Menu

old old old SAT

Mbelle

Is there a way to compare the 1987 or 1988 SAT to today?

Which is when I took it.

This is easy:

- If your scores are higher than those of your DCs, then the tests are directly comparable.

- If your DC's scores are higher than yours, then the new tests are significantly easier than the old old older tests.

The above rules should be applied to subscores (math & english) as required.

That's it! :laugh: 

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 23

This is easy:

- If your scores are higher than those of your DCs, then the tests are directly comparable.

- If your DC's scores are higher than yours, then the new tests are significantly easier than the old old older tests.

The above rules should be applied to subscores (math & english) as required.

That's it! :laugh: 

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

I'm positive my kids are smarter and better test takers than I am!

They also care a whole lot more than I did. 

There is no reason to let them know any of that! ;)

Although my English scores were low, I STILL hold the record in this family for SAT Math.  There is no good reason for this since our three oldest were ALL capable of beating my score, but they all scored 10 points shy of my score.

They are all aware of this fact.  It's all I got left... :tongue_smilie:

(I'm really hoping that DS17 beats me and everyone else when he takes the SAT again in November.  He has worked SO hard and that would be a great boost for him!)

• Like 1

Yes, that website did not go far enough back for me either! LOL

My dd is very different than me in many ways, but she is exactly the same when it comes to being very language dominant and very average at math, which just makes us feel dumb.  

• Like 1

What years was(were) the recentering(s) done? My scores go back to the early 1970s.

The recentering was done in 1995, I believe.  As I understand it, if your scores are from the 70's or 80's, you can convert them using the table in that link. The drop-down menus take you to a pdf link for the data sets for the chosen year, and, aiui, aren't connected to the table.)

The recentering was done in 1995, I believe. As I understand it, if your scores are from the 70's or 80's, you can convert them using the table in that link. The drop-down menus take you to a pdf link for the data sets for the chosen year, and, aiui, aren't connected to the table.)

I'm not sure what that table is for, but that drop down menu only goes back to 1996, so if it was renormed in 1995, it doesn't even include one year of data for the old-old test. I'm thinking it's for comparing post-normed test to the newer shiny SAT that just came out??

I'm not sure what that table is for, but that drop down menu only goes back to 1996, so if it was renormed in 1995, it doesn't even include one year of data for the old-old test. I'm thinking it's for comparing post-normed test to the newer shiny SAT that just came out??

No, it's similar (I want to say same, but my memory is not perfect) to other tables I've seen for the pre-recentering SAT to the post-recentering SAT. Really, just ignore the drop-down menus... it's obviously not perfect, since there are minor fluctuations from year to year, but it will take your pre-1995 SAT to a post-1995 equivalent (and there haven't been any major recenterings since, afaik). (my wife took the pre-recentering SAT, so we obviously had to compare my Jan 2005 (which I think is the old old or the old old old SAT at this point, so OP is missing an old or so I think... they keep changing it every couple of years now it seems (Jan 2005 was the last without an essay))).

ETA: and it also changes the scores by about the amount other sources say they scored the amounts by during the Great Recentering of '95.

Edited by luuknam

The table seems to be the same as the one put out after the recentering and long before the more recent changes.  Here's another copy of it, very clearly addressing converting between pre and post 1995 scores: http://www.greenes.com/html/convert.htm

...and the College Board describes it as doing so:

"In April 1995, the College Board recentered the score scales for all tests in the SAT Program to reflect the contemporary test-taking population. Recentering reestablished the average score for a study group of 1990 seniors at about 500—the midpoint of the 200-to-800 scale—allowing students, schools, and colleges to more easily interpret their scores in relation to those of a similar group of college-bound seniors.

The following equivalence tables will help you convert individual and mean SAT and Subject Test scores from the original scale to the recentered scale:"

https://research.collegeboard.org/programs/sat/data/equivalence

...but those drop-down menus do make it look as if the table is addressing post 1996 comparisons only.