Menu

I want to learn some microsoft applications... access and excel

bettyandbob

It's kind of embarrassing, but I don't really know excel and I'd like to learn access. I have free the software available to me free. 

I've looked up classes. Yikes. Even the ones through my local adult ed program are not cheap, plus my work schedule is all over the map. I don't have a Tuesday AND a Thursday free one or the other, but not both. Ditto Monday, Wednesday. I don't have 4 days in a row a the same time. Etc. So, fitting in that approach won't work. 

I'm wondering if there's a book or something that I can follow, where it has a series of projects to work through. Say if I got excel on my computer and I the first project was turn it on do this simple thing. Then over the course of a few weeks I could do more and more projects. 

At work, it would to be able to say I can create and manipulate excel documents. It would help my boss.  But the skill is definitely tertiary to my responsibilities. I'd just like to be more indispensable. 

The reason I want to learn access is there is some stuff I know would be better stored in a database than the method we have now ( messy 3 ring binder with tabs and cover sheet that has a table that has to be constantly updated --one of the important data points is expiration dates). I talked to a couple people about all the data in the messy binder and both say database is the way to go. They both mention this stuff could go into excel, but for what I want to manipulate access would be better. 

How can I learn these on my own. What is the best program you've found. I do not want a streaming program for which I have to pay a subscription. 

Why did I spend time doing differential equations and studying advanced physical chemistry in college? I guess I had practical office skills back then. But I guess my practical office skills (word processing) from the 1980s are kind of stagnate. 

• Like 1

I found the best way to learn how to use any software is to find a project and mess around with it. Play with the software. Give yourself a project. If you come across a skill you need but can't figure out, google it.

That is how I learned everything - from programming (most of my dissertation was based on numerical simulations for which I had to write the code) to video editing for my online classes. Every computer person I ever talked to has learned the same way: by playing with it.

So, grab some of the info you want to put in databases and play. Find spreadsheets to manipulate and play.

• Like 2

I've been using online tutorials (Microsoft's) and some books from the library to learn Excel and increase my Word and PowerPoint skills. I would like to find a class though - I don't learn things like that by playing around. I know many people do - my husband is one of them - but I don't.  

A combination of playing around and instruction - our library also has "tech tutoring" sessions.  Patrons can play around on their own device or on the library's desktops, and when they get stumped or need further help, schedule some time with one of the tutors.   Some libraries in my county also have free classes sometimes.  Have you looked there?

• Like 2

I used some of the GCF Learnfree classes and tutorials a few years ago when I was going back to work and was very impressed. (Actually, it looks like they don't offer the classes anymore, but the tutorials were quite good.)

I also use Lynda frequently at work and fine it very helpful. However, it's not cheap to subscribe. Our county library offers access to Lynda for free with a library card, so I would suggest checking with your system to see if they do something similar.

And, speaking of libraries . . . As a technology trainer at my local library, I would be remiss not to suggest that you take a look at your own libraries to see what programs they might offer. In our county, we offer free classes in the entire Microsoft Office suite, including Excel and Access. Typically, there are a few levels of class for each application, with each class being 60-90 minutes long. Classes for the more popular applications are offered a couple of times each month, sometimes during the day, sometimes evenings and/or weekends. And we also offer some classes online.

• Like 2

Get your feet wet and try it. If it doesn't work, Google it and you will probably find the solution.  Learn by Destroying is a popular method...

I googled for "free Microsoft Office tutorials" (without the quote marks) and this is the URL for the SERPs:

https://www.google.com.co/search?q=free+Microsoft+Office+tutorials&oq=free+Microsoft+Office+tutorials&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.18239j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Khan Academy hits for Excel:

https://www.khanacademy.org/search?page_search_query=microsoft%20excel

As a homeschooling mom, I thought that surely I should be able to learn Microsoft applications on my own. I finally gave up 'cause it just wasn't getting done. This semester, I paid for a class at the CC and I'm learning. I hated paying the money, but I need a full-time job after my last one graduates next year, so I couldn't mess around anymore.