Menu

Artistic pursuits, Home Art Studio, or Atelier Art?

avazquez24

My kids LOVED Atelier art and produced some amazing art with it, but I just couldn't justify spending that much on art every year. My dd often asks if we can get it again or do some of the projects again. She's very artistic and I may use it again in high school, but for now we're using free stuff online or Artistic Pursuits lessons.

My kids LOVED Atelier art and produced some amazing art with it, but I just couldn't justify spending that much on art every year. My dd often asks if we can get it again or do some of the projects again. She's very artistic and I may use it again in high school, but for now we're using free stuff online or Artistic Pursuits lessons.

My kids love Atelier, too. If you use Ebay, keep an eye out for the level(s) you're interested in-- I've been able to get 2 levels for less than $40 each. Definitely worth it, since my kids also like repeating the projects (although not immediately). I can't compare it to the other programs, as it's the only one I've tried, but you can watch sample lessons on their site if you're willing to provide some personal information

I would recommend Deep Space Sparkle, but she recently changed her program and I don't find it as accessible to homeschoolers now.

Of Atelier and Home Art Studio, I would say Home Art Studio. DD liked it better. But, she has liked Deep Space Sparkle even more. Me too! DSS moved a lot of her products to a subscription service. There are still several products available in bundles, though.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Deep-Space-Sparkle

https://www.deepspacesparkle.com/shop/

We only have artistic pursuits.

The pluses... I feel that is a very thorough drawing programme and I like the linked lessons about various artists and history.

Negatives for us has been that it seems to have increased some perfectionist tendencies with one of my kids so he's more reluctant to give it a go with the specific exercises. Also I haven't found retention of the information on the artists to be that great thought the information is interesting.

Overall I would definitely recommend it though I can't compare it to the others.

Deep space sparkle has a podcast and sometimes provides linked lessons which is free and fun.

Edited by Ausmumof3

I can only speak about Artistic Pursuits but I think it's great. There's a little information and then a lesson. I love that the pictures of the end results are by kids so it's not discouraging to kids by being something completely unattainable. DH has been really surprised at the output by our 7 and 4 year old and often asks if I helped, which I don't. They are having fun and their skills are progressing so I'm happy. Have you done any scripted lessons yet? I recently did the Rainbow Resources free lesson with the kids on sculpting Pinocchio and DS hated doing it in steps, like the instructions said to make the head, then the body, etc. and he didn't want to do it in steps, he just wanted to make it his way. With AP there's a theme and a medium but the rest is up to him, I think he would hate a scripted step by step lesson. It might help to try a sample of different types of lessons in case you have a child that would hate one style. AP is also quick. The lessons really don't take very long so it's pretty easy to get to. Rainbow has a great supply kit that's cheaper than buying everything separately and it's great having everything on hand so lack of supplies don't get in the way. I bought a second set but we still haven't used up the first yet. I usually have DS start so he gets going with the watercolor crayons and then he paints while she colors so it wouldn't be that hard to share supplies with multiple kids.

Edited by ExcitedMama

We have only used Artistic Pursuits and Home Art Studio.  We prefer the projects in Home Art Studio, but our family has issues getting DVD lessons done.  I have no idea why.  I have started going through the lessons on the disc and just printing off the ones we want to do.  We found Artistic Pursuits soooo monotonous.  I felt like every second project was with chalk pastels and the kids got incredibly frustrated being shown a work of art and then being expected to replicate it. 

We have used both Home Art Studio and Atelier. We both much prefer Home Art Studio. DD thinks the Atelier teacher seems mean and it bothers her. I feel like the quality of the work DD does is much better with HAS, and the program is much cheaper.