Menu

damn..I'm starting to lose my mind here (I don't eat sugar..LOL)

SparklyUnicorn

This was on the list of possible triggers for dh's serious GERD issues.  I don't think it is actually one of his triggers though.

I have a relative who insists they are allergic to all sorts of mint...  says their throat feels like it closes up, and gets really irritated.   Everyone is different.

• Like 1

I can't remember if you have a spouse/partner? If you do, that person needs to be treated as well, even if they have no symptoms. And no intimacy until treatment is done and both are tested. Recurring infections can mean a symptomless partner is giving it to you again and again. Studies are mixed on whether this happens as often with oral sex and thrush, but it makes sense to me and certainly doesn't hurt to try. 

• Like 1

I can't remember if you have a spouse/partner? If you do, that person needs to be treated as well, even if they have no symptoms. And no intimacy until treatment is done and both are tested. Recurring infections can mean a symptomless partner is giving it to you again and again. Studies are mixed on whether this happens as often with oral sex and thrush, but it makes sense to me and certainly doesn't hurt to try. 

Yeah that's not a factor.

• Like 1

peppermint and cinnamon are both triggers for my reflux. Peppermint is good for nausea, not so much reflux. It is a smooth muscle relaxant and by relaxing the LES valve it allows acid to reflux up. 

Thus the issue dh has....he has an esophugus that closes up on him to the point he can't get food or liquid down.  But when he is in bed at night it opens up and he has terrible reflux.  40 mg of omerprozol per day helps.

• Like 1

When I was trying to help my husband's tummy issues, I read that diets that are too low carb can make your body produce ketones, and yeasts can actually feed on ketones! (That's just ridiculously unfair, in my opinion.) If your diet really is too low carb, you may want to add some "safe starches" (potatoes, rice - not gluten or corn) and see how you feel. Too low carb also makes the thyroid malfunction, not sure if that affects yeasts.

Paul Jaminet has something called the "Perfect Health Diet" which may be helpful to you - it includes a low-ish-to-moderate amount of carbs. You can read about it here: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

It would be pretty ironic if the low carb diet, designed to fight candida, actually produced ketones to feed the candida. Maybe you could do a day or two of slightly increased carbs and see how you do.

Ya know, this is intriguing.  I googled around a lot and came across many people mentioning a problem with a coating on their tongue, thrush, and even something some called "keto tongue" who were on very low carb diets.  I think I am going to give this a try (upping carbs) to see if it helps.  Thank you!

• Like 2

Ya know, this is intriguing.  I googled around a lot and came across many people mentioning a problem with a coating on their tongue, thrush, and even something some called "keto tongue" who were on very low carb diets.  I think I am going to give this a try (upping carbs) to see if it helps.  Thank you!

I got a weird rash when I went very low carb, and then I googled and found out that tons of other people had the same thing happen. I added some carbs back into my diet and it went away. Hope the same thing happens with your thrush!

• Like 2

Sure! I hope it works. There is some debate about "safe starches" in the paleo community... the idea being that certain starches are pretty hypoallergenic (that's not the right word, but I can't think of it at the moment). Rice, white potatoes and sweet potatoes are in that category. Corn, quinoa, gluten (wheat, rye, barley), and any others are not, because they can irritate the gut. 

• Like 1

I can't tolerate apple cider vinegar.  But this is a strange idea to me because if one's body is highly acidic, how does swallowing acid help that?

Yes, it sounded strange to me, too. But it does help me. I read that ACV alkalizes the digestive tract after digestion. I can tolerate 1 Tbsp in 150 ml of water.

• Like 1

Sure! I hope it works. There is some debate about "safe starches" in the paleo community... the idea being that certain starches are pretty hypoallergenic (that's not the right word, but I can't think of it at the moment). Rice, white potatoes and sweet potatoes are in that category. Corn, quinoa, gluten (wheat, rye, barley), and any others are not, because they can irritate the gut. 

I hate rice, but I do like potatoes so adding that is doable.

I'm so gosh darn stumped though because I've been eating LC for quite some time.  But I suppose the one difference is I rarely go that low for such a long period of time.  And who knows there just might be some OTHER factor on top of that that I didn't have before.  I really don't know.

And now I have to get a new doctor.  Which takes times.  So I might go to a walk in for now.

• Like 1

You could also simply up the starchy veggies: peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, squashes, split pea soup, etc.

Yeah I think that is what I'll do.  For one thing I'm pretty used to eating this way so the thought of eating rice is just yuck to me.  I like most of those vegetables though.  It was my plan anyway to up carbs.  I'm still a little skeptical that will make any sort of difference, but I don't mind trying.

I ended up at the walk-in clinic yesterday.  The doc was super nice and gave me 2x the dose of the Clotrimazole.  She said I should bug the GI doc for this problem.  I told her about my stupid family doc and she agreed I should find someone else.  So I've been working on that.  My appointment with the GI isn't until October though.