Menu

Audible??

bettyandbob

I got a subscription to audible because I needed an audio book in a hurry. Before the 30 days is up and I cancel, those of you that use it what do you like about it.

You get one audio book a month. Do you get anything else included. Are audible originals good. Anything else you can say...

They often have very good sales on books.  I will usually go and buy up a bunch for $5-10 a piece.  

Also, you can buy 3 extra credits for about $11.  This works well if you want a book that is usually on the expensive side.  I used it at Christmas to buy some audibles for my daughter.  

Edited by PrincessMommy

We use audible a lot. We listen to books all the time, especially when driving. I also listen when exercising or walking.  We listen on my phone; I just download the books and away we go.

I used to be an avid reader, but for some reason I can't read for long periods of time anymore (may be medication related). I teach a literature class at our coop, so audible is my main way of "reading" the books I'm teaching. 

I found that the credit-a-month was too much, so I am on the every-other-month program. I also keep an eye out for sales, discounts, and Great Courses. We also use it for language studies. 

ETA: You can keep any books you've purchased, even if you cancel your subscription later. Also, if you don't' like a narrator or book, you can get a refund (if you don't wait too long). I've done this several times. 

Edited by Tiberia

I love Audible for the immediacy, but our library offers a decent Overdrive library as well as Hoopla, and I pay for an out-of-state card at another library for more audiobook options. So I couldn't justify paying for Audible anymore. 

They offer Audible Channels, which were sometimes interesting, but they didn't make it worth keeping Audible, IMO. Their sales do tend to be pretty good, but again, not worth my spending almost $17 a month. I tend to resubscribe when I desperately want something quickly, so it's useful that way :lol: 

My son actually called and asked me (after I turned him on to Hoopla and Overdrive) why anyone would have an Audible account if they had access to the libraries ;) I use audible credits for more expensive things (great courses and expensive books) and things I want ongoing/permanent access to. Also -- they have a much bigger selection than my library apps for the genres I generally prefer. So for me, it's the same reason I ever buy books when I could just use the library. I have disposable income for books ;)

As far as what Audible includes:

Members get a discount on ALL audible books they purchase. (30% off list)

Members have access to the channels.

There are regular sales for members.

Plus there's the satisfaction guarantee.

• Like 1

If you don't know if you want it, go ahead and hit cancel. They'll usually make you a better offer. :D

And if you do cancel, after a number of months you'll be eligible again. Really though, that monthly gig isn't that great a discount. If you were doing two a month, maybe. I finally broke down and did the yearly for my ds. The sales are worth a lot. We have access to National Library Service, but one place never has everything. 

Another big reason to go with audible is if you like Whispersync. It can sync the place across devices AND it can switch you between ebook and audio or even do Immersion Reading. For some people those are nice features.

I don't listen to audiobooks ever, but I own tons of them for ds. I wouldn't feel bad if you cancel. It will be there later if you want it.

This is great timing -- I just got a trial because I wanted a book that has too many holds from the library to justify.

But I doubt that I will keep it. I get most things from hoopla and overdrive.

Unfortunately this book I had to have - I don't like the narrator and am finding it would be better as a physical book.

You can cancel your trial if you don't find anything you like. If you do plan to keep it until you get your credit, I recommend choosing a book that costs more than the monthly fee. Otherwise, why pay a monthly cost? Also, either choose a book that other members of your family might also enjoy listening to, or one you'll likely listen to again (like rereading a print book). You don't have to do either of those two things, but IMO that's the best way to take advantage of your subscription.

Subscription and membership aren't the same thing. You can be a member without a subscription. A lot of people don't realize that you don't have to have a paid subscription to Audible in order to buy audio books from there. You won't get the free book a month nor will you get "special" membership prices, but you can have an account without a subscription. I think you also won't get the Audible Originals either, though I can't say I've found any of them to be worth the price of a membership. Without a paid subscription you can just buy a book occasionally if that's all you want to do. If you find yourself buying more and more books, then it's time to consider a paid subscription.

Also, you can start and stop a subscription repeatedly. I do it often. I pay for a monthly membership when there are several higher priced books I want, and cancel after I get them. Just remember to keep it long enough to earn the credit and redeem it. Any books you buy or get free are yours to keep but if you cancel your subscription before earning and redeeming your credits you lose them.

Edited by Lady Florida.

My son actually called and asked me (after I turned him on to Hoopla and Overdrive) why anyone would have an Audible account if they had access to the libraries ;)

While I'm a regular user of my library for audio, print, and ebooks, I'd want to buy an audio book for the same reason I'd want to buy a book in any other format - Because it's a book I would like to own. :)