Menu

Public school supplies, ticked over excess

Janeway

When we were last in public school, I didn't deal with it because I didn't send it in to class.  I looked at the list, made sure my kid had what was on the list in his backback/pencil case and re-stocked what was depleted each Sunday night.  The school district needs to cut the bloated administrative staff and put the money into basic supplies instead.

Edited by reefgazer

Twenty five dollars for a binder?! I get mine on Amazon for like seven or eight bucks I think.

I'm a bit confused, too. For one binder I think even the large ones are not that much normally. The most I spent on a large one was from a Staples or Office Depot? And that was probably more like $12. Since then I've stuck to cheaper ones, but I do seek out the PVC-free styles.

A pencil a week seems excessive?

I can totally see how 7 boxes of crayons or 40 glue sticks is excessive, but kids go through pencils fast.

Do you mean just the erasers or the whole pencil? I bought a new box of 12 this year to augment last year's box of 24 used, which still has about 6 left in circulation between me and three kids.. I think my hand would fall of before I could write through 48 pencils in a year. I have a strict "use a pink eraser" policy for the kids to try and save the pencil erasers which mostly works.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused, too. For one binder I think even the large ones are not that much normally. The most I spent on a large one was from a Staples or Office Depot? And that was probably more like $12. Since then I've stuck to cheaper ones, but I do seek out the PVC-free styles.

$10-12 is what I've seen for those large binders.

Twenty five dollars for a binder?! I get mine on Amazon for like seven or eight bucks I think.

$25 was Amazon, last year.

This year, I was just shopping at Staples.  They had them on sale for $20.  They are big, 3 inch, zippered binders, like trapper keepers.  The kids actually do use them all day, every day, and every teacher is on board for it being a major piece of how they teach organization, so despite the price, it isn't something I hate.  But it does get you.  

• Like 1

This year, I was just shopping at Staples. They had them on sale for $20. They are big, 3 inch, zippered binders, like trapper keepers. The kids actually do use them all day, every day, and every teacher is on board for it being a major piece of how they teach organization, so despite the price, it isn't something I hate. But it does get you.

Zippered? I haven't seen a 3 inch zippered binder. But I agree if it's something actually being used and the teachers are actively teaching it as a good organization tool it wouldn't bother me.

Zippered? I haven't seen a 3 inch zippered binder. But I agree if it's something actually being used and the teachers are actively teaching it as a good organization tool it wouldn't bother me.

Picture a giant purse without a strap and 3 rings.

Zippered? I haven't seen a 3 inch zippered binder.

We have this kind. An iPad can fit into the outer zipped pocket. Useful for my kids when they are spending the day at the library. Link has photos https://www.amazon.com/Case-Mighty-3-Inch-Zipper-D-146-BLK/dp/B007SQZHKW

Ours are probably about five years old. I use them for keeping my kids work samples.

Edited by Arcadia

Since we're talking about school waste...

My co-op co-director found a place that "recycles" school supplies.  Teachers/schools/organizations drop off their extras and teachers/other non-profits can come in and take what they want.  Technically, it's a win/win.  Except I was absolutely shocked by some of the things that were "extras".

We scored a *ton* of battery circuits, complete with unopened batteries and light bulbs, and it was still probably less than 10% of the amount they had.  We were told it's too expensive to ship back and for companies to repack for future orders, so random science supplies just get dumped.

Petri dishes, pipettes, base 10 blocks, geoboards, thermometers...

We even got cases of hand sanitizer!

That was in addition to stuff that was obviously from individual teachers like binders, markers, paints, pipe cleaners, construction paper, etc.

If you can find a center, recommend it to your school! (Or use it, if it's open to you!!!)

http://www.reuseresources.org/find-a-center.html

The one we found isn't even listed on here, so I'm sure there are others.

Oh my gosh! Not only do they have one here, but I am headed to that town tomorrow. ALSO, I stopped in their parking lot last week to do some geocaching thing. 

This year, I was just shopping at Staples.  They had them on sale for $20.  They are big, 3 inch, zippered binders, like trapper keepers.  The kids actually do use them all day, every day, and every teacher is on board for it being a major piece of how they teach organization, so despite the price, it isn't something I hate.  But it does get you.  

Wow, that takes me back to jr high in the 80's!

The History of the Trapper Keeper

http://mentalfloss.com/article/52726/history-trapper-keeper

"It's the first time it was possible to have 'cool school supplies,'" he says. "It made something that most children dreaded—school supply shopping—into something that at least bordered on fun."

• Like 3