Menu

Medical Emergencies

Danestress

I want to gain some basic education for dealIng with medical emergencies. If I take a Red Cross CPR and AOE class and a first aid class, how prepared would I really be to handle a crisis? It seems like a three hour class once every two years might give me just enough knowledge to be dangerous!

I am in our children's ministry a lot and baby sit for friends. I also like to hike and camp. There are older people in my life. I feel a nagging sense that I should know what to do in an emergency, but would a Red Cross class really prepare me? Is there something else people recommend?

• Like 1

The key I think is you need to review on your own more than every two years.

You aren't a lifeguard, but at my rec center practice is on at least a monthly basis. Not just in the pool, but all over the building. A supervisor might call breathing emergency in dance room 3. So a lifeguard needs know where that room is, get there quickly with the right equipment and begin the right treatment. They have surprise checks on all kinds of emergencies.

The stuff in that 3 hour class needs to be reviewed and practiced so that you can be automatic. You don't have to be as intense as the lifeguards at my rec center--they are reviewing way more emergency skills than you.

If you think the 3 hour course only glosses over information, there's an 8 hour course CPR-AED for the professional rescuer plus first aid. That course gives a lot more direction in adult, child and infant CPR.

Anyway, taking the course next week without ever reviewing the skills does not set you up to accurately and calmly respond sometime next summer.

• Like 1

Just knowing the basics of using an AED until EMS arrived, knowing that you call 911 1st if an adult needs CPR and after 1 minute of CPR for a child (rational discussed in the class), and choking help being different for partial vs. total obstruction/conscious vs. unconscious person/baby vs. child vs. adult would be invaluable to the general public. You won't be expected to memorize everything taught in the short time frame for the long run or expected to follow everything to a T if placed in a situation where you were the 1st responder until EMS arrived, but you will get enough from the class to have enough of it come back to you in an emergency to help tremendously....even if you don't do every thing in the exact steps with perfect efficiency. You will likely get a quick reference guide on a chart or laminated folded card to quickly refresh yourself on the basics every few months.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 1

Just knowing the basics of using an AED until EMS arrived, knowing that you call 911 1st if an adult needs CPR and after 1 minute of CPR for a child (rational discussed in the class), and choking help being different for partial vs. total obstruction/conscious vs. unconscious person/baby vs. child vs. adult would be invaluable to the general public. You won't be expected to memorize everything taught in the short time frame for the long run or expected to follow everything to a T if placed in a situation where you were the 1st responder until EMS arrived, but you will get enough from the class to have enough of it come back to you in an emergency to help tremendously....even if you don't do every thing in the exact steps with perfect efficiency. You will likely get a quick reference guide on a chart or laminated folded card to quickly refresh yourself on the basics every few months.

This. My response is too complicated.

• Like 1

I want to gain some basic education for dealIng with medical emergencies. If I take a Red Cross CPR and AOE class and a first aid class, how prepared would I really be to handle a crisis? It seems like a three hour class once every two years might give me just enough knowledge to be dangerous!

I am in our children's ministry a lot and baby sit for friends. I also like to hike and camp. There are older people in my life. I feel a nagging sense that I should know what to do in an emergency, but would a Red Cross class really prepare me? Is there something else people recommend?

You would be far better prepared than you are today. Not an EMT but better prepared. When I was a boy we had a week of First Aid each year in Phys Ed. We had Phys Ed 5 days a week.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1