Menu

Dr Hive--asthma

Tap

Asking for a neighbor.  

Her daughter is 8yo and has asthma.  She uses a rescue inhaler at least once daily but is not on a daily steroid inahaler (I don't know why). We are in are area with fires so there is a quite a bit of smoke/haze around us.  She ended up in the ER this morning.  They did a breathing treatment and gave her prednisone.  They got her O2 to 95 and released her.  Daughter has slept all day.  Her O2 hasn't gone about 95 all day (mom has a pulse ox).   She started oral prednisone and is using her albuterol inhaler.  ER doc didn't give her a steroid inhaler (odd to me).

Any suggestions on getting her stats over 95.  The girl is still feeling bad.  Mom has an appointment for her with the pediatrician Wednesday. 

Does she have a nebulizer for albuterol treatments? I find that more effective for my DS than his rescue inhaler.

What is her pulse rate? How hard is she working for each breath?

If the local conditions are going to remain the same, I would not hesitate to return to the ER, or, at a minimum, call my ped's triage nurse (no charge for us, so it's an attractive choice) and ask her opinion. I'd also call the ped first thing in the morning and try to get in ASAP.

• Like 3

When I start needing my albuterol often, it means I need my steroid inhaler for a while. She needs to ask her doctor why not.

Benadryl or Zyrtec might help fight the histamine response if there is one. Steam sometimes helps. In a pinch, caffeine can be a bronchodilator, but it's not my preferred. (Also, it's not a great idea to mix it and an inhaler. One summer day my allergies were flaring and causing my asthma to flare so I took my inhaler, and I was drinking caffeinated coffee. I think it was too much stimulation because I felt really horrible for a bit, like I was going to pass out.)

• Like 1

Nebulizer worked wonders here. Rescue inhalers are hard for children to use properly sometimes.

Also, we were given steroids also when we had an emergency, but once when my son was not better, I called the pediatrician. She felt that the ER doctor did not prescribe the right amount for his weight, and decided to increase the dose. (This worked wonders)

So, definitely a call or visit to the pediatrician's office.