Menu

Help us with DH's resume

DawnM

My husband has an excellent resume thanks to help from this board in the past.

He is updating it right now and we are running into a question.

He has a section that says: 

Key Accomplishments

And then it lists/bullet points his accomplishments.  Some are ongoing and some he has done in the past.  

Shouldn't they all be in the same verb tense?  Right now he lists past accomplishments (they vary in years and cover a span of 11 years, including this year)  listed in past tense and then he has his ongoing accomplishments in present tense.

It looks choppy to me.

Shouldn't they all be in present tense since he WOULD do them again if the opportunity arose?

For example:

Past accomplishment:

• Lead seminar on International Tax Records for 2016 IES tax code changes

and then ongoing accomplishment:

• Adjust prior corporate tax files based according to new tax code compliance review

(his doesn't actually say those exact words, I dont' have it in front of me at present, but it was something along these lines, I don't even know what he really does.....hahaha!)

Shouldn't they both be in the same verb tense?

How would you word it verb tense wise?

Thanks,

Dawn

• Like 1

I would Upload it to Monster.com and take advantage of their Free Resume critique service. When I did that, I found some of the comments extremely interesting and helpful.  I knew when I did that  they would then try to get me to pay for the Premium service, but I just ignored those emails.  Also, they show how the Resume Scanning software that is used by HR people and Headhunters sees a resume, when they scan it. Very interesting IMO...

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 2

It's typical to use two different tenses to distinguish between past and ongoing tasks. (FYI in case he uses it on the resume, the past tense of lead is led, not lead.)

Thanks.  That was my wording, typing fast.  I don't think that is on his resume.

Would you maybe organize this as

Past Accomplishments

Current Responsibilities

?

In that case, you would use past tense for past accomplishments, and the 'ing' form for current responsibilities (I don't recall what tense that is--maybe present perfect?)  In your examples that would be 'adjusting prior corporate tax files...'

Are these accomplishments for different past jobs?  I would list activities associated with past jobs under those jobs and activities with the present job (or position) under the present one  This would separate the past and present tenses

Are these accomplishments for different past jobs?  I would list activities associated with past jobs under those jobs and activities with the present job (or position) under the present one  This would separate the past and present tenses

No, all part of the same job he has had for 11 years.  It is just different responsibilities within that job.

For example, he organized a huge fund raiser for a golf tournament in the area and represented his company at the golf tournament.  He did that for 3 years.  That would be in this job, and he may do it again if the opportunity arises, but it isn't an ongoing responsibility.

He might lead seminars again, but it isn't part of his general duties.

Would you maybe organize this as

Past Accomplishments

Current Responsibilities

?

In that case, you would use past tense for past accomplishments, and the 'ing' form for current responsibilities (I don't recall what tense that is--maybe present perfect?)  In your examples that would be 'adjusting prior corporate tax files...'

I thought of that, but it all fits under the "accomplishments" area.  For example, he has an ongoing responsibility that is also a huge accomplishment, so I wouldn't want to separate that.  

And he has some yearly responsibilities with their yearly training, where he presents, and has feedback.  One year they received an award for their presentation.  He wants to include that, but it is an ongoing/yearly responsibility.

I don't know, my resume isn't a business resume......so I am just not as familiar.  Mine is educational.

• Like 1

Past accomplishment:

• Lead seminar on International Tax Records for 2016 IES tax code changes

and then ongoing accomplishment:

• Adjust prior corporate tax files based according to new tax code compliance review

Unless he is applying for a copy-editing position, I would not worry about verb tenses too much.  However, I might change the accomplishments to focus not as much on the work that he did, but the impact it had on the company, and the scope.

e.g.

Led company-wide (or 200 person, or all-clients, or ..?) seminar, teaching 2016 tax code changes, resulting in no IRS audits (or as a result ... something wonderful happened)

I would find a way to make accomplishments happening in the now super clear.

You might write:

Current: (and then list current accomplishments).

I think employers want to know whether you did something five years ago versus doing something right now.

I thought of that, but it all fits under the "accomplishments" area.  For example, he has an ongoing responsibility that is also a huge accomplishment, so I wouldn't want to separate that.  

And he has some yearly responsibilities with their yearly training, where he presents, and has feedback.  One year they received an award for their presentation.  He wants to include that, but it is an ongoing/yearly responsibility.

I don't know, my resume isn't a business resume......so I am just not as familiar.  Mine is educational.

I would consider a responsibility and an accomplishment as two separate categories.  An accomplishment has already occurred.  Responsibilities can either be past responsibilities or current responsibilities (but just because someone has a responsibility does not mean that they accomplish anything)

A section for awards and accomplishments could be warranted and then under jobs list responsibilities for those jobs.  One option would be

JOB XYZ  responsibilities have included

*designing marketing plan which led to a 15% increase in sales (2014)

*developing quality control system that reduced waste by 18% (2015-2016)

* leading annual reviews of 50 employees (2014-current)

• Like 1

Current responsibilities/duties should be in present tense. Accomplishments should be in past tense. They've been accomplished.

I'd break up the sections to reflect the difference between tasks and accomplishments (giving more weight to the achievements as those are the differentiators--the things that will make him stand out).