Menu

What to do with medicine bottles?

happypamama

I have several to donate. I've heard that there are places who send them to developing countries, but I'm having trouble finding one currently accepting them. Anyone know what I can do with them other than stick them in the recycling bin? If anyone here has a need for them, I'd be happy to send them to you. They'll be clean and have childproof caps.

I just recycle them. Hard to imagine it's cost-effective for an organization to accept used medicine bottles from individuals!

There were organizations who shipped them to other countries along with medical supplies a few years ago. If it saves someone money over purchasing new ones, I'm happy to donate.

They'll be free of labels and glue, and washed.

• Like 1

Peel your personal info off.

For larger ones, you could transform them into mini first aid kits for the purse or diaper bag.

I like this idea! But thanks to this year's medical dramas, dh and I have amassed more than we need and will have a steady supply of them at least for a while longer. Recycling is good, but if anyone can use them in a productive way, that would be even better!

There were organizations who shipped them to other countries along with medical supplies a few years ago.

The. Malawi project ended. The Matthew 25 ministries project is still ongoing and is based in Cincinnati, OH 45242. i have no experience with either.

"Matthew 25: Ministries accepts donations of empty plastic pill bottles for inclusion in shipments of medical supplies and for shredding and recycling. Our pill bottle program fulfills the dual needs of improving medical care in developing countries and caring for our environment." http://m25m.org/pillbottles/

• Like 1

The. Malawi project ended. The Matthew 25 ministries project is still ongoing and is based in Cincinnati, OH 45242. i have no experience with either.

"Matthew 25: Ministries accepts donations of empty plastic pill bottles for inclusion in shipments of medical supplies and for shredding and recycling. Our pill bottle program fulfills the dual needs of improving medical care in developing countries and caring for our environment." http://m25m.org/pillbottles/

Thank you! I've sent them a message to double check that they're still accepting them. That would work nicely!

• Like 1

Thank you! I've sent them a message to double check that they're still accepting them. That would work nicely!

Will you please let me know what you find out?

I've been saving bottles but putting off removing labels. I need to get on this!

I prefer things be reused when possible and even though they're "cheap" they are needed in other places.

• Like 1

How do you get the stickers and residue off cleanly?

Most of mine just peeled off easily, leaving no residue.  I am going to put them all in the dishwasher, and in the future, just peel them and put them in the dishwasher as we empty them.  A few I might need to wipe with Goo Gone or something, but if that proves to be a pain, I'll just recycle those few.

Will you please let me know what you find out?

I've been saving bottles but putting off removing labels. I need to get on this!

I prefer things be reused when possible and even though they're "cheap" they are needed in other places.

Will do!  I'm sure there's a cost breakdown somehow of my shipping them to someone vs. an organization buying new ones vs. the cost of recycling them into something else, but I don't know what that is.  I do kind of hate the idea that something is single use, especially something so very common.

• Like 1