Menu

Rightstart Math Question

I am interested also to see what people have done. My 1st grader DS is almost done with B and is moving into C. He also does Singapore for the practice of worksheet type math. We will more than likely switch after D but I am still on the fence with that. My DD is doing BJU and Singapore combo so I may just move DS that direction or jump into Saxon 5/4.

My hunch is no matter what math a RS child moves into, they will be incredibly solid in the next math they do. My 6 year old can do crazy mental math like no other. Right now he can pick up any 2nd grade math book in the house and do it easily. I am feeling pretty good about his later transition.

We've just finished E and have F ordered. We plan to use Geometry as well, and then introduce AOPS.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oh we are almost half way through E and I rarely see anyone else go that far here! So I'm happy to see someone else going through E. We plan to do F and G if nothing unexpected happens.

We are doing Beast academy 3 as a review and supplement and play on going on to AOPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ealp2009

We've successfully gone RS A-E for my oldest 3 kids. (now 10th, 8th, 6th)

RS A - Kinder
RS B  - 1st
RS C - 2nd
RS D - 3rd
RS E - 4th

(give or take, depends on the student, some have gone slower than this)

There was no F back then, and we did buy G (Geom), started it with oldest, but never really liked it.

We then spent a year - year and a 1/2 in Singapore which helps fill the gaps (fractions, decimals, percents, word problems) and plow through 2-4 of their books. We usually start in Singapore 4B, 5A, 5B - and some do 6A, some skip it - then move straight to Pre-A. For the most mathy, this means 5th grade is spent in Singapore, and 6th grade is Pre-A. After some stops & starts, what worked for us was Dolciani Pre-A, followed by Dolciani Algebra. And then we have outsourced Geometry from there...

We love RS though and are using it with various youngers still. We still have the 1st edition, though I understand 2nd edition goes a bit more in-depth in places than before.

• Like 1

Oh we are almost half way through E and I rarely see anyone else go that far here! So I'm happy to see someone else going through E. We plan to do F and G if nothing unexpected happens.

i'd love to hear how F works out. i may just change and go to F - then skip that whole year of singapore for my youngers. 

i've decided to sell my G if anyone is interested... it's in classifieds. all this RS talk and i realize 3 kids done with RS, i'm likely not to go that route, no matter how exciting and tempting the RS G is! ;-)

• Like 1

My DS#1 did 1st edition A-E (there was no F), then moved on to BA and then AoPS.  He's done 20ish lessons in G but is frustrated by the exertion required for the fine motor task.  I might bring it out now and then anyway.

DS#2 did 2nd edition A, B, and half of C, switched to 1st edition and did C and D with BA thrown in here and there as a supplement, then moved into public school.

DS#3 did 1st edition A-C, and just started 2nd edition D alongside BA.  I'm not sure where he'll go from here.  Continuing with RS E and F + BA is a possibility, especially if those levels in 2nd edition are still pretty hands-on (I haven't seen them yet), but he may just switch to BA after this... not sure.

We did it till it didn't work for my oldest.  He was ahead in it and at some point hit a wall.  I am thinking it was in 3rd grade in E.  At that point we bounced around a bit and ended up with Saxon.  He was happy with that so we stayed put till he entered school in 4th.  He entered school testing extremely high and has never had an issue with any math at school so I am happy with the foundation that right start gave him. 

My oldest went on to Video Text Algebra when about halfway through G, as Dr. Cotter recommends. He alternated between them until he was finished with G. He is continuing to work his way through the Video Text series. He went slower with G than I would have preferred, but he finished it. He started with G after completing Saxon 5/6 (?). It was a difficult transition to Rightstart. He is much happier with Video Text. He is currently on their module "C". His younger brother has been doing Right Start since B, and is almost done with E I plan to do F and G with him. I feel more equipped to help with G than I was before.