Menu

Can you recommend an oatmeal muffin recipe?

Kareni

Can you recommend an oatmeal muffin recipe?

Bonus points if the muffins

-- are low(ish) sodium

-- do not stick to the bake cups.

We've been using the Irish Oatmeal Muffin recipe from Marion Cunningham's The Breakfast Book for years; however, we've had to make adjustments due to lowering the sodium content and the muffins are quite sticky.

Do you have a favorite recipe to share?

Regards,

Kareni

Well, these definitely aren't sticky, although that's because they have so much oil in them!  They are so yummy though. It's my aunt's recipe, and you can tell it's old because the original recipe called for "melted shortening".

Aunt Claire's Oatmeal Muffins

1 c. rolled oats

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup veg. oil

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 egg beaten

1 cup flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Combine the oats and buttermilk in a large bowl; soak for at least 30 minutes.  Combine dry ingredients in small bowl.  Add oil, brown sugar, and beaten egg to soaked oats and milk mixture.  Blend thoroughly.  Stir in dry ingredients; mix only to moisten.  [i use muffin liners in my pans.]  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Makes 12 muffins.  

• Like 1

Well, these definitely aren't sticky, although that's because they have so much oil in them! They are so yummy though. It's my aunt's recipe, and you can tell it's old because the original recipe called for "melted shortening".

1 c. rolled oats

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup veg. oil

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 egg beaten

1 cup flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Combine the oats and buttermilk in a large bowl; soak for at least 30 minutes. Combine dry ingredients in small bowl. Add oil, brown sugar, and beaten egg to soaked oats and milk mixture. Blend thoroughly. Stir in dry ingredients; mix only to moisten. [i use muffin liners in my pans.] Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

Would these hold up if I added some frozen fruit?

• Like 1

Well, these definitely aren't sticky, although that's because they have so much oil in them!  They are so yummy though. It's my aunt's recipe, and you can tell it's old because the original recipe called for "melted shortening".

Thanks for sharing your aunt's recipe, Claire.  The ingredients are basically the same as what is in the version that I've been using but the amounts vary somewhat.  But, yes, your recipe does seem to have more oil than mine.  Hmm ...

Regards,

Kareni

This is our favorite muffin recipe. The original recipe called for raisins or dried fruit but we prefer chocolate chips! I've had them without either raisins or chocolate chips and they're good that way too. 280 mg sodium per muffin (i.e. dh should limit himself to one--doesn't always happen). This is a moist muffin and does require 2 ingredients I don't use in anything else--wheat bran and wheat germ. I just keep a small bag of each in one ziploc bag in the freezer. I'm pasting this in from my recipe software.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

Oatmeal Muffins with Chocolate Chips

• 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 Tbsp untoasted wheat germ
  • 2 Tbsp wheat bran
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 ½ cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • ¼ cup oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • ½ cup boiling water
  • ¾ cup chocolate chips

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, wheat germ, wheat bran, sugar, brown sugar, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add in oats. In a separate bowl, beat the egg lightly with a fork. Stir in buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until thoroughly moistened. Add the boiling water and stir it in with a rubber spatula. Let stand for 15 minutes. Add in chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes

Notes:
The original recipe calls for 1 cup of dried fruit such as raisins, blueberries, cranberries, or a mix of dried fruits. We've made the recipe with raisins many times, or even with no add-in, but the family favorite is definitely with chocolate chips.
Categories:
Muffins

Source

Baking in America
Servings/Yield

12 servings
NUTRITION FACTS

Servings: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 219

• Total Fat: 8.87g
  • Cholesterol: 19mg
  • Sodium: 280mg
  • Total Carbs: 31.71g
  •     Dietary Fiber: 3.31g
  •     Sugars: 15.68g
  • Protein: 4.93g
  •  

• Like 1

This is our favorite muffin recipe. The original recipe called for raisins or dried fruit but we prefer chocolate chips! I've had them without either raisins or chocolate chips and they're good that way too. 280 mg sodium per muffin (i.e. dh should limit himself to one--doesn't always happen)....

Thanks for sharing your recipe, Ali.  I'd be with you as regards the chocolate chips; however, my husband would favor the raisins.  For some reason, he doesn't eat chocolate in the morning.  Clearly a sick man!

We've been aiming for about 100 mg of sodium per muffin, but our muffins have been fairly small.  We've been using Ener-G Baking Powder (in lieu of baking soda and which I can find locally) though the company also makes Ener-G Baking Soda.  Neither of these products contain sodium.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I regularly make oatmeal/dried cherry scones.  Not what you asked but here is my recipe:

1 3/4 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

3/4 tea baking soda

1 tea baking powder

1/2 cup cold butter chopped into small pieces

2/3 cup buttermilk

3/4 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup dried fruit (cherries, raisins, snipped apricots, etc.)

Mix the first four ingredients.  Cut the cold butter into the mixture so that it resembles course crumbs. Add the buttermilk and gently blend.  The dough should just come together. Add oats and dried fruit.  Turn onto a pastry mat or board and pat into a circle that is about 7 or 8 inches across.  I then cut the circle into 12 equal wedges.

Place the wedges on a parchment lined baking sheet.  You can brush the scones with buttermilk and/or sprinkle them with a flavored sugar.  Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes. 

Notes:  I sometimes make these with King Arthur's White Whole Wheat or a combo of whole wheat and unbleached flour.  You may need to add a tad more buttermilk if your cultured product is thick.  If I don't have buttermilk, I use a mixture of plain yogurt and regular milk.

Obviously these will not stick to muffin cups since you avoid using them!  :laugh:

A lot of scone recipes seem to have a finishing touch of a glaze or icing.  We don't care for that but if one needs frosting in the morning, go for it!

• Like 1

I can't speak to sodium content, but my family loves these: https://www.fivehearthome.com/oatmeal-spice-muffins/

I just spray the muffin pans with olive oil spray and they pop out fairly clean.

Ooh, those look pretty yummy.  It's interesting that the recipe says 22 to 24 muffins, but the directions call for 18 muffin cups with paper liners.  I know that my recipe says 24 muffins, but I make 20 at most.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Carrie.

Regards,

Kareni

I regularly make oatmeal/dried cherry scones. 

And now I want a scone!  It's quite interesting how varying amounts of the same ingredients leads to such different outcomes.

Obviously these will not stick to muffin cups since you avoid using them!  :laugh:

You're such a wit!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

This is my go-to muffin recipe, and I just change it up to suit our whims. I can add frozen blueberries, chocolate chips, chopped apples and cinnamon, etc. (not all at once!)  I've made it with no salt, and it comes out fine.  If you omit the salt and use unsalted butter, the sodium content is about 110mg per muffin.  I do use fresh ground flour, so that changes the texture a bit.  You could add the wheat germ and bran with all purpose flour like in Ali's recipe to get a similar texture - not sure how they'd turn out without it.

Oatmeal Muffins

1 C uncooked regular oats

1 C yogurt

½ C brown sugar

1 stick melted butter

1 egg

1 C flour

1 tsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

1. Mix oats and yogurt in a large bowl and microwave for 1 minute.

2. Add sugar, butter, and eggs, and mix well.

3. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and add to oat mixture.

4. Fold in additions.

5. Spoon into 12 lined muffin pans, filling 2/3 full.

6. Bake at 400o for 20 minutes, or until browned.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 1

This is the one I've used for years. I think I originally found it on AllRecipes. It seems pretty similar to one posted above. I've had good, consistent results with it and like it because (this sounds weird!) it is bland. It's really not too terribly sweet ( I might be a bit skimpy on the brown sugar, but not too much) so it's good not only as a breakfast muffin but also as a bread, with a salad lunch or a something like that.

Moist Oatmeal Muffins

·         1 C oats

·         1 C buttermilk

·         2 eggs

·         1/2 C brown sugar, packed

·         1/4 C canola oil

·         1 C all purpose flour

·         1 tsp baking powder

·         1/2 tsp baking soda

·         1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pour the buttermilk in a large mixing bowl. Add the oats and stir to be sure all the oats are moistened. Allow the oats to soak in the buttermilk for 20 minutes. After the oats have soaked add the eggs, sugar and oil. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the dry mixture to the oats and stir just until moistened. Grease a muffin tin with a non stick cooking spray. Fill the cups 2/3 full of batter. Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

• Like 1

These are nice and don't stick if you wait until they cool. 

I use regular flour as we're fine with gluten. 

https://minimalistbaker.com/one-bowl-carrot-apple-muffins-vegan-gf/

If you're having persistent problems with sticking to the papers, you could try a light misting of veg oil spray. It doesn't need much to stop it from sticking. 

or try a different brand of liner. I bought a box of parchment paper muffin cups recently as I was not in my normal store, and they are really great. Much higher quality than the ones I normally buy and no sticking at all, even if you want to eat a hot muffin right out of the oven. 

​

• Like 1

This is my go-to muffin recipe, and I just change it up to suit our whims. I can add frozen blueberries, chocolate chips, chopped apples and cinnamon, etc. (not all at once!)  I've made it with no salt, and it comes out fine.  ..

Oatmeal Muffins

1 C uncooked regular oats

1 C yogurt

Thanks for the recipe, Amy.  I hadn't previously seen a recipe with yogurt, so this is intriguing.  The recipe I've been using calls for buttermilk (or milk soured with vinegar).  Thanks for the comment regarding making it with no salt.

Regards,

Kareni

This is the one I've used for years. I think I originally found it on AllRecipes. It seems pretty similar to one posted above. I've had good, consistent results with it and like it because (this sounds weird!) it is bland. It's really not too terribly sweet ( I might be a bit skimpy on the brown sugar, but not too much) so it's good not only as a breakfast muffin but also as a bread, with a salad lunch or a something like that.

And thank you, Rockhopper.  Your recipe is quite similar to the one I've been using in terms of ingredients and baking temperature. My recipe differs in that the recommendation is that the oats be soaked overnight or for at least six hours.

And, yes, I know what you mean about it being not too sweet; it's a tasty muffin though ... it has something of a nutty flavor.

Regards,

Kareni

https://minimalistbaker.com/one-bowl-carrot-apple-muffins-vegan-gf/

If you're having persistent problems with sticking to the papers, you could try a light misting of veg oil spray. It doesn't need much to stop it from sticking. 

or try a different brand of liner. I bought a box of parchment paper muffin cups recently as I was not in my normal store, and they are really great. Much higher quality than the ones I normally buy and no sticking at all, even if you want to eat a hot muffin right out of the oven.

These muffins look delicious, and it's certainly hard to argue with a one bowl recipe.  I'll admit that flax eggs are new to me.

I may try your spray of oil suggestion.  I can imagine that a better grade of muffin cups would likely work, too.  I'm admittedly cheap and have been using the house brand.  Thanks for your help, hornblower.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

For a simple oatmeal muffin, I use this recipe as a basis. I have lowered the sugar (but not salt) too. The oatmeal variation is towards the bottom & it talks about adding berries. There is a blog post about the variations. Hope one of these recipes works for you :)

King Arthur Flour Basic Muffins

Thank you, Ellesmere!  It interests me that so much variation (such as skipping the oil) is possible; it seems I'm something of a rabid rule follower when it comes to cooking and/or baking.

Regards,

Kareni