Menu

Are you what I call a magic chef?

Night Elf

So leave out the tomato sauce and flavor the rice with something else that you do like. Easy!

Bill

The whole point of this post is that she doesn't find it easy. If you find it so easy, go to her house and cook for her - or at least, offer a few practical suggestions here!

Edit: And to answer the question - I usually do improvise quite a bit in recipes! But it's okay to use recipes if you prefer. We all have different comfort levels, and I'm sure every one of us hews strictly to the recipe when we're making our first recipe in a new cuisine we've never cooked from before.

Those grandmothers who "never used a recipe in their lives" probably had a more limited repertoire than the ones who made it their goal to never repeat a meal!

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2

How can you bake without measuring anything or following a recipe? A substitution is one thing, but just throwing things together won't make a cake rise.

In-depth knowledge of the chemistry involved, and of typical ratios and their various effects. I don't quite have this knowledge, to where I could fly completely blind on baking, but I have a kind of "know it when I see it" knowledge - I can tell whether a baking recipe is basically sound, can usually anticipate what the texture will be, and sometimes swap out ingredients or methods in order to alter it without having to check a substitutes reference. After twenty years, I'm probably about halfway to bake a good cake without a recipe level. But since so many baked goods isn't healthy in a small family, I probably won't have enough experience to ever get there.

• Like 1

, but I have a kind of "know it when I see it" knowledge -

Not baking, but in cooking that's how I do seasonings. I literally can see if the amount is right. As I said upthread, I learned that from my mother. Once she was trying to tell a friend how to make her spaghetti sauce and when she got to the spices she said things like, "You sprinkle in some dried oregano until, well, until it looks like enough." :D

• Like 1

Yes, I cook thst way a lot.  It came over years of practice, though, and reading about cooking, different kinds of cuisine, and so on.

I use recipes when I'm feeling less creative or want inspiration, when it includes a new technique, or sometimes for recipes meant to feed a crowd where I'm likely to mis-estimate amounts.  Or, if it's a sort of "family classic" and won't meet with approval if it doesn't taste right.

• Like 1