Menu

What should we do in Niagara Falls (US side)

Terabith

I don't have passports for the kids, so going to Canada is out. We will be there July 3... going to a wedding nearby and thought we'd take the opportunity to see it. Suggestions? Kids are 12 and 13, so I'm not worried about anyone falling in. My husband is afraid of heights. Not sure how that will play out there, but he's more like "I'll skip the Ferris wheel," not usually cripplingly phobic.

When we went 2 years ago, kids under 16 only needed a birth certificate to enter Canada by car or foot. Our kids loved saying they had visited another country, lol. We bought a combo ticket that covered the main attractions like the boat ride, movie,etc.

Your kids will enjoy it all.

• Like 1

Post #3 in this thread details out what we like on both sides:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/549171-niagara-falls/

I think the pp is correct that as long as the adults have passports (or enhanced licenses) and the kids have their birth certificates, you can still cross.  You might want to google to double check, but I don't recall hearing that's been changed.

FWIW, if you only have one side, we prefer the American side (just not for overnight or dining).  You get closer to the falls (both sets) on that side, plus from Goat Island, you're in the middle of the river and that's really neat to see as the fury builds.

Goat Island had a really pleasant restaurant. Maid of the Mist, of course. Lots of the "attractions" are pretty cheesy. If you drive up a bit, there's a museum that shows how the generator system works. There are some forts and things. Come back in the evening for the fireworks. :)

Good news - the Ferris wheel is on the Canadian side. The museum OhElizabeth talks about is the Niagara Power Authority and it's free and pretty neat, including a moving movie that's a few minutes long (my kids went 3 times in one day) - just make sure you plug in the parking lot, or you might miss it and have to take quite a detour (BTDT, though on the bright side we did discover a little state park called Devil's Hole, which you can hike down and see the power plant from the bottom). Speaking of hiking, no idea which direction you're coming from, but in Orchard Park there's an Eternal Flame behind a little waterfall that you can hike to. Both these hikes are an hour or less. And if you're into forts, there's Fort Niagara to the north of Niagara Falls.

I don't think the fireworks were really worth driving back for at night, but ymmv.

• Like 1

We were just on the Canadian side a week ago, and one of the things I really enjoyed was a walk along the rapids, right by the Niagara River. It was simply amazing to me. I enjoyed it as much, if not more, than the boat into the falls. I think there might be something like that on the American side, too.

And yes, my younger son (14) was able to get in and out of Canada with his birth certificate.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1