Menu

Don't know what to make of this form sent home from school.

My dd 6th grade PE teacher sent home a letter with the following info:

We are currently playing many dodge ball type games in PE. Please insure that you child can do the following things:

Throw with the right hand while stepping with the left

Throw with the left hand while stepping with right

Track ball with eyes

Catch ball from 10 and 15 feet away

I don't exactly understand the purpose of this form. Wouldn't they be able to determine if they can do this in class? And if not, is it not the purpose of the class to wrok on these abilities. It seems to me that they are trying to determine if the child is capable of developmentally appropriate abilities and I am not quite sure that this is the school responsibility. I do have a family doctor and she did have a school physical before school started. I not exactly sure about this but it leaves me feeling slightly uneasy so I thought that I would check with hive see what say you.

We are currently playing many dodge ball type games in PE. Please insure that you child can do the following things:

Track ball with eyes

I don't exactly understand the purpose of this form. Wouldn't they be able to determine if they can do this in class? And if not, is it not the purpose of the class to wrok on these abilities. It seems to me that they are trying to determine if the child is capable of developmentally appropriate abilities and I am not quite sure that this is the school responsibility. I do have a family doctor and she did have a school physical before school started. I not exactly sure about this but it leaves me feeling slightly uneasy so I thought that I would check with hive see what say you.

Maybe it is just PE homework. You could always just ask. :)

Haven't heard of anything like this and I would agree that this should be part of the class- teaching them these skills.

On a side note- :eek: eek! Dodge ball brings back memories of how hard the boys could throw and how long the pain lasted from being hit. Hope things have mellowed down in school some since then.:glare:

On a side note- :eek: eek! Dodge ball brings back memories of how hard the boys could throw and how long the pain lasted from being hit. Hope things have mellowed down in school some since then.:glare:

My introduction to the sadistic impulse: Michael Ford, 6th grade dodgeball.

Forms like that, ones that take so much time out of your day to interpret.... very annoying. Let us know what the heck it means.

That they think parents might not know to look for these skills. I don't care how perfect a school is, teachers who listen to parents learn a lot. Yes, teachers can observe in class. But when a mother says, "I think he's still not really understanding X concept" that's helpful to a teacher. If the parents all take the time to check out these skills with their child, not only will everyone have fun doing it, but they teacher can better identify if there is a problem. I wouldn't think anything of it, but would enjoy the assignment.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Oh yeah, skinny little runt me got hit in the stomach and passed out. I still remember my best friend standing over me while I lay on the ground watching bright little bubbles burst in front of my eyes. "Is she dead?" :001_huh:

Oh yeah, skinny little runt me got hit in the stomach and passed out. I still remember my best friend standing over me while I lay on the ground watching bright little bubbles burst in front of my eyes. "Is she dead?" :001_huh:

I couldn't help but to laugh at this and Nicole's post. At least I wasn't the only one that the words "dodge ball" stirred something up in. lol.:lol:

Track ball with eyes

I would think that that is the PE teacher's job. No?:confused:

Ridiculous from what I see. PE is to teach your children how to do these things. You don't just throw kids in a baseball game and expect them to know how. You don't just say, drop and give me 20 and expect them to do it right. Do they teach in school anymore or is it all done after hours by the parent?

Sorry, but it's just crazy to me.