Menu

Anyone use Getting Things Done by David Allen?

Just Kate

In a previous thread, I mentioned how I am having trouble managing the normal parts of life (executive function, I think it's called). Someone suggested the book Getting Things Done by David Allen. I immediately put it on hold at my library (currently listening to the audio) and started reading blogs and other info online about it.

As a super-planner, I love the idea. I can really see how it will help me to manage my job. I still need to look into how I could use it with my job and my home life together (I work in finance, so it really isn't good for me to keep a bunch of work tasks intermingled into my personal tasks). However, I am already overwhelmed at the thought of putting it all together. I just can't see what it will look like yet.

Anyone use this and want to discuss? I'm happy to talk about both pros and cons of the system.

ETA: This was kind of funny...after I put the book on hold at my library, I told dh about it. He immediately starting laughing because he had just ordered the book from Amazon! lol

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 1

I use some aspects of GTD. When I'm feeling really overwhelmed about everything I need to do, sitting down and writing things down to get it all out of my head is very helpful. Breaking things down into "next actions" is also useful for big, overwhelming projects. I also use the folder system and it gives me a place to put recurring payment books, tickets to one time events, or other reminders. The one thing it doesn't help with is the motivation to actually do the stuff once I know what I need or want to do!

• Like 2

My husband uses it.

He loves the process of breaking things down into next steps.

And folders in his email. He had to train himself to put things in the proper folder immediately.

Prioritizing tasks using the "this will only take 2 minutes. Do it now and get it off your plate."

When he sticks with it the process works for him.

• Like 2

I use some aspects of GTD. When I'm feeling really overwhelmed about everything I need to do, sitting down and writing things down to get it all out of my head is very helpful. Breaking things down into "next actions" is also useful for big, overwhelming projects. I also use the folder system and it gives me a place to put recurring payment books, tickets to one time events, or other reminders. The one thing it doesn't help with is the motivation to actually do the stuff once I know what I need or want to do!

Yes, I agree that thinking about "next actions" will be very helpful. Many times in my job, I just write a big project on my to-do list and find it so overwhelming! Sticking with actions will make things a lot better. 

I can see that for my personal tasks (things I "should" do, like paint or clean out a closet) this might not work as well...due to that lack of motivation thing. lol

• Like 1

My husband uses it.

He loves the process of breaking things down into next steps.

And folders in his email. He had to train himself to put things in the proper folder immediately.

Prioritizing tasks using the "this will only take 2 minutes. Do it now and get it off your plate."

When he sticks with it the process works for him.

Do you know how your husband keeps his lists? I am a huge iPhone/iPad user, but for my tasks, I think I may work better with pen and paper. I just can't quite visualize how to set things up.

And I really need to learn more about how to manage email. Do you know how he sets his folders up?

I have already started applying the 2 minute rule...and I feel more productive  already!

Do you know how your husband keeps his lists? I am a huge iPhone/iPad user, but for my tasks, I think I may work better with pen and paper. I just can't quite visualize how to set things up.

And I really need to learn more about how to manage email. Do you know how he sets his folders up?

I have already started applying the 2 minute rule...and I feel more productive already!

He can't use pen and paper. He makes lists and then never looks at them. Everything goes on his calendar. Some items get multiple reminders. The key for him is not to mark the reminder as done until he actually does the task.

I believe his email has the following categories:

Today Urgent

Today by noon

Today by 3

Due by x date

To review by x date

Edited by kewb

Yes, I have used the GTD system for 15 years or so. I don't do evey bit of it. Once every few years, I like to skim through the book again. 

My biggest take away point was to only put actionable items on my to do list. For example, I need to help my oldest son find some health insurance before he ages out of ours. But "Help DS get health insurance" is a project. You can't do a project. Example actions would be call our insurance agent, research deadlines, brainstorm options with DS.

I try to structure my to do list with something to actually DO:

Research

Call

Buy

Send 

Fill Out

Email

Order

Find

Update

It was GTD that first made me think that way.

This week, I was trying to figure out how to keep track of events we might want to go to. Upcoming festivals and stuff like that. I don't want to put them on our calendar. Then, I thought about the GTD Tickler File system and realized that I could use a form of that. I don't have a Tickler File set up the way that GTD suggests, but I am rethinking that now. 

Edited by Penguin

For me, breaking down my task list was life changing. "Get DD's birth certificate" was on my list for 6 months before I read GTD. It helped me realize that I need to list the next actions. So 'get dd's birth certificate' became 'look up county birth certificate info', 'fill out bc form', 'buy $20 money order', etc.

Also, the brain dump is brilliant.

• Like 1

I have already started applying the 2 minute rule...and I feel more productive already!

I like the home routines app. It's loosely based on flylady and very customisable. You can set up different routines and customise them to reset daily, weekly and monthly. It also has a task list for once of tasks and a timer. I also use it for school stuff.

• Like 1