Menu

What should I add to SOTW1 for young child?

There are so many hands on things you can do. We have those little Toob figures of Ancient Egyptian figures. We have a colorform set of an Egyptian scene. There are kits to build pyramids or toys of pyramids that are already made. I am sure they make these types of things for all cultures, especially Greek and Roman. There are great coloring books out there, but SOTW AG has them, so I would just use those too! Get lots of the suggested library books from the AG. My 4 yr old always followed along with her older sis and created her own notebook and did art projects with us and listened to all of the storybooks. 

I did SOTW 1 with my 4 year old (along with his first grade brother), and he just enjoyed listening to the stories and coloring the pictures from the activity guide.  The map work was way over his head, but I always printed one for him because he didn't want to be left out of what his big brother was doing.

Wendy

• Like 1

The activity book activities will be fun. I also purchased a number of the toob figures and downloaded pictures to create my own montessori matching cards which I laminated for a Montessori work. I also did a "dig" bin. I filled the bin with sand and buried ancient Egypt toob figure and gave them a hunt list. They then had to write in the name of the item. I bought a copy of Pepi and the Secret Name and a hieroglyphic set. They still talk about this. We wrote our names and my daughter did a bible verse in hieroglyphs. We did a sugar cube pyramid. Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile was a massive hit. There are so many things actually. Feel free to PM me and I can give you more ideas as you go along :)

as I've thrown out the kids elementary work now they they are high school I can attest to the fact they don't remember doing any of it.  Especially the super fun crafty things.  So advice from someone way past this stage, is don't bother. Play more, field trip more, and just enjoy reading/coloring.  Time line can be fun.  But they won't remember.  So don't stress out about it.  

In fact, the History Pockets we did....I kept one about American History since one kid is doing that next year and I want her to see every page she did way back then ;-)   Seriously, they won't remember, go have fun

• Like 3

as I've thrown out the kids elementary work now they they are high school I can attest to the fact they don't remember doing any of it.  Especially the super fun crafty things.  So advice from someone way past this stage, is don't bother. Play more, field trip more, and just enjoy reading/coloring.  Time line can be fun.  But they won't remember.  So don't stress out about it.  

In fact, the History Pockets we did....I kept one about American History since one kid is doing that next year and I want her to see every page she did way back then ;-)   Seriously, they won't remember, go have fun

Well, this is a relief, because my 4 and 7 year old love SOTW1 (actually, we're reading through it a second time at bedtime at their request), but they have never had the least bit of interest in any of the coloring pages or projects, nor in the supplemental Dover coloring books I've gotten.

We enjoyed building an arch with pebbles using playdough for mortar and removing the support once the keystone was in place.  Building an aqueduct from paper towel tubes lined with aluminum foil was fun too.  Other than that, picture books from the library that went along with the different topics, especially folk tales from other parts of the world, were a big hit with one of my 4yos.

Well, this is a relief, because my 4 and 7 year old love SOTW1 (actually, we're reading through it a second time at bedtime at their request), but they have never had the least bit of interest in any of the coloring pages or projects, nor in the supplemental Dover coloring books I've gotten.

Hee hee :) yep, this is true. However, we don't necessarily remember how we learned to read but yet we can do it. The information does get in there. They may not remember specifics but foundations are built and words become familiar for the next time they are introduced down the education road. It is still worthwhile to do them as they are laying that foundation for which later, deeper thought will come about. Coloring that pyramid in the history pocket is still making associations so don't lose heart ;)

• Like 1

The things my kids remember most from that time are the projects we did. I got a lot of ideas from things like Classical Kids, Ancient Rome Projects You Can Build Yourself, books like that...

Playmobil Romans or Egyptians are a cool thing to get to have as toys at that age - to encourage the knowledge to turn into play during free time. YMMV on that, of course.

Seconding the coloring books.

• Like 1

We lap booked our SOTW 1 narrations and activity guide assignments and projects (and/or photos of the projects) so we can pull them off the shelf and look through  them now and then to refresh their memory and see their progress.

We did simple 3 ring binders for SOTW 2-4 narrations and activity guide assignments and projects and we browse through them now and again. 

Now we're doing Greenleaf Guides and study packages for history and we keep the completed work in a 3 ring binders to look through sometimes. 

Will I keep those long term?  Maybe, maybe not, but formatted that way in a lapbook or binder it's easier to keep them and go back and review.  Options are good.

• Like 1

One of the highlights here this past year was a bin filled with kinetic sand. Michaels had small molds on sale that represented historical architecture ( the Taj Mahal, Greek temple, and one other). For each unit I switched out the mold and added Toob figures. It was just right for the 3yo here and the 6yo loved it, too.

• Like 1

My kids remember so many of the projects that we have made over the years. The Roman Road that we built in layers from SOTW1, the edible oasis out of candy, the greek ruins out of clay, the science experiments and science fair project boards and the costumes we've made and the mazes we have built out of toy blocks to act out Theseus and the Minotaur. They still laugh about the Barbie doll in the bear handpuppet that was our Minotaur monster, lol. They don't remember each paper cut out project of the viking ships or lighthouse of Alexandria or orange juice can lid windchime with historical faces on them that we made. But they remember tons. 

One of the highlights here this past year was a bin filled with kinetic sand. Michaels had small molds on sale that represented historical architecture ( the Taj Mahal, Greek temple, and one other). For each unit I switched out the mold and added Toob figures. It was just right for the 3yo here and the 6yo loved it, too.

That is very cool. I am going to look for those!