Menu

Portland or Seattle?

Heather in OK

Seattle.  I find it more interesting and there is more to do.  (Don't shoot me Portland peeps, I love Portland, but if I had to pick only one......)

I lived in Seattle for 4 years, and made many trips down to Portland as that is where my grandparents (dad's side) and two uncles and their families lived.  

• Like 2

I feel Seattle has more to do. I am from both places and while I love Portland you will use up all 2 days in traffic alone. Although nothing beats their bookstore! There is just so much to do in Seattle and the surrounding area that you would have alot of fun :)

• Like 1

Seattle....and Pike Place Chowder, The Crab Pot, Beecher's, Le Panier, and Fran's Chocolates should be on your radar for when you go downtown. The Crab Pot is convenient to the Seattle Great Wheel.  

We also enjoyed the Locks---watching the ships come in was a blast for my kids.  Nearby, we enjoyed Hot Cakes (a bakery/sweet shop) and Dandelion Botanical (I'm a herbalist).

• Like 1

If it's just you and hubby----are you outdoorsy people or inside people? 

Inside: Chilhuly Gardens & Glass or Museum of Flight

Outdoor: take the ferry to Bainbridge Island for lunch, or day trip on the ferry to the San Juan Islands.  Alki beach did not impress us---scenic view was nice, but it's a big rocky cold beach full of seaweed.  You don't actually want to approach the water, iykwim, and parking is difficult.

• Like 1

Seattle:

Pike Place Market

Take a Ferry over to Camp Casey and walk around.  My kids loved it when they were younger.

Or Take a Ferry to Paulsbo and walk around/shop/eat

Space Needle and Seattle Center if you like that sort of stuff

Seattle Underground Tour is one of my favorites 

Aquarium is down near Pike Place and fun

Go to the Locks and walk around

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

If it's just you and hubby----are you outdoorsy people or inside people? 

Inside: Chilhuly Gardens & Glass or Museum of Flight

Outdoor: take the ferry to Bainbridge Island for lunch, or day trip on the ferry to the San Juan Islands.  Alki beach did not impress us---scenic view was nice, but it's a big rocky cold beach full of seaweed.  You don't actually want to approach the water, iykwim, and parking is difficult.

Yes.  LOL!  The first part of our trip will probably be a cabin near the coast a couple hours from Portland for a couple days.  We're trying to decide if we want to go into the city for the remainder of our stay and do stuff or take a train up to Seattle for that time and do stuff.  So those first few days we'll probably be doing some hiking, walking the beach, etc.  What we do in Seattle would depend on what there is to choose from in the time we have before heading home.

Well, if you want to do more outdoors than the coast, AND choose Portland, you could spend one day in the Columbia River Gorge, hiking to Multnomah Falls, Triple Falls, Horsetail Falls.  It's a beautiful drive and fun to periodically stop and hike a few minutes/hours depending on the trail.  

• Like 2

seattle -more to do. I've been to portland many times as I've a friend who lives there.

if you do the museum of flight (free parking.) -south seattle by boeing field - I'd  recommend the boeing factory tour aka; the future of light - in everett next to paine field.

for good seafood - I'd recommend ray's boathouse, or salty's at alki.  (NOT the space needle.)

• Like 1