Menu

By the Onion Sea, Anna Karenina Class for Next Fall

Just want to mention here that we have decided to take a plunge with this class next fall for our language study.

https://bytheonionsea.com/tolstoy-chekhov-anna-2017/

Number of people recommended this class to us, including my daughter's beloved teacher at the Lukeion Project. It is a rigorous class that involves good amount of reading and writing, but I think it is well worth it.

Happy to post more, once it is going, but just want to alert people that the registration opened up for next fall, if anyone is interested.

Irene

• Like 8

Hopefully after taking this class she will be ready for the AP English in a year. That is a pragmatic in me talking. But I also think that Juila Denne is a very good teacher, and my daughter could work extra hard if she likes the teacher. She has done that in Sue Fisher's class at the Lukeion. Somehow I think Julia Denne is on par. So far no one has exceeded Sue Fisher in my DD's opinion. High bar, indeed. 

Actually, that is another class I highly recommend, Muse on the Loose and Muse Reloosed at the Lukeion. It is an excellent overview of Greek and Latin literature and the teacher is Excellent. They do 4 (fun) papers per semester and the feedback that my daughter got from the teacher was superb.

• 9 months later...

This was a semester long class that ended in December. It was excellent. We made the mistake of taking it at the same time as a DE Lit course so the reading load for both classes was massive, but that was our mistake. I really loved the way this class was organized, it was rigorous but with support built-in. For example, students keep notes via a weekly scavenger hunt on various assigned themes (my kid had “iron, railroads, books.†The term paper was therefore easier to put together because so many quotes were already there. The discussions were great, teacher well prepared, paper went through several rounds.

We will go to some length to fit whatever the next class Ms. Denne teaches next fall. Even if we have to double up again 😒

• Like 4

I saw this one on her website for next school year: https://bytheonionsea.com/online-classes/the-russian-revolution-2018-page/

That's what led me to this older thread and I had to find out. :) I'm concerned about the reading load though with dd taking Great Books 3 and Rhetoric 2 in addition.......but the class you took sounds awesome!

That class sounds wonderful! My Dd would have been over the moon to have been able to take that course with Julia.

Thanks for bringing this thread up. DD is with Julia for Russian. I've been curious what her literature class would be like, and it sounds like it could be fun. I'm just wondering if CLRC GC plus Julia's literature will be too much? I guess I'm trying to squeeze in some awesome classes before knowing what happens for 9th grade.

Chiming in late, but yes absolutely worthy class to take. I was initially concerned that the themes of Anna Karenina were a bit mature for my daughter. And  there were moments of "Mom! How could she do it? She has a son!" as she was reading the book. But Julia Denne is a superb teacher and while she set the high bar in her class, she was most supportive of her students. The discussions were deep (in class and in writing) and the final essay needed a lot of work and rewriting. But the teacher was always there and always supportive.

This was my daughter's favorite class along with Lone Pine Latin (which unfortunately closing down). And now she is saying she wants Julia classes every year. Recently she told me that there would be very little chance to have a teacher like Julia if she went to B&M high school. I had to agree :)

So, yes, I definitely recommend her. It's a high quality, thinking class. But your child should be ready to read close to 100 pages a week. 

• Like 1

And  there were moments of "Mom! How could she do it? She has a son!" as she was reading the book.

Mine is more, ahem, liberal. "Mom, what is a fallen woman?". Mom explains. DS "Interesting there's no 'fallen man' concept" :laugh:

The 100 pages a week are real. Especially when you double up with another class. Last semester about broke both of us. Worth it though

My friend once handed Anna Karenina to her daughter expecting great conversations to follow. She she was done, she just slammed the book on the kitchen table screaming “slut!†She refused to consider any other point of view. 😂

I think Anna Karenina needs read as a teen, and then again in one's 40s-ish ;) Levin's agriculture hasn't aged well though...I kept thinking "just you wait with your dilemmas, you'll see what's coming"

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 3