Menu

Best Latin for early elementary?

Minimus, maybe?  But it requires more work in translation.

We started with Latin's Not So Tough. It's a workbook series but we did it orally.  We're continuing with Getting Started With Latin.  Not a workbook, but not super fun for little ones.  SSSpanish was a bust here so we didn't even attempt SSLatin, but for kids who like singing, puppetry, and games, it looks to be very sweet.

Having gone through SSL1, part of SSL2, and looking ahead to my very active boy-child coming up.....I would do SSL again, but I think I would just do the workbook orally with him. Dd likes worksheets, but quickly gets tired out with writing, so I don't want to use up all her writing patience on Latin at this point. Even with her, there are some pages we just do orally because they would require so much writing.

• Like 1

I second the recommendation of I Speak Latin. I have written about it in these forums in the past, so I won't repeat all that since you can search on it but just give a few short reasons:

It teaches real grammar and vocabulary

It is not workbook based, but focused on speaking and listening

It's fun

It is scripted for the parent.

• Like 1