Menu

Automotive repair question - dirty headlights

sheryl

Do any of your dh's work in the repair dept. of a big auto dealership? 

I'd like to know how to clean the exterior (or possibly interior as well) of the headlights.   There is a dingy, yucky film on the headlights that I thought was inside but I was told it's very likely on the outside.

What products and method to use?  Would you kindly ask and share?   Hope someone can answer this with true automotive experience.

No my dh does not know anything, but I've had this.

Years ago was driving an older car. The headlights were dim. I thought I needed to replace them. Car was due for other maintenance so I added that to the list and took it the the mechanic I trusted (I don't usually go to dealerships for repair). They called me and said they could clean out the inside of my lights and gave me a quote on that, which was significantly cheaper than buying new headlights.

I have no idea what they did, but my lights worked well after that. It was definitely not the outside of the light.

Maybe the dealership you are talking to is focused on selling parts (new headlights) and so doesn't consider how to clean the headlight. Or maybe the headlights for your make and model can't get cleaned.

Recently, I've gotten lucky finding repairs buy using Google and YouTube with my year, make and model. Without that information it's kind of hard to guess what needs to be done, even with headlights. Every model seems to have a different design and there may be something different for each. It might be a small difference or enough to require special handling.

• Like 1

ok, thanks everyone.  I did not mention, although y'all understood, it's the headlight "cover" and not the actual bulb itself.  jean, good idea.  will try this first.  they are quite dirty.  then, proceed to other ideas listed.  thanks all!!!

Dh used one of those kits on a couple of our family's cars, and it really worked.  The difference between before and after is remarkable.  Be forewarned that it is messy.  You are basically sanding off the film with a circular disk using compounds.  The compound spins off and gets everywhere, so it's best done outside wearing old clothes.

I used one the DIY kits and it did some good, but I found a Groupon for a shop to do it and it was much, much better.  The plastic on the covers gets oxidized.  That makes them less clear.  I see that I will want to do again now that it has been about two years.  It cost me in Indianapolis with a Groupon about $35 and took about an hour.

I used one the DIY kits and it did some good, but I found a Groupon for a shop to do it and it was much, much better.  The plastic on the covers gets oxidized.  That makes them less clear.  I see that I will want to do again now that it has been about two years.  It cost me in Indianapolis with a Groupon about $35 and took about an hour.

You get the star!! :)   That was my concern all along and my reason for not going to big box stores to get a kit - the concern that it makes them less clear.  Hmmm. 

What do the automotive shops use then? 

I'll definitely look for a groupon.  Great idea!! Thanks!

• Like 1

You get the star!! :)   That was my concern all along and my reason for not going to big box stores to get a kit - the concern that it makes them less clear.  Hmmm. 

What do the automotive shops use then? 

I'll definitely look for a groupon.  Great idea!! Thanks!

Like the others said, compounding cleaner.

The shop used a power buffer to apply and clean the covers better than I could do at home.  So when I did it, it was a bit clearer.  When they did it, it was almost like new.  They have started to become more fuzzy again though after two years.