Menu

S/O What do you use Alexa for?

anmom

I have Alexa on my desktop. My problem is what would serve as intercoms in the girls' rooms? Do you have to have more than one? And our computers don't have mics or cameras built in.

You need more than one Alexa device. My children have an echo dot in their rooms and I can talk to them through the echo dot in my room. I hope that makes better sense.

• Like 1

You need more than one Alexa device. My children have an echo dot in their rooms and I can talk to them through the echo dot in my room. I hope that makes better sense.

Still having trouble figuring out how to do this.  Help!  :)  

I would hate this device and have no use for one -- but this SNL parody of Alexa was hilarious: "Amazon Echo - SNL"

The SNL skit was hilarious. My dad would be the old guy telling stories to it (put that uh-huh feature to good use) and my mom would be the old lady telling it to turn up the thermostat. My granny would be saying, "I don't know about that."

• Like 3

So, love the reminders, although I'm still not sure if you can have it tell you to do something every day, at the same time? 

Also, FYI, when I looked it up it says that if you tell the echo or dot in one room to remind you, just that one will remind you, not all of them in the house. Which actually works well for me...it means I might get my teen a dot for his room for him to use. He could add stuff to the household shopping list with it, add stuff to our mutual calendar with it, and set reminders just for himself. 

• Like 1

So, love the reminders, although I'm still not sure if you can have it tell you to do something every day, at the same time? 

I haven't tried that either. Test it. Tell it to remind you to do something every day at 10AM or whenever and see if it works. 

I haven't tried that either. Test it. Tell it to remind you to do something every day at 10AM or whenever and see if it works. 

Ugh, just found the answer by googling..and no. No recurrent reminders. That's lame. I bet they fix that soon. 

• Like 1

We use it as a shopping list, weather, timer, reminders, and occasional jokes/music/audible.

My kids use it to text dh when he's at work. And to ask about spelling words. I make them set their own time out and reading timers.

Here pretty soon it will be able to control our Sonos system. That alone will make it worth while and was the main reason we bought it. I didn't realize about the intercom option though, I might pick up a few more on prime day for that.

Edited by Meagan S

We use it as a shopping list, weather, timer, reminders, and occasional jokes/music/audible.

My kids use it to text dh when he's at work. And to ask about spelling words. I make them set their own time out and reading timers.

Here pretty soon it will be able to control our Sonos system. That alone will make it worth while and was the main reason we bought it. I didn't realize about the intercom option though, I might pick up a few more on prime day for that.

How do your children use it to text?

I am reading this thread and still don't understand how the things you use her for are worth the cost of the device.

What do you consider the biggest advantage over using computer, alarm clock, and notepad?

I don't think they're worth the cost. We have Alexa and Google home, but they were both gifts. We use them for music and as timers, but we wouldn't have purchased them.