managed to pass on a stealthy stomach bug and so I am on the couch, resting.  I bet you can guess that breakfast wasn't that interesting here. :laugh: Our plans have changed to watching Beauty and The Beast on Netflix and the 7yo making himself a bag of microwave popcorn.  He's excited a bit over the whole thing.

Character development.  Hmm...I'm not sure for myself at the moment.  The 7yo is working through a series called ValueTales, which combines a biography with a character trait.  This week he did the one on Mother Theresa, and since he had never thought about the word 'humility' but confused it with 'humiliate', his confusion was slightly entertaining at the beginning. :lol: But it did bring up some great discussions on the subject and looking for people past and present who embodied the trait.

• Like 3

Today we are going to run out to Target after we do school.  There's some code they are giving out to get a Charizard or something so ds is dying to go.  They have $25 gift cards from their birthday, and they need new solid colored t-shirts for TKD, and I need to look for a Fall themed flag so I figure it's worth going.

Breakfast was bacon, scrambled eggs with cheese, and tea with honey.  My kids don't really eat breakfast.  They'll both have chocolate milk, dd will have some bacon.

After about a week of really nice Fall weather, it's supposed to hit 80 degrees today and stay hot through the weekend.  Ugh.  I was really enjoying the cooler weather.

• Like 3

Morning!

We have a family filled day today. My dad should be over soon to do more drywall finishing. The kids love this because he makes them his helpers and they do little tasks for him while chatting. My mil is coming by later to visit because we couldn't see her on our usual Sunday visit. Then my brother's 4 kids are coming over while they got to a prenatal appointment. And finally, my aunt is coming late tonight to watch my kids so I can go to a woman's study group.

This is the first session for the woman's study group, we'll be studying some of St. Pope John Paul II's writings for the next 8 weeks. This is really stepping out of my comfort zone because I do not generally enjoy being in a group of women. Past experiences have taught me that it is not my thing but I like these women so I'm going to give it a try. If it doesn't work out I still have a babysitter lined up for the next 8 weeks so I'll at least get time to myself once a week!

We had pumpkin pie oatmeal for breakfast, it was delicious!

It is in the low 80s today. I'm loving the weather recently. Still a bit hot during the day but it cools down at night so I can open all the windows at night and not need the AC on during the day because it stays cool once I close the windows in the morning

• Like 3

I think character is developed through real life experience and reflection/discussion with mentors.

The person I know who was *always* using and talking about the absolute importance of character development curricula for kids has a grown kid in prison now for accessory to murder, so yeah.

• Like 3

Good morning! Happy Thursday! (If my letters get juxtaposed once in awhile here it's because I haven't taken a sip

of my coffee yet!  :p )

Today's theme can apply to developing honorable character in yourself or your kids OR to doing character analysis for

the main characters of a story, which is what I will be doing here shortly.  :D  I'll not actually start writing my story until November

but I do need to flesh out some details and back story of my two main characters and that's best done beforehand.

What are you up to today? Here: besides the above and the obvious school stuff, I will be forcing myself to take the time I would otherwise

spend at Goodwill today to do a good bit of decluttering. If we want to do this RV-life thing, I need to massively declutter!

What is or what was for breakfast this morning? Here: for me, pistachios and cheese cubes. I don't know what the kids are going to have. That's on their own.

How's your weather today? Here: it's relatively cool this morning but will be in the high 90s later today. Yes, in October.

Now do you see why I want to MOVE?  :rolleyes:

Talk to me! :bigear:

Character: Noah Lukeman's The Plot Thickens. The first two chapters are the best thought-provoking character questions I've ever seen. Chapter one is external character questions, chapter two is internal character questions. 

Coughing. But less than yesterday, and I actually slept last night.

Nothing yet. Probably yogurt because I'm on antibiotics.

Warm, muggy and cloudy.

Today's job is to edit the four last "long" chapters in my manuscript, compile the sucker and get ready to proofread. I might clean and cook a little bit. Right now I'm working on the Latin translation I didn't get to this week because I was sick.

• Like 3

Today: School, Ani's physical therapy, Cameron working this morning and evening, Ani working this evening, kickboxing for Jamie and Fritz tonight (taught by Cameron lol).

Breakfast: Everyone else had cereal.  I had leftover pizza.

Weather: Mid-80s, high humidity.  The humidity has been AWFUL here lately.

• Like 2

Character: Noah Lukeman's The Plot Thickens. The first two chapters are the best thought-provoking character questions I've ever seen. Chapter one is external character questions, chapter two is internal character questions. 

Coughing. But less than yesterday, and I actually slept last night.

Nothing yet. Probably yogurt because I'm on antibiotics.

Warm, muggy and cloudy.

Today's job is to edit the four last "long" chapters in my manuscript, compile the sucker and get ready to proofread. I might clean and cook a little bit. Right now I'm working on the Latin translation I didn't get to this week because I was sick.

So, Critterfixer, you are now responsible for me buying another book! LOL I checked it out on Amazon, read through the preview and thought, "This is exactly what I want." Shhh! Don't tell my husband!  :D

I was working on the character sketches/analysis of my two main characters this morning. Even surprised myself with a couple of details! 

I do have to remind my brain, though, that it isn't quite time to write the story. That will be in November. Right now I'm just developing backgrounds , background histories, character and physical traits, etc.

For your current manuscript, are you going to self-publish or go the traditional publishing route?

• Like 2

Today we are going to run out to Target after we do school.  There's some code they are giving out to get a Charizard or something so ds is dying to go.  They have $25 gift cards from their birthday, and they need new solid colored t-shirts for TKD, and I need to look for a Fall themed flag so I figure it's worth going.

Breakfast was bacon, scrambled eggs with cheese, and tea with honey.  My kids don't really eat breakfast.  They'll both have chocolate milk, dd will have some bacon.

After about a week of really nice Fall weather, it's supposed to hit 80 degrees today and stay hot through the weekend.  Ugh.  I was really enjoying the cooler weather.

Thanks for letting us know! We just got back from Target and the kids got their cards!  :hurray:

They are now looking for the charge cord, together, to their DS2 system so they can unlock the secret code.  :coolgleamA:

We'll start school a little later. My kids are older so I like it when they decide on their own to do something productive together.

Don't want to interrupt those moments! 

Now a few minutes of surfing the 'net for me before I go do something productive!

• Like 2

Does throwing my phone across the room count against my character??

as in me, actually doing this. I bought this new phone towards the beginning of this year because it seemed to 

be able to do most of what my dead iPhone could do for about 1/3 the price. Yeah, right. Two or three times now

it's memory has filled up!  And even when I delete apps and pictures, as it instructs me to, it still doesn't seem to make

much more room if any for the memory! I'm currently deleting photos (Next time I get a phone, I'm making sure it actually

has a place for an SD card) to try to free up some space. Ugh.

• Like 1

So, Critterfixer, you are now responsible for me buying another book! LOL I checked it out on Amazon, read through the preview and thought, "This is exactly what I want." Shhh! Don't tell my husband!  :D

I was working on the character sketches/analysis of my two main characters this morning. Even surprised myself with a couple of details! 

I do have to remind my brain, though, that it isn't quite time to write the story. That will be in November. Right now I'm just developing backgrounds , background histories, character and physical traits, etc.

For your current manuscript, are you going to self-publish or go the traditional publishing route?

I'm planning on traditional publishing. If anything, that will help me prepare for self-publishing if I'd like to pursue it. I'm currently in the sixth draft, getting word count down for querying.

When I character build, I just let the characters tell me all kinds of stories about their lives. Sure does produce some fine material to torture them with--uh, challenge them with--when it comes time to help them grow to their potential. 

The Lukeman book is awesome. It's probably my top resource when it comes to character building. 

• Like 2

Good afternoon! 

I've got sinus/allergy stuff going on today, so I didn't do much. Ds did school. I've still got to get ready for co-op and leaving town late tomorrow afternoon. 

Breakfast was oatmeal with ground flax seed and some maple syrup.

The weather was nice here, but I didn't go out and enjoy it since I'm not feeling the best.