Menu

Phonics/ Learning to read suggestions

Allison TX

I am looking for a phonics program for my 4 and half year old ds. 

We tried MFW K for several weeks, and didn't care for it.  I loved the Bible lessons, but the math was too easy, the handwriting was too hard, and the phonics instruction wasn't a good fit. So we put it away for a while.

Then we tried The Reading Lesson.  I had great success teaching my daughter with that book so I thought it might work.  He's doing well with it, but he dreads it.  His favorite pages are when he gets to circle things or draw lines to connect things.  So I'm thinking he needs something more interactive- not manipulative based, but workbook based. 

Is there anything workbook based that doesn't have a ton of writing?  Maybe Explode the Code?  I'm open to any suggestions!  He's definitely ready to read, but I want it to be fun for him. :)

We did Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons. He didn't do the writing exercises in the book. I got a cheap tray and lowercase plastic letters. I drew the long arrow on the tray and we practiced the work that way for a while, eventually moving to the printed words in the book. When he was ready to write almost a year later we did our own order of introduction (grouping letters by strokes).

We did Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons. He didn't do the writing exercises in the book. I got a cheap tray and lowercase plastic letters. I drew the long arrow on the tray and we practiced the work that way for a while, eventually moving to the printed words in the book. When he was ready to write almost a year later we did our own order of introduction (grouping letters by strokes).

I love 100 Easy for teaching them the "say it fast," method. I think it really helps them learn to sound things out better than other books we've tried. I use the first twenty or so lessons and then switch as it's been boring for my kids. We use Progressive Phonics now (it's free) and they love the stories. It's a gentle intro for youngers who want to read but aren't ready for a full out reading/writing curricula. I added in Spelling You See Level A for my 5 year old as that seems to help things click in his brain.

I love 100 Easy for teaching them the "say it fast," method. I think it really helps them learn to sound things out better than other books we've tried. I use the first twenty or so lessons and then switch as it's been boring for my kids. We use Progressive Phonics now (it's free) and they love the stories. It's a gentle intro for youngers who want to read but aren't ready for a full out reading/writing curricula. I added in Spelling You See Level A for my 5 year old as that seems to help things click in his brain.

We did Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and added in HWOT and some dictation and journaling when dd was ready. I agree that workbooks can be hard for kiddos not ready to write much. My DDs reading level is grade level ahead of her writing level.

I have done similar to Texasmom33 with our 6 and 5 yo. Once they knew the most common sounds for each letter, we started with Webster's speller. I used the "say it fast" method from 100 Easy Lessons. So we would blend the syllable "ba" by saying it fast. That made it click for them.

Once they got to CVC words, we switched to Progressive Phonics. We are now finishing the Intermediate level stories. I let them choose Progressive Phonics or an actual book to read to me each day.

I could have made this post myself.  We did TRL with our oldest.  He did well and I want to use it with ds 2 now that he is 4.  My ds 1 didn't care for it much and like your child enjoyed the circling and matching activities best.  I was just asking about how to supplement.  I think I've decided I'll just search for some free phonics printables for whatever sound we are working on.  Please pm and let me know what you decide.  I'm curious.  I'll let you know what I decide too. 

Logic of English is working amazingly well here!  We tried several other things before LOE (including AAR), and LOE has been the best.  It is my kids favorite part of school too!  They are always talking about how much they love their dragon book, and my 7 year old is already asking me to order the C book (we are about to start B).

Edited by jmjs4

AAR is really easy to use and it's fun. I was impressed that even in the last level of AAR4 they still had new and different activities that DS loved. There is no writing in AAR. If you want to add in a workbook check out Memoria Press First Start Reading. It's a great gentle introduction to blending. You don't need the teacher's guide and the workbooks are very reasonably priced.