Menu

What dishes do you recommend for every day use?

Night Elf

corelle will probably hold up the best for the best bang for your buck. I got rid of mine (they were dh's) and got stoneware.  (which I like, but they have their cons)

I don't like heavy or bulky stoneware.  Those are the cons if you ask me. :0)  My mom made us a set of dishes after she learned to be a potter...but they were so heavy, I couldn't put away more than 2 plates at a time.  And the bowls were a shape that didn't stack neatly, so they took up a ton of room in the dishwasher and the cupboards.  We kept the serving dishes, but got a modern design for our daily dishes, and I am happy with them (as noted above).  

Ironically, my mom now uses Corelle.  She's 94 and it's a lot easier for her to lift, and the smaller footprint keeps everything on the lower shelves.  

One thing we did that I'll bet reduced breakage is that we moved our dishes to the under-counter cabinets. That change was not driven by brilliance, but by getting rid of upper cabinets to open up a beautiful view.   I put the dishes and the flatware in the cabinets/drawer closest to the kitchen table (where we ate all the time).  The kid could set the table from a very short age, there weren't constant collisions in the kitchen, and when we put stuff away from the adjacent dishwasher, there wasn't nearly as much up-and-down stretching which was wonderful.  If we remodel this kitchen we are in now (please, no), I will do my best to make that part of the arrangement.  

Yes!  The pasta bowls.  These might be the most useful dishes in the house.

I do have a few FiestaWare serving dishes.  They are really too heavy for me to use, but since I have three teenagers now, I never do dishes.  And they are prettier than Corelle, imo.

My family uses those pasta bowls for everything. My pasta bowls are white because my bisque pattern was discontinued. I replaced my ikea pasta bowls (they were 50 cents each) because they scratched and my daughter couldn't stand the sound they made when a fork scraped them. Everyone loves the corelle bowls.

If you live near a mills mall they usually have a corningware store that sells corelle. Mine don't have the marks. I use the Kirkland dishwasher detergent. I wonder if the rust problem will go away now that they've changed the way the dishwasher detergents are made?

• Like 1

My everyday dishes are Fiestaware.  I had Correlle but after having several break into 4 million tiny sharp shards, I started looking around. While the Fiestaware is heavier, I love the colors and the one piece that broke, broke into two big pieces.  I feel much better letting the kids use the Fiestaware.

• Like 1

I don't like heavy or bulky stoneware.  Those are the cons if you ask me. :0)  My mom made us a set of dishes after she learned to be a potter...but they were so heavy, I couldn't put away more than 2 plates at a time.  And the bowls were a shape that didn't stack neatly, so they took up a ton of room in the dishwasher and the cupboards.  We kept the serving dishes, but got a modern design for our daily dishes, and I am happy with them (as noted above).  

Ironically, my mom now uses Corelle.  She's 94 and it's a lot easier for her to lift, and the smaller footprint keeps everything on the lower shelves.  

One thing we did that I'll bet reduced breakage is that we moved our dishes to the under-counter cabinets. That change was not driven by brilliance, but by getting rid of upper cabinets to open up a beautiful view.   I put the dishes and the flatware in the cabinets/drawer closest to the kitchen table (where we ate all the time).  The kid could set the table from a very short age, there weren't constant collisions in the kitchen, and when we put stuff away from the adjacent dishwasher, there wasn't nearly as much up-and-down stretching which was wonderful.  If we remodel this kitchen we are in now (please, no), I will do my best to make that part of the arrangement.  

I wish I could do the same with my dishes.  The builders foolishly put our dishwasher in a corner, so it's quite a reach to put the dishes away at all in the available upper cabinet, and the lower cabinets all get blocked.  As a result I did move a lot of our dishes to a shelf in our pantry closet, just so the kids could get them out and put them away themselves.  

I have Corelle, my dh loves it.  I think it's okay.  Family uses it when they make lunch, snacks, or fend for themselves.  I love my everyday dishes. white Villeroy boch porcelain dishes,  that I got at TJMaxx and HomeGoods they hold up well.  https://www.villeroy-boch.com/shop/patterns/manoir.html  I've had some pieces for 20+ years and some I purchased in the last year.  Nothing survives a drop on our tile floors so we do have to replace now and then but they hold up much better than other dishes.  Don't easily chip, crack or stain.

I have Corelle, my dh loves it.  I think it's okay.  Family uses it when they make lunch, snacks, or fend for themselves.  I love my everyday dishes. white Villeroy boch porcelain dishes,  that I got at TJMaxx and HomeGoods they hold up well.  https://www.villeroy-boch.com/shop/patterns/manoir.html  I've had some pieces for 20+ years and some I purchased in the last year.  Nothing survives a drop on our tile floors so we do have to replace now and then but they hold up much better than other dishes.  Don't easily chip, crack or stain.

those are so pretty!

I wish I could do the same with my dishes. The builders foolishly put our dishwasher in a corner, so it's quite a reach to put the dishes away at all in the available upper cabinet, and the lower cabinets all get blocked. As a result I did move a lot of our dishes to a shelf in our pantry closet, just so the kids could get them out and put them away themselves.

This is our current house too. I hate it. I handwash instead of using the dishwasher, that's how much I hate it.

So do none of you with Correlle have the same problem I do? What looks like small rust spots on the sides of my plates and nicks in the rim of the bowls.

I have what sounds like the same spots as you are describing on my Corelle dishes.  I think they are over 20 years old though; maybe actually closer to 25 even.  I've been looking to replace them for a few years but haven't seen any new Corelle that I like.

So do none of you with Correlle have the same problem I do? What looks like small rust spots on the sides of my plates and nicks in the rim of the bowls.

I had that issue but it was because my dishwasher was rusting where the coating had come off on my racks. New dishwasher and it no longer happens.