Menu

Kids' books whose characters are 3rd graders

Some of the Judy Moody books (I think the first ones?) have her in 3rd grade. And then some of the later Stink books (Judy's brother) have him in 3rd grade, I'm pretty sure.

The Jake Drake books are definitely mostly in 3rd grade. Not sure if some of them he gets older...

I think the first Hank Zipper book has him in 3rd grade.

Some of the Lemonade War books have the younger sister in 3rd grade (there are two protagonists - one older and one younger in that series).

Some of the Lemonade War books have the younger sister in 3rd grade (there are two protagonists - one older and one younger in that series).

In the Lemoade War series by Jacqueline Davies, both kids are in the same grade (4th). That is part of the boys' issue. That his YOUNGER sister is in the same grade as him. She skipped 3rd grade.

• Like 1

Some of the books by Carolyn Haywood have girl characters about that age. (The Betsy books, etc.)  I think one of them in particular is about Betsy going into third grade  (Back to School with Betsy):

https://www.amazon.com/School-Betsy-Odyssey-Harcourt-Classic/dp/0152051015/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AJZ70WWQX75NHNFV7PXZ

They're pretty cute books, written in the 1940's.  I don't know if you're looking for more modern books or not, but my girls loved these.

Another favorite of ours by Carolyn Haywood is Primrose Days, but the character might be a year younger, at least at the beginning.  It's about a young English girl who is sent to the U.S. to live with relatives during WW2.

https://www.amazon.com/Primrose-Odyssey-Harcourt-Young-Classic/dp/0152052291

Edited by J-rap

In the Lemoade War series by Jacqueline Davies, both kids are in the same grade (4th). That is part of the boys' issue. That his YOUNGER sister is in the same grade as him. She skipped 3rd grade.

They're in the same classroom, and she did skip a grade, but I don't think they're in the same grade. I think that it's a small school, and so they doubled up the classes.

They're in the same classroom, and she did skip a grade, but I don't think they're in the same grade. I think that it's a small school, and so they doubled up the classes.

It is the summer after 2nd and 3rd and a letter comes saying the sister is skipping a grade to 4th for the upcoming school year and it is upsetting to the brother that his younger sister will be in 4th grade with him and gets to skip 3rd grade. He thinks it will be obvious to the other kids she is smarter then him. The whole lemonade competition came about because of this. The brother no longer wants to sell lemonade with her and was ignoring her which she does not understand so they started a competition.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1