Menu

Pedicures and warts

Harriet Vane

why don't you work on getting rid of the warts and then treat her to a "real" pedi when they're gone. 

or read up on how to do a pedi at home.  (it's not that much.  apple cider vinegar makes a fabulous foot soak before starting.  dead skin will start peeling and can easily be sanded off leaving smooth skin behind.)

warts are caused by a virus - they can spread.  they can even spread to other people, so no - do not try to hide them with duct tape or anything else when taking her for a pedi.   it would require the aesthetician to have  to sterilize all of her equipment before she can give another client a pedi - or risk passing on the warts to another client.

• Like 4

why don't you work on getting rid of the warts and then treat her to a "real" pedi when they're gone. 

or read up on how to do a pedi at home.  (it's not that much.  apple cider vinegar makes a fabulous foot soak before starting.  dead skin will start peeling and can easily be sanded off leaving smooth skin behind.)

warts are caused by a virus - they can spread.  they can even spread to other people, so no - do not try to hide them with duct tape or anything else when taking her for a pedi.   it would require the aesthetician to have  to sterilize all of her equipment before she can give another client a pedi - or risk passing on the warts to another client.

I agree but have a question re: the bolded.  

Aren't they supposed to sterilize the equipment in between clients anyway?  Because, how can you ever know for sure that someone doesn't have something that can spread?

I've never had a pedicure - can't stand anyone touching my feet - so this is just a curiosity question.  I still think anyone who knows they have a wart or athlete's foot or whatever should not get one. 

• Like 3

I agree but have a question re: the bolded.  

Aren't they supposed to sterilize the equipment in between clients anyway?  Because, how can you ever know for sure that someone doesn't have something that can spread?

I've never had a pedicure - can't stand anyone touching my feet - so this is just a curiosity question.  I still think anyone who knows they have a wart or athlete's foot or whatever should not get one. 

they are supposed to sterilize everything . . . .  .

I had a professional pedi last summer.  

giving each other pedis/mani can be a fun girls night activity.  

just like anyone with an infection on their scalp isn't supposed to have their hair done in a salon.  (reputable ones will turn you away if they see it,)

• Like 1

The equipment will be sanitized, not necessarily sterilized.

Get the warts clear before getting the pedicure.

When I worked in salons, I was expected, possibly required by law, to refuse to work on clients with possible things like warts, rashes, lice, etc. I wasn't technically allowed to make any diagnosis, but I could say "This looks like blahblah. Since I can't be certain, I can't provide this service today. Please have it checked out and reschedule as soon as it's clear or a doctor confirms that it isn't contagious."

Editing to add a portion of the law... Sanitation/Disinfection

As sterilization is not required of tools and instruments used in cosmetology salons or schools or cosmetician or manicuring salons, references to sterilization have been removed. Section 7.1 (relating to definitions) contains definitions for ''cleanse,'' ''disinfect'' and ''EPA registered disinfectant.''

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 2

Thanks, folks.

Just wanted to double check.

This is a group thing with her grandma and cousins. It's a special time and she cannot wait until warts are gone, otherwise she wouldn't consider going. 

She requested a manicure instead of the pedi. She will cover the wart with a bandaid and ask for polish only on her toes so they match her nails.

• Like 2

Thanks, folks.

Just wanted to double check.

This is a group thing with her grandma and cousins. It's a special time and she cannot wait until warts are gone, otherwise she wouldn't consider going. 

She requested a manicure instead of the pedi. She will cover the wart with a bandaid and ask for polish only on her toes so they match her nails.

how about you do a pedi at home so her feet are nice and pretty for her toe polish?  then her feet will be pretty like her grandma and cousins.

• Like 1

I would guess that half the population has a wart or two on the bottom of their foot!  And they should sterilize everything and change the water between each customer anyway.  I have a couple planters warts on the bottom of my feet that I've had for 20 years.  I still get pedicures and have asked them about it and they always treat it like it's no big deal at all.

• Like 1

Maybe this is just me but I wouldn't even ask them to polish my toes if I had warts. Sorry, I know what a pain warts are - and I hope your dd is able to get rid of them soon.

I don't see why that would be a big deal?

The warts are on the bottom of her foot, not near the nails. They would be covered. The wart would not touch any of their set-up, because there would be a bandaid on them. It's a tiny cluster, and they are teeny-tiny. Easy to cover. 

If the warts are covered totally with a bandaid and you do not touch them, and the polish brush does not touch them, there is no contagion. Simply painting the nail polish on nowhere near any of the warts will not infect anyone. 

• Like 1

Still let them k ow ahead of time about the warts. They may be able to accommodate her but use plastic covers in the pedicure footrest or whatever they use.

Of course we would be honest about this. It's not like you can hide something like warts from someone who is handling your feet.

Dd will cover them with a bandaid and just get polish on her nails to match her hands.

They can elect to do only the manicure, of course. 

• Like 1

Heel? Ball? Side?

Does it matter? Feels a little like splitting hairs here. They are on the ball of her foot. They are tiny and easily covered. Definitely underneath, on the bottom. Nowhere near the nails. They will be covered with a bandaid. She will not be soaking her feet in a tub and the actual warts will not touch anything. Brushing polish on the toenails does not require the aesthetician to handle the area with warts. And if the aesthetician prefers not to do so, then she won't.

Edited by Harriet Vane