Menu

Ugh, if I get a job, I'll need new clothes!

Hilltopmom

Somehow, my mom uniform of yoga pants (ok, lands end starfish pants) and a short or long sleeve Life is Good t shirt isn't gonna cut it for a teaching job or office job.

Sob.

That is stressing me out even more than setting up daycare for the kids for said hypothetical job!

My old teaching uniform was linen gauchos with a nice fitted tee & over jacket or cardigan... I haven't seen outfits like that in years. And that was 50 lbs ago too.

Dress pants & nice button down tops?

Oh man, I'm going to have to shop...

Eh, or I could just stay a SAHM forever, right?!

• Like 1

Been there, done that.

I was lucky to be able to up my wardrobe slowly. When I went into real estate, I bought a couple of pairs of black slacks. And one pair of khakis. I had a few cute non-tee-shirt tops so that helped. A couple of pair of cute shoes/sandals for summer. A couple of dresses added to the mix.

That got me by until I had a bit of money coming in.  Over time I've added more summer type pants, more tops, and a few worth their weight in gold-toppers. A light third piece to wear when it's toooooo HOT for a blazer.

I make more than I spend on clothes, so it works out in the end. :hurray:

• Like 1

I go for less trendy things myself, stuff that I think will work for years. Stuff I can mix and match ideally. When I used to work I owned a few skirts, a few pairs of slacks (some solid, a pair of pinstripe, some plaid but not really loud plaid designs) and tops. Several camisoles since I usually wore those underneath.

When I had to shop for Easter I found some tops I liked at Steinmart (a little pricy but I love them). I also like to go to Cato. Didn't have any luck this last time. JcPenney is also one of my favorite places to look. Might wanna try Kohl's. I'm sure there are several more options depending on where you live. I don't have a Sears around me but I used to buy stuff there.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/10394171?sod=w&som=c  This is my referral link. Feel free to use it or not.

Stitch Fix is a fun, non-overwhelming way to build up your wardrobe. The stylist will focus on what you say you need right now. I have really enjoyed my two fixes so far. I am receiving quarterly fixes, but if I were building a work wardrobe, I would get fixes monthly for a while.

• Like 1

Same boat! I'm hoping subbing will work out for me this year (also have to think about kid care for my 20 yo disabled dd). I bought a nice pair of black pants from Eddie Bauer--can I just keep wearing those every day??  I think I can handle September with some warm weather stuff I already have, but I definitely need a few more things if this works out. And shoes--I need nice shoes that are comfortable for standing all day.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned Dressbarn in another thread, and I have to say, they were fantastic when I went yesterday in a total panic. They helped me match outfits together, nothing was see through (unlike some other stores), they had more and less casual stuff, they had a whole half the store that was plus sizes, they had petites, they had tummy control pants...they were fantastic. And the sales people were SO helpful. 

• Like 3

Look for an New York and Company (even better if it's an outlet!) and get on their email list. Tons of sales, coupons and clearance. Most of their things coordinate at any given time. Get a couple cardigans and sleeveless shell tops to wear underneath. Rotate as needed.

• Like 3