Menu

Gift ideas for new big brother and big sister

Lady Florida.

My niece has 9 yo twins (boy and girl) and just had a baby. Obviously twins are used to sharing attention, but I think having a baby brother come along at their age will be a bit of a shock even though they're both excited. I was thinking of bringing a small gift for each of them when we go to meet the baby. Any ideas appreciated.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I try to do this because I think it is helpful for the older siblings.

Do they have any special interests? Do they like to read?

We typically sew hooded towels for babies (because it is easy, cheap, and so very useful). For families with older kids, sometimes we do a theme to include the older kids as well. For a family who *loves* Star Wars, we sewed Ewok towels for all the kids. Different colors for each child (their favorite color at the time) so they were personalized. Probably not the most exciting present for older kids, but the family loved them and they still are in service now that the baby is almost 4. 

• Like 1

My son was ten when his twin brothers were born. I think he appreciated being recognized - it's definitely the thought that counts in this situation. I might give them things to do. Depending on the kid - books, art supplies, some kind of kit to build, or even movies.

• Like 1

I love the ewok towel idea, but I can't sew. :)

We go with things to do, too. When middle DS was born, we gave our older son books and Lego kits. He was 12. When DD was born, middle DS was 7, and he received Lego kits.

For gifts for other families, I'd go with the kids' interests.

It's really special, though, to bring them a gift, and I could see that it meant a lot to middle DS. He was thrilled even when someone clearly thought of it as a last minute, second thought on the way, and picked up a Frosty from Wendy's. I think he felt included.

• Like 1

I love the ewok towel idea, but I can't sew. :)

We go with things to do, too. When middle DS was born, we gave our older son books and Lego kits. He was 12. When DD was born, middle DS was 7, and he received Lego kits.

For gifts for other families, I'd go with the kids' interests.

It's really special, though, to bring them a gift, and I could see that it meant a lot to middle DS. He was thrilled even when someone clearly thought of it as a last minute, second thought on the way, and picked up a Frosty from Wendy's. I think he felt included.

Shoot, my kids would think that was an awesome gift!

• Like 2

You could get them a shirt. I have a boy (older) and a girl. He has a shirt "best bro" and she has a shirt "best little sis."

https://www.childrensplace.com/shop/SearchDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&searchSource=Q&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&pageView=image&custSrch=search&searchTerm=Sis&TCPSearchSubmit=

http://www.childrensplace.com/shop/us/p/Boys-Short-Sleeve--Brother-Of-The-Year--Graphic-Tee-2084486-BH

I can't find the specific shirts we have. Maybe they aren't selling them anymore.

Ugh the size options aren't great. Maybe you can find something on another site.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2