Menu

I'm wondering about underwear and anatomy.

kitten18

I don't think they have ever seemed like they were right for my body before or after kids. I overlap the seam with panty liners and pads. And what's worse is when the pad has wings and the wings don't line up as well as I'd like because I move the pad forward. TMI but whatever ha

Edited by heartlikealion

I have always had this problem, pre kids, post kids, huge butt, tiny butt, my whole life I have had this issue no matter my current size. Some brands are better than others but none are right.

I always did wonder why they had that bit in the wrong place lol

• Like 1

Welp in my teens undies  fit but once adult hood happen and my hips go larger and my butt bigger they haven't fit in 30 years.  I think who ever designs undies   uses teen or Barbie doll bodies cause they have never fit this women.  I've tried all types and the cotton liner sits to far back LOL  

Gosh what a crazy conversation LOL

Oh my gosh, I wondered about this for YEARS. In some brands, the little seam line (or, sometimes, it's not even sewn) for the gusset is at a sort of uncomfortable spot too.

I have a larger butt now, but I have had this issue since my teens, when I was pretty skinny. That makes me think it's something about body type or shape and not about the size of your body. If I got larger underwear, they'd definitely be too big.

• Like 1

Weird, this showed up in my newsfeed on FB and had a thumbnail image of underwear. See number 16. http://www.providr.com/now/things-you-didnt-know-about-objects/15/?utm_source=fbkxd&utm_medium=object_d_a

Basically, they are saying that the pairs that don't have the sewn edge were done that way because the sewn edge is uncomfortable. I don't believe everything on this list so take it with a grain of salt.

Weird, this showed up in my newsfeed on FB and had a thumbnail image of underwear. See number 16. http://www.providr.com/now/things-you-didnt-know-about-objects/15/?utm_source=fbkxd&utm_medium=object_d_a

Basically, they are saying that the pairs that don't have the sewn edge were done that way because the sewn edge is uncomfortable. I don't believe everything on this list so take it with a grain of salt.

So it's just coincidence that it is easier-thus-cheaper to sew if you don't enclose the seams?  Call me skeptical.  

To enclose both seams, you have to sew one then kind of roll up the entire thing (kind of like a burrito) and put it between the gusset and the main piece, then sew the other seam, then turn it right side out and add your elastic to the leg openings.  That's not very speedy.  It's much easier if you just sew one exposed seam at the back and leave the "pocket" in the front.  Easier means it is cheaper to sew, and can be sewn by someone with less skill.  And of course the smaller the gusset, the less fabric needed for it, so again, cheaper.

(Side note - I took a bathing suit class years ago and they taught the "burrito method", as it's known, so that you wouldn't have a pocket where, in the ocean, sand can uncomfortably accumulate!)  

The fancy (and expensive - as much as $20/pair!) breathable sports undies often have little to no sewing at all - the gusset is two pieces of featherweight fabric fused together, and the leg elastic is either super-thin and fused in place, or non-existent.  

• Like 2

OP, I think you have just won the internet tonight ;)

Yup. Same problem. Booty is on the more generous side but not huge. I don't particularly remember having this problem pre-kids, and I gave birth to 4, of that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1