Menu

IKEA Textiles

mmasc

Has anyone tried Ikea curtains? I want cheap, room darkening, and white (or possibly light gray). They have a few styles that look like they could work, other than being way too long.

What about sheets? I have a duvet cover and LOVE it. It's the kind of cotton that's a little bit crisp, and cool. I don't like silky soft. I'm wondering if their sheets are like the duvet covers??

Thanks!

Oh, and this would be an online purchase. The nearest ikea is 4 hours one way, so I won't be able to see/feel any of this in store.

Their sheets are rather like their duvet covers.  Maybe a little thinner.  They're on ds's bed right now and feel like normal cotton sheets.

Their curtains are fine.  We've had 3 sets: two that were identical in style but different colors (dark brown and khaki tan) and a sheer set.  The brown and tan ones were pretty heavy feeling and definitely blocked the light well enough for us.

• Like 1

My children have duvet covers. They aren't fantastic quality, but certainly on par with what you would by at a big box store.

We have their white Merete curtains, and like them. They are one of the few places I can buy 120" curtains without breaking the bank.  While they do filter out light and offer sufficient privacy, I would not call them blackout curtains. They would need to be lined to qualify. 

• Like 1

I have a duvet cover and curtains in a pattern that is no longer on the website. The pattern is like an English chintz, in a pattern of cabbage roses. The curtains are heavy and lined. The duvet cover is just right --crisp, as you say -- and has stayed crisp through washings. However, I don't know if all of Ikea's curtains and duvets are similar.

ETA

Online is difficult. I made a $$ online purchase from Pottery Barn -- a duvet cover for myself. It looked great in the photographs, but the design was coarse and gaudy irl. I returned it.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried Ikea curtains? I want cheap, room darkening, and white (or possibly light gray). They have a few styles that look like they could work, other than being way too long.

What about sheets? I have a duvet cover and LOVE it. It's the kind of cotton that's a little bit crisp, and cool. I don't like silky soft. I'm wondering if their sheets are like the duvet covers??

Thanks!

Oh, and this would be an online purchase. The nearest ikea is 4 hours one way, so I won't be able to see/feel any of this in store.

Just wanted to throw out there that they have shades that roll up and down and they are fairly room-darkening. I have never purchased curtains but also like their duvet covers.

• Like 1

We have blinds in the windows, so I was hoping to find some curtains that definitely help darken the room, but not blackout. I don't like dark rooms and really prefer just darker if someone is sleeping late. I was thinking the Ritva look nice. Are these the ones any of you have? They look kind of textured. I don't like smooth and shiny.

Of course, I want white which will naturally be less darkening than darker colors if I just get 'normal' (not darkening/lined). But I'm hoping if they're thick enough I won't need a lined curtain, especially since I have blinds that block a little light.

I sleep on Ikea sheets. They are nice enough. I love the price and I do look at sheets as disposable to a certain extent. About the time the elastic is out, DH's pillow is not the same color as the rest of the set. So it all gets tossed. Cheaper is better for me. :)

LOL We have this going on too...what's the deal with that?!!

I have IKEA curtains. They are dark grey, linen ones. They darken the room enough for us. But they do shrink quite a bit, so you definitely want to wash and dry them before doing any alterations. They are much cheaper than making your own or buying custom.

What's the name of the ones you have?

No chance here of making my own...I'm even worried about them being too long of having to do ANY kind of cutting/altering!

The curtains are great. The sheets are okay - I would say they're medium quality - they're thin and not the softest material, but they seem to last a lot better than some of the cheap ones. I think that's pretty much Ikea products in a nutshell actually - they're not top of the line, but for some reason, they last better than all the other cheap stuff and even some of the not-cheap stuff.

• Like 1