Menu

Costco employment

Night Elf

Is there anything I should know before ds applies to Costco? Ds is currently working at Kroger grocery store as an overnight stocker. He's been there 8 months and doesn't like the new manager. He's seen several new employees come in and not last long. He's thinking of finding a new job and he was told that Costco pays a whole lot more. I don't know if they have overnight stocking but that's his preference. Should he call and ask about job particulars such as salary and hours or apply first and ask during the interview?

Costco is always on the list of great companies to work for, and they seem to keep employees a long time. I know one guy has been at Costco since my 13 year old was a baby. It's a bit difficult to get people on the phone there. I would do as much in person as possible. I know I've read news articles about their pay (liveable wages!) and banefits, so you might be able to find some of that via google and not have to ask.

Good luck! It seems like it would be a great place to work.

• Like 1

I would have him research Costco online first and see how/if they post jobs by geographic area. Try looking under the "jobs" or "employment" links on their home page - it is likely at the bottom.

Their pay and benefits are probably set at the upper management level, so calling to ask a store employee probably is not a good idea because you may get, "I don't know how all of it works. I know what I make." But, they will feel uncomfortable stating that on the phone to a stranger.

Have DS visit Costco and perhaps he can casually see a worker and ask, "What's it like to work here?"

I would go to their website and look their for employment info. online they should have what jobs are available at each warehouse.   I'd looked into it in the past.

so many larger places are doing online applications now days.

costco generally treats their employees well, and is fair.  you might get a bad manager in a store - but it will be the store, not the company.

eta: in the past when I had looked into it - jobs were posted according to individual warehouse, you'd have to put in which warehouse you're interested in - then could see what jobs they had available.

Edited by gardenmom5

They have job titles online an application online. It specifically says the title doesn't mean there are job openings. He'll just have to apply and see what happens. When I suggested calling the store I meant to speak to a hiring manager. The store closes at 8:00pm so we're not sure if their stocking normally happens after store hours. Right now he's working midnight to 7:00am and really likes those hours. He's always been a night owl so it's just worked out well for him.

A few of my neighbours work at Costco as we are very close to it. They've been there for years and seem to really like it. My ds just applied, but he's too young as here they only hire 18 year olds and older. We spoke to current staff and managers, and they suggested dropping off a resume at the store as well as applying on-line. The advantage to applying on-line is that you have access to jobs at other locations if you have more than one in your area.

I have heard that Costco employees like working there.  It's a target company for people who work in the fields in which Costco hires, at least from what I hear-tell.