Menu

Placement for WWE and FLL

Bay Lake Mom

I started out the year using Sonlight LA 4.  We finished our 3rd week, and I am not happy.  My daughter will be 9 next month, and we consider her a 4th grader.  She hasn't had a lot of grammar and writing instruction.  We've tried BJU English, but it doesn't seem to stick with her.  After spending some time with samples... I think the FLL and WWE combination would be a good fit for both of us.  I need placement help.  I've looked at the "placement tests", but I guess I'm hoping for some confirmation from those who have been there and used that.

FLL - I was considering using FLL 3 with her.  She has had a basic introduction to the 8 parts of speech and 4 types of sentences.  She has not had a lot of practice work to help her understand exactly what those mean and how to use them.  She has never seen a diagrammed sentence.  I think FLL 3 would be good.  Agree?

WWE - This is where I'm stuck.  She struggles with remembering a sentence to write it down.  (dictation)  If I ask her to write 1 sentence, she asks me to repeat it several times.  Her spelling is awful, so that doesn't help.  She can provide a decent oral narration when asked, but I've never asked her to write one out.  Anytime I ask her to do any writing that requires thought, she shuts down.  ---  So.... I was thinking she might benefit from level 2.  Is she a bit too old for that level?  Should I put her in level 3 to match up with FLL?

*** Also, I'm considering using Spelling You See (Wild Tales) with her.  I do not like AAS.  We've tried it in the past.  We used the first 2 1/2 levels, and it has not helped her to become a better speller.  Using basic spelling lists with daily review doesn't work either.  At best, she remembers about 70% of the words, and I'm not sure she could actually still spell them 2 weeks later. 

Thank you in advance for your opinions and wisdom!

My fourth grader will be doing WWE2 and FLL 3 this year, so I don't see a problem with that.  I can't help with spelling, we use AAR/AAS for our other components.

Thank you for sharing this.  I'm feeling better about using WWE2.  There is that part of me that wants to use level 4 because she'll be in 4th grade, but I know that will set us both up for failure.  I had settled with using FLL3, but I really hesitated using only level 2 for WWE when I had heard many use this for 2nd grade!  I think she'll do well with it, though.  I'm sure she'll learn and grow, and her confidence will not be crushed as it would with level 4.  Again, thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing this.  I'm feeling better about using WWE2.  There is that part of me that wants to use level 4 because she'll be in 4th grade, but I know that will set us both up for failure.  I had settled with using FLL3, but I really hesitated using only level 2 for WWE when I had heard many use this for 2nd grade!  I think she'll do well with it, though.  I'm sure she'll learn and grow, and her confidence will not be crushed as it would with level 4.  Again, thank you for sharing.

I have older kids and started three in WWS in 6th, and one this year in 7th, so for us they aren't grade levels.

Also WWE4 is not required for WWS1 and is considered an optional extra year. You would probably be better doing WWE 2 and 3 well than 3 and 4 with difficulty. There is a recommmended sequence somewhere hopefully someone can link it. WWE can be condensed a bit if you are finding it a bit easy. A lot of people combine days 1 and 2 and some combine days 3 with 4 as well. That allows 3 days a week instead of four or faster progress until it gets harder.

Edited by kiwik