Menu

what should I do? I need some advice

ProudGrandma

I had 2 identical sets of curriculum (Notgrass High School Government) which consisted of 2 textbooks, and 3 smaller workbooks.  I sold them at the same time to 2 different people and I remember boxing them up and mailing them out at the same time.  I remember the boxes weighing the exact same and the shipping was the same.  Anyway, I got a message from one of the ladies just now claiming that only one of the textbooks was in the box and nothing else...and she asked me what happened.  I KNOW I mailed the whole set of books.  But I can't prove it.  The set sold for $30

So, now what do I do?

I'd give her the money back.  Sucks, but what can ya do?

I kind of agree, only because in the end, you're going to be on the hook for proving you actually shipped all the books, which it's almost impossible to do, and if you went through Paypal, they'll probably rule in the buyer's favor anyhow. It's one of the pitfalls of selling, and it totally stinks, but IME, it's pretty rare. Which doesn't mean it hurts any less to be out the purchase price AND the shipping. I just think that's going to be the end result anyway.

With all the stuff I've sold online, I've only ever had it happen to me one time, thankfully. Though I'm about to start culling and selling our elementary materials ( :crying:), so odds are that I have a few more instances of this in my future too *sigh*

I'm really sorry your sale went bad  :grouphug: It's so frustrating.

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

Ask if there appeared to be any damage to the box?  Perhaps it got torn in transit and then taped up and sent on its way without all of the contents.  

Or, perhaps the buyer is mixing you up with the seller of something else they bought?

Just trying to think of scenarios.

• Like 3

Isn't USPS allowed to open Media mail to check that it qualifies?

I'd assume it didn't all get back in the box and pursue it with USPS.

I have seen multiple people mention this has happened to them. The box was opened and searched and not everything made it back in the box. Unfortunately I have also heard that the USPS does not claim responsibility for it. I saw a picture of a box delivered empty and USPS refused to pay for the contents that they did not deliver because there was no insurance. It's kind of crazy.

I used to sell a lot of books, some personal and some consignment. My rule was that I paid up if someone said something didn't show up or was missing, because that's what I expect as a buyer - if I say I didn't get it, I'm going to be pretty peeved if you insist that I did, or say "oh, well." 

It didn't happen very often. The only ways to diminish the risk even further is with an investment of time and/or money. Time-wise, you can do stuff like take pics of the packed but not closed box, and email it with a note: this is headed your way today! You send it with the tracking number and weight. Most scammers and careless people are much less likely to attempt something if you do this stuff. Money-wise, you can pay for insurance and/or signature on delivery. 

The seller takes most of the risk, that's just the way it is. 

• Like 4

Ask if there appeared to be any damage to the box? Perhaps it got torn in transit and then taped up and sent on its way without all of the contents.

Or, perhaps the buyer is mixing you up with the seller of something else they bought?

Just trying to think of scenarios.

I would ask this as well. You know you sent the correct items, but before you assume the woman is pulling a fast one, I would give her a chance to explain.

One thing first, though -- if she paid you through PayPal, call PayPal and explain what happened and ask what documentation you need to prove you're not at fault. You can prove that you mailed the item, as well as how much you paid for the postage, which would indicate the weight of the package.

• Like 1

I used to sell a lot of books, some personal and some consignment. My rule was that I paid up if someone said something didn't show up or was missing, because that's what I expect as a buyer - if I say I didn't get it, I'm going to be pretty peeved if you insist that I did, or say "oh, well." 

It didn't happen very often. The only ways to diminish the risk even further is with an investment of time and/or money. Time-wise, you can do stuff like take pics of the packed but not closed box, and email it with a note: this is headed your way today! You send it with the tracking number and weight. Most scammers and careless people are much less likely to attempt something if you do this stuff. Money-wise, you can pay for insurance and/or signature on delivery. 

The seller takes most of the risk, that's just the way it is. 

This is fantastic advice, thanks!