Menu

Is it just me?

Elizabeth86

I'm newly expecting number 4 and with all of them I feel flat out depressed about "replacing" the baby. I feel that way my whole pregnancy until the baby gets here. This time I wanted a bigger age gap, but oops. Anyway, dh told me I'd feel this way no matter the age gap. Am I alone on this or does anyone else get this way too? I wanted another, I wanted them all, but it just crushes me letting go of the baby.

I have age gaps from 2 years to 8 years.

I always feel like, "Oh, Man, we better have a new baby soon before spoil the youngest beyond all redemption!"

We are physically too old to have a 6th kid, so our youngest is pretty rotten. She could do with a little replacing.

Edited by amy g.
  • Like 3

Except for the one gap of 13 months, my kids are all about 3.5 years apart.  If I'm being completely honest ( :o ), I felt like their baby-ness was all used up by then so, no, I didn't feel like they were being replaced. They were done.  :auto:

When #5 was all used up, I got a puppy.

And then my teenage daughter "stole" my puppy.

I give up!

• Like 3

We have 4 (1 adopted).  EVERY time I was pregnant with the next baby, my first thought was, "What have we done?!?!"  My second thought was sadness for the current youngest child to the point that I would apologize to them. "I'm sorry you're going to have a new little baby brother or sister!  I'm sorry they are going to steal your time with me!"  I felt in some ways like the unborn baby was going to steal me away from the current youngest child.  I always felt sorry for them.  

I'm also expecting #4, and I've felt like this for all of them, but especially when pregnant with #3. It was unexpected timing wise, and we only had 17 months between them. That felt too close for me. (These two will be our biggest gap at 21 months, so all my kids are close. But 4 months is a lot of time when you aren't even two yet.)

My head knows it'll be fine, and the youngest doesn't even remember the baby coming, but I still feel a little sad about "replacing" the current baby.

This is our last, so she'll probably be hopelessly spoiled and my baby forever. Or so fiercely independent I'll be grateful when college rolls around...

For me, whenever my baby starts to grow obnoxious and naughty I get broody and start telling my dh that I need a new baby. I can see the handwriting on the wall. As soon as they're naughty, babyhood has started to fade and I need to start growing a replacement before I find myself without one at all. :P