Menu

What biology for this 9th grader?

Dd (current 8th grader) will be starting high school next year.  I am looking ahead and trying to pick a biology class for her.  Here is a list of what she will have completed during middle school:

6th: Life Science with Kolbe Academy

7th: Clover Creek Physics

8th: WTMA Chemistry

I'm looking for a strong class that uses a secular textbook.  This student is academic, but has yet to develop a strong interest in a particular field.  She enjoyed her life science class, but it didn't spark a desire for further exploration.  So, this may or may not be the only biology-related course she takes in high school.  I'd like her to at least be able to take the SAT subject test after completing this class, in order to document the level of work that was put in, but I'm not sure if she will be ready for AP Biology? 

Here are the classes I have come across in my search, along with the texts they use.  Which of these do you think would be appropriately challenging?  Or is there another option I haven't listed?

Kolbe Academy (regular or honors class) - uses Prentice Hall Biology text

Blue Tent Online Honors Biology - uses Holt McDougal text

Thinkwell Biology  - (regular or AP) - no outside text?

PA Homeschoolers AP Biology - uses Biology by Campbell and Reece

WTMA Biology - uses Holt Biology

• Like 1

Just tossing out another idea.....

We used Science Shepherd for biology.  It is not secular, and you will have to omit the chapter on creation/evolution.  Having said that, the rest of the test is very solid.  The author puts the creation/evolution material in chapters all on the their own, so it is not mixed into the other chapters like in other publishers.  It is weighted heavier on bio-chemistry than some of the other texts I've seen.

• 1 month later...

I am bumping this thread back up because I am still undecided on a class for my student! It definitely needs to be a class, this student needs outside accountability and grading to put forth her best work.

Regarding the fundafunda class, would this class prepare a student for the SAT 2 test? Is there a lab component? Is the class asynchronous or does it have a live component? I looked at the website but am having a hard time figuring out how it works.

The Stanford class looks great, but it's out of my price range and I'm not sure if she will be ready for the AP level - how do I know?

Thanks for the info on Kolbe's class. This is going to be a hard decision... more feedback is welcome!

I don't believe fundafunda covers all the material needed for the SAT. I have a Barron's book on my shelf and there is significant chunk on organismal biology (plants, animals, human physiology) that isn't covered by fundafunda. For what it's worth, those sections are also not covered by our local high school. It seems to me that taking SAT bio after non AP course would require additional work. We aren't going to bother with a bio test. I have no idea why I even own Barron's prep book. 😳

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 3

I don't have a recommendation for you, but I'm not sure that PA Homeschoolers AP Bio would be the way to go for a new high schooler, at least with the instructor who has taught the class for the last few years. It's not a bad class, but perhaps lacking in clarity of instruction, which can be frustrating, even for a bright kid.

Whatever class you choose, I'd build in some time for her to go through a prep book, or at least take a few practice tests, before doing the SAT subject test. It's the rare class that doesn't have some holes in it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like WTMA might be a better match than FundaFunda if she is going to take the SAT 2. She will definitely use a prep book to cover any holes and get some practice in.

I figured the AP wasn't a good match for this grade, but wasn't 100% sure. She will have a pretty solid 9th grade load and I don't want to overwhelm her, so I think the SAT is a better route.