Menu

already went and got it done.....thanks!

SparklyUnicorn

Are these ok places to get piercings done?  One of mine wants to get his ear's pierced and that's the only place I know of to go to.  I got mine done a zillion years ago at a department store (that no longer exists). 

Are there other places that do this?

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

We took my daughter to a piercing and tattoo shop that had a great reputation (check yelp reviews). Nickel allergies run in our family and she got titanium grade implant earrings and they have never bothered her. They were professional and clean and even (those mall places, I would never go to -- look up some articles on them).

• Like 1

I've never heard of anyone who had problems with one of those places, but I'd go to a well known one, like Piercing Pagoda. 

I have also heard doctors do it, but that's not something I've ever looked into. Because we have "a guy", who has been piercing for decades.

I didn't know doctors still do it. Way back when, I had to beg my mother to get mine pierced (it wasn't all that common in the late 60s as people were still wearing clip-ons). She finally agreed but made me get it done at the doctor's office (pediatrician - I was 13). Everyone I knew who had it done at a piercing place got cute gold balls they had to wear while the hole was healing. The doctor used some ugly plugs that to me at that age looked like Frankenstein plugs. However, all these years later I can say I've NEVER had a problem. I can go months without wearing earrings then put a pair in as though I've been wearing them all along. Never any irritation, never had the holes start to close up.

I'm sure the piercing places have improved since that time and would have no problem taking a daughter (if I had one) there to get hers pierced.

OT: Does anyone remember the self-piercing using a needle and a potato? :D  Do people still do that?

• Like 1

I took my 8 yo DD to a tat/piercing place and they were fantastic. Clean, professional, double checked placements with me, talked her through the whole thing, let her take a few minutes between ears, and then after when she went pale and dizzy, etc. The whole process probably took 30-45 minutes. We never would have had that kind of treatment at Claire's.

My only little caveat was that some of the artwork on the walls was a bit . . . mature for my very observant DD 😄. Nothing really terrible, but not exactly stuff she sees everyday.

I took my 8 yo DD to a tat/piercing place and they were fantastic. Clean, professional, double checked placements with me, talked her through the whole thing, let her take a few minutes between ears, and then after when she went pale and dizzy, etc. The whole process probably took 30-45 minutes. We never would have had that kind of treatment at Claire's.

My only little caveat was that some of the artwork on the walls was a bit . . . mature for my very observant DD 😄. Nothing really terrible, but not exactly stuff she sees everyday.

I agree with this as well. You can lay down, there's no line in my experience so no time pressure, and most of all they take great pride in, and are very good at what they do.

My DD got her ears pierced 6 weeks ago at Claires and it was an awesome experience. They used two girls so she could have it done on both sides at the same time and were kind and gentle. They let us record the entire event even :) She has not had a single issue with them and is able to change them out next week.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

I've never heard of anyone who had problems with one of those places, but I'd go to a well known one, like Piercing Pagoda. 

I didn't know doctors still do it. Way back when, I had to beg my mother to get mine pierced (it wasn't all that common in the late 60s as people were still wearing clip-ons). She finally agreed but made me get it done at the doctor's office (pediatrician - I was 13). Everyone I knew who had it done at a piercing place got cute gold balls they had to wear while the hole was healing. The doctor used some ugly plugs that to me at that age looked like Frankenstein plugs. However, all these years later I can say I've NEVER had a problem. I can go months without wearing earrings then put a pair in as though I've been wearing them all along. Never any irritation, never had the holes start to close up.

I'm sure the piercing places have improved since that time and would have no problem taking a daughter (if I had one) there to get hers pierced.

OT: Does anyone remember the self-piercing using a needle and a potato? :D  Do people still do that?

I pierced a friend's nose with a needle in the back seat of her car. No potato involved. 

• Like 3