Menu

Help plan our trip to Germany, Prague, and Poland - please!

jjeepa

It looks like we will be traveling to all three locations this fall.  Please share any favorite sites to see, places to stay, and restaurants to visit.  Also, any other travel tips for those locations would be appreciated too.  I'm always a fan of hearing about the best way to do things and what to avoid, especially as a tourist.  I'll be traveling with my dh and dd. Thanks!

Wawel Castle in Krakow will be more enjoyable if you've read up on the people whose monuments/burial places are located there.

Also read the Trumpeter of Krakow.

Malbork Castle is definitely going to be a better experience if you go on an English speaking tour...

If you will be in Munich arrange for a tour of the BMW plant; make reservations ahead of time for an English speaking tour.  There is also a BMW museum that you can visit without prior reservations.   Other tour possibilities are Erdinger Brewery (a bit out of central Munich), Allianz Soccer Stadium, and Bavarian Filmstadt.  All may require reservations in advance to get an English speaking tour.  Also, you can visit Dachau Concentration Camp using public transportation from Munich; a film is shown in English a couple of times a day that you may want to schedule around.     My family always likes to eat at the Augistener-Keller Beer Garden.

• Like 1

We did Prague, Germany, and Austria last fall. Prague was definitely our favorite. We did several of the free or inexpensive walking tours. It's just such a beautiful city to walk around. We also took a fernicular up to the observatory area and walked around the gardens. In Germany, we visited our son in western Germany and spent a day with him at the big VW facility in Wolfsburg. We spent five days in Berlin and then several days in Munich. We did city bike tours in both Berlin and Munich which were wonderful and included lunch in beer gardens in the big park in each city. We took public transportation to Dachau from Munich and to a Stasi prison camp in Berlin. We did English tours and films at both places. In Berlin we visited a museum in an old train station where people passed back and forth between East and West. I used Trip Advisor to plan everything. I'll try to find the link to our cute Prague apartment. It was perfect for three and the host was amazing. When we arrived she offered us free drinks and gave us an overview of the city and attractions complete with maps. She even did our laundry for us for free and the optional onsite breakfast was very inexpensive and quite good.

Edited to add Aparthotel City 5 in Prague. Kristina the host is wonderful. It's one of the top ranked hotels on Trip Advisor, but very reasonably priced.

And I forgo to add that the train trip from Berlin to Prague is wonderful. Beautiful scenery and great, relatively inexpensive food, especially the happy hour prices.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

We spent an 18 hour layover walking all over Prague, and it was one of my favorite places I've ever been!  Would love to go back and spend a few days there.  

We saw Prague Castle, St Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock, and there was a craft fair type event going on in Old Town Square.  So mnay great little cafes and shops to explore also!!!   Cannot say enough about how amazing Prague is!

My sister loves Hamburg in Germany.  

• Like 1

Wawel Castle in Krakow will be more enjoyable if you've read up on the people whose monuments/burial places are located there.

Also read the Trumpeter of Krakow.

Malbork Castle is definitely going to be a better experience if you go on an English speaking tour...

Just ordered the Trumpeter of Krakow and it looks great!

Both castles are going on our list.  Thanks!

If you will be in Munich arrange for a tour of the BMW plant; make reservations ahead of time for an English speaking tour.  There is also a BMW museum that you can visit without prior reservations.   Other tour possibilities are Erdinger Brewery (a bit out of central Munich), Allianz Soccer Stadium, and Bavarian Filmstadt.  All may require reservations in advance to get an English speaking tour.  Also, you can visit Dachau Concentration Camp using public transportation from Munich; a film is shown in English a couple of times a day that you may want to schedule around.     My family always likes to eat at the Augistener-Keller Beer Garden.

Thanks!  I'll check it all out.

We did Prague, Germany, and Austria last fall. Prague was definitely our favorite. We did several of the free or inexpensive walking tours. It's just such a beautiful city to walk around. We also took a fernicular up to the observatory area and walked around the gardens. In Germany, we visited our son in western Germany and spent a day with him at the big VW facility in Wolfsburg. We spent five days in Berlin and then several days in Munich. We did city bike tours in both Berlin and Munich which were wonderful and included lunch in beer gardens in the big park in each city. We took public transportation to Dachau from Munich and to a Stasi prison camp in Berlin. We did English tours and films at both places. In Berlin we visited a museum in an old train station where people passed back and forth between East and West. I used Trip Advisor to plan everything. I'll try to find the link to our cute Prague apartment. It was perfect for three and the host was amazing. When we arrived she offered us free drinks and gave us an overview of the city and attractions complete with maps. She even did our laundry for us for free and the optional onsite breakfast was very inexpensive and quite good.

Edited to add Aparthotel City 5 in Prague. Kristina the host is wonderful. It's one of the top ranked hotels on Trip Advisor, but very reasonably priced.

And I forgo to add that the train trip from Berlin to Prague is wonderful. Beautiful scenery and great, relatively inexpensive food, especially the happy hour prices.

Prague is my dh's favorite place in Europe, but I've never been.  Really looking forward to it!  I love the idea of bike tours.  Hadn't thought of that.  I'd love to get the name of your place in Prague too.  Thanks for all this info!

We spent an 18 hour layover walking all over Prague, and it was one of my favorite places I've ever been!  Would love to go back and spend a few days there.  

We saw Prague Castle, St Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock, and there was a craft fair type event going on in Old Town Square.  So mnay great little cafes and shops to explore also!!!   Cannot say enough about how amazing Prague is!

My sister loves Hamburg in Germany.  

Thanks!  I'll look into all those places in Prague.  Sounds wonderful!

Here are some suggestions:

1936 Olympic stadium in Berlin. No reservations needed and about 8 euros to get in. Try the banana juice in Germany.

A nice hotel in Prague is called the Prague NH Hotel.

St. Nicolas Church was beautiful in Prague.

Edited by Fifiruth

Give Prague half the vacation, you won't regret it.  

For Germany, hands-down Rothenburg ob der Tauber is the best choice.  It is a medieval town that fell into poverty when defensive walls stopped being The thing, and was also not really bombed.  Plus, being Bavarian it isn't far.  It has a museum in my top 10 list.   It used to be called the torture museum, I think it is called the Criminal Justice museum now.   

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 1

I will be a dissenter; we were excited about going to Prague several years ago and were terribly disappointed.  It has been one of our least favorite places to visit in Europe.  We found it very commercial and more expensive than we thought it would be.  It did not have as much character and culture as we were expecting.  DH and son did do a nuclear bunker tour that they said was very good and interesting; it was expensive, but they were glad they did it.  

• Like 1