Menu

Wondering about clothes for Iraqi children

Guinevere

Maybe I'm being shallow, and I know I don't understand some of the cultural and religious aspects, but when I look at pictures of Iraqi children from places that have just been liberated from ISIS, the children are often wearing clothes that don't match, or are ill-fitting and  old and etc.  My children certainly wear stained and old clothes sometimes, but I really enjoy seeing my children when they are wearing cute little outfits.  There's just something nice about that to me, and I've love to be able to share that feeling with these families.  The idea of a little girl smiling and feeling so excited when she sees a pretty and colorful spinny dress, just for her, with a matching flower for her hair, makes me feel so happy.

Is this impossible?  Irrelevant?  Shallow?  

No, no, I don't mean that.

I mean, I want to know how to send things to brighten their lives.  I know they need food, and water, and shelter, but I can't do those things, besides trying to support those who can.  But maybe I could send beauty?  Is that possible?  Is it just too out of place?

But then, I have a friend who is a conservative Christian who felt that birthdays were selfish, and they did not celebrate them.  Just because I think birthday cakes are a happy thing, I would never dream of baking one for their children.  I don't want to send things that are not appropriate.  Does that make sense?  

No, no, I don't mean that.

I mean, I want to know how to send things to brighten their lives.  I know they need food, and water, and shelter, but I can't do those things, besides trying to support those who can.  But maybe I could send beauty?  Is that possible?  Is it just too out of place?

But then, I have a friend who is a conservative Christian who felt that birthdays were selfish, and they did not celebrate them.  Just because I think birthday cakes are a happy thing, I would never dream of baking one for their children.  I don't want to send things that are not appropriate.  Does that make sense?  

Having worked in relief organizations for many years, I find your kind thoughts refreshing and very lovely.  It is true that a little beauty in a time of strife can be a most welcome thing for people who are struggling just to survive.  Too often, people who send things to war-torn or underdeveloped countries will send used items thinking that those things are what's best for them.  While it is true that any clothes are better than no clothes, I think it marginalizes human lives to think that they should be grateful for "just whatever" anyone sends them.  Children should be able to enjoy new clothes, or new up-to-date schoolbooks, or new pencils and notebooks.  This is, partly, why aid organizations ask for monetary donations, so they can purchase the needed items, often purchasing local goods that are familiar, or bringing in mass quantities of new goods at bulk discounted rates. 

That said, it will be difficult to get new items into the hands you would wish them to go. Most aid agencies need monetary donations as they are trying to address a broad spectrum of needs in a region.  Some faith based or military auxillary based groups do accept clothing.  In general, though, when clothing items are donated, they are all laundered prior to shipping whether new or not, and so the very new thing you had hoped to be pretty might not end up looking so new and fresh after an industrial laundering.  Keeping that in mind, you can still send new items, but be aware of the laundering instructions and the details on the garments.  Try to choose things that can withstand an industrial laundering and hold up nicely. Pass on items that are of more delicate fabrics or not meant to be machine dried. Instead of delicate details on a dress, perhaps look for things that are brighter colours and in a poly blend (which doesn't colour fade as much as all cotton). 

I hope this helps a bit. 

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 8

I wonder if there may also be a cultural element related to how much clothing a child needs.  In places I've lived (USA, Europe) it would be normal for a child to have several drawers of clothes, including play clothes and a few nicer things for parties, church, etc.  Because there are multiples of most items, those things will stay looking nice longer.  

Another culture might not feel children need 10 t-shirts.  It may be normal and acceptable that a child has 1-2 t-shirts, that are worn until they are worn out.  So the state of the clothes may not even be a reflection on war-torn vs peace time.  If that is the case, I wonder if the parents would purposely choose clothes that are going to stand up to a lot of wear, and totally pass over a sequined dress that will not suit the lifestyle, rigorous hand washing, etc.  

• Like 3

Your idea is very thoughtful and very kind. You can send new baby clothes to families displaced by war and disaster through Mennonite Central Committee. The instructions for putting together infant care kits are here. Their site says, "10,005 infant care kits shipped last year to Ethiopia, Lebanon, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Zambia, Ukraine, Iraq, Haiti, Jordan, the U.S. and more." MCC has been doing relief work since 1920. I've been following their work for many years and have been very impressed by what they do and how they do it.

ETA: You may also be interested in this organization: Dress a Girl Around the World. I honestly don't know much about them, but their website says, "To date we've delivered over 500,000 dresses to 81 countries."

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3