Menu

The Where's My Child's Brain Teachers Lounge 6-29-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning, all! Welcome to the Lounge!

Today's theme stems from my soon-to-be 13yo son whose brain seems to have left him most mornings, and sometimes all day.

Now, granted, I know this age is a lot like that due to massive hormone production and constant growth but good night!

Sometimes I wonder if we'll even get any academics done at all. Or if he'll be able to function without my constant prodding.

Anyone else have a child whose brain seems to be on constanst sabbatical? Here: see above.

Anyone else feel like they can relate to their child's brainlessness but from the other side of that issue? Here: sometimes!

I'm pretty sure I might be perimenopausal some days and sometimes, I'm not sure. 

What do you feed these constantly hungry kids, anyway? Here: we're down to the dregs of the bank account until PayDay,

which thankfully is this Friday! So how do you cheaply feed a kid that constantly needs filling? And he really does need a lot of food -

he's grown 1/4 of an inch in two weeks! And 8.5 inches in the last 3 years!

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 3

Missing brain: Yes. She even complains about it because it frustrates her even more than it frustrates me!

Food: Protein and healthy fats, you need both to grow new cells. And plenty of complex carbs for energy and fruit and veggies for vitamins. Or, learn to accept that a box of cereal can be gone in one or two sittings.

Relating to brainlessness: I skipped out on that perimenopause business in favor of a second puberty, but I've started wondering if I'm ADHD, so...ya.

Edited by Ravin
  • Like 2

Missing brain - thankfully we're between that stage right now.  :hurray: Although we do have a bit of summer slump going on.  I've got the kid that broke down sobbing when asked 3+5, but turned around and did an algebra problem with no issues.  Or refuses Harry Potter because "it's too hard" and the next day gets into a discussion comparing Ancient China, Fahrenheit 451, and our current political climate.   :huh: Yeah, I can't figure him out either.

My brain on the other hand........well, thankfully my children are forgiving. :lol:  The oldest gently reminded me I promised him a new bike a month ago.  Oops.  It'll be here next week.

Feeding kids - we have a growth spurt going on here, too!  Lots of staples!  Yogurt and oatmeal for breakfast, fruit on the counter, and a large bag of popcorn in the pantry.  I can make an afternoon snack for $.10. :thumbup:  Dinner last night was....wow.  The kid put away a large helping of rice w/peppers, a third of a plate of marinated veggies, and a large piece of chicken, then had seconds on all of it.  Then ice cream.  I really don't know where he put it all!

• Like 3

Brain fog. Yep, my Dd is just hitting this stage. She is only beginning to notice it, but it has been increasing steadily for the last 6 months or so.

Brain fog for me. not usually

Food! They both eat so much!  Growing like crazy. Plus the hormone/puberty thing for Dd and swim team for Ds. Both mine like rice and beans, so that is a go-to snack staple. I make a pot of beans or bean soup almost every week and a huge pot of rice. Snacks: fruit, hummus and veggies, whole milk yogurt, eggs, nuts, cheese, popcorn, tomatoes, cold "picnic" salads (potato, corn and bean, pasta), pickles, pb&j. Shopping at Aldi helps. Thankful to have an overflowing CSA box of veggies every week this time of year! 

• Like 1

Middle boy, the soon to be college sophmore, seems to be having a brain vacation today. I would LIKE to be on a brain vacation today, but alas, do not have the option.

I am currently roasting four huge - as in these things must have been from Looney Tunes Foghorn Leghorn - chicken breasts which I am going to shred. I will be turning them into three enchilada casseroles. One to eat tonight, one for us to eat on mini - vacation in Ohio, and one to eat the night befoRe the eclipse.

They like Mexican. If I load it with beans, rice, and cheese, it will fill their hollow bodies up!

• Like 2

We have experienced lots of brain vacations here. K, due to the illness and the medications, seems to be in a perpetual state of brain fog, including not being able to find their ohone, only to discover it in their pants pocket. Me, whenever I've forgotten to take thyroid meds. And this whole menopausal thing ... hot flashes not only make me irritable, but cause my brain to go out the window.

Mexican is often our go to for feeding hungry teens. We get ground chuck and ground turkey on sale at Costco and brown up a bunch of it. adding beans and rice make it go a lot further.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My challenge in buying canned and jarred food is that it often contains one, if not more, of these corn-based/derived ingredients: citric acid, dextrose, maltodextrin, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, or modified food starch. My body doesn't really like corn anymore so I do my best not to eat it, which means I read every label.

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 1

My challenge in buying canned and jarred food is that it often contains one, if not more, of these corn-based/derived ingredients: citric acid, dextorse, maltodextrin, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, or modified food starch. My body doesn't really like corn anymore so I do my best not to eat it, which means I read every label.

I think it may have had every single one of those. It was delicious, but the rice and chicken was the healthiest part to be sure.

• Like 1